(Strange?) body position question...

bryant#40

About a month ago I had to sell my RC51 :banghead: I now currently have no ride for the track :(. So today I was browsing through old track photos reminiscing and noticed something strange. Most of the time mid-corner and during apex-out my elbow and knee are touching all over each other:)p). I'm not sure but I don't think this is proper riding technique? I feel as though I should slightly adjust my grip and keep my elbow higher?? I need some expert advice here!

I have attached a few of the photos showing this, even one where it looks as though my knee is completely in the way obstructing my elbow/arm...

is this bad? I might be making a big deal out of nothing i don't know...
Also, I was thinking it was somewhat due to my height? I am 6'4'' w/ long legs. The RC51 always did seem like a ''small'' or ''tight'' bike ergonomics wise. In these pictures I have SATO adjustable rearsets dropped as low and back as they would go. Are there any adjustments or tips tall people do to 'fit' better on a superbike besides rearsets? There are a myriad of mods I can do on a dirtbike to make it so much more confidence inspiring and comfortable to ride. Seems not much I can do to a sportbike?
Thanks in advance for any input! it is appreciated!

P.S. I had problems attaching or uploading pictures to this post or my nesba profile so here is a link to the pictures of Elbow marries Knee

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69904945@N08/sets/72157628326895717/

LesPow

Control Rider
It's not a problem till it becomes a problem I guess. You look fine, and you answered your question. Your tall, RC51 prob has a more cramped riding position, and you never gave it a thought while riding. How did these old pics compare to what you were doing more recently? I bet you were doing the same thing.

j_fuggin_t

Youre tall its gonna happen, one thing i did notice, you're not opening your hips to the inside of the corner, in photos 2 & 5 you're either pointed straight ahead like in 2 pr like in 5 youre hips are pointing to the outside, essentially you're rolling around the tank and its not letting you get your hips to the inside. Other than that looks good to me

bryant#40

Rasta;225283 wrote: It's not a problem till it becomes a problem I guess. You look fine, and you answered your question. Your tall, RC51 prob has a more cramped riding position, and you never gave it a thought while riding. How did these old pics compare to what you were doing more recently? I bet you were doing the same thing.
Last trackday I did was early in 2010. I don't have many pictures other than ones I linked. But my ability/speed/lap times have been consistent, so I guess it hasn't changed since '08. But I've only been on the track a few times since 08-09.

Are there any particular models/sizes of sportbikes(clip-ons no bars) that are known to be roomy? or a brand of rearsets that are the most adjustable? I always did feel so cramped on the RC51, which often resulted in me riding with my ass glued to the front of the rear plastic cowling when I got tired after a few laps. For me to really get up on the front of the bike seemed to require so much more energy and effort...

gkotlin

Riding styles have to change on each bike you ride. If something doesn't work. Adjust. If it works. It's fine.

stkr

I have no idea what it's like to be cramped up on a bike...I'm only 5'7" :rolleyes: You look fine though. There's always room for improvement no matter who it is.

Body position changes with age and flexibility too. :doh:

eE jeremy

Same thing happens to me, though I found it did start to become an issue as I progressed, felt like I would 'bind up' and it was uncomfortable, I started dropping my elbow (basically push it out away from your body a little bit so that the elbow goes outside the knee rather than on top or on the inside. It's much more comfortable for me, but like other said, if it's not bothering you, then it's not a problem.

YCRS

Based on just those pictures...I would scoot you back in the seat 3-4" allowing your ribcage to clear the tank easier, so you can use your upper body a bit more.

bryant#40

As for my hips pointing out....I think thats a flexibility issue. I am extremely inflexible in the groin area and couldn't do a split half-way to the floor. That can be improved.
As for moving back in the seat 3-4''. I wish I could! MOST of the time I only have 0-1'' of room to scoot back because i'm already there!