stock exhaust gasket

tiggen

(Yes, I already did a search.)

I am trying to put the stock muffler back on an 07 Ninja 650R and every time I try to slip it on, it catches on the wire mesh of the gasket, which has crumbled away a little. It therefore prevents me from sliding it all the way onto the header pipe.

So, my question, do I need to order a new gasket off BikeBandit, or is the kind of thing I can get at a Pep Boys et. al.

Do I even need it at all??

Thanks for the help!!

tiggen

Dogger, I'm sure I could if I knew what that was. What is it, where can I get some, and how do I use it?

dogger

Hi-temp rtv silicone is a caulk like stuff that comes in a tube. It can be purchased at any auto parts store. Remove whatever type of gasket there is. Goop the silicone around the female mating surface of the muffler (this would be the inside sleeve of the muffler that slides over the header pipe). Try to make a thick bead so it seals. It probably doesn't need a perfect seal but I can tell you're a stickler for detail. Carefully slide the muffler on. Fasten the clamps or whatever type of mounting hardware there is. Follow the curing instructions on the tube. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

tiggen

Still waiting on OEM type gasket. Normally I wouldn't care that much, but I am trying to sell the bike. Will let you know.

tiggen

What a huge PITA. Knocked the bike off the front stand trying to fit the thing on. Ended up having to remove the rear wheel. Basically shoehorned it on the mounting bolt. Just couldn't get the last 1/4 inch. But, it's on. Know my throttle is sticking. Will make another thread about that. Thanks again for the info.