Switching from a 180 to a 190 rear on a 03 636

Court Jester

195/70/17 sportmax slicks on now.
Ohlins front inerds and Penki rear.
Captive spacers with no trimming needed.

I had Trackside Engineering get the base worked out and went back to them several times over a weekend to get it pretty close and followed this ( http://www.superbikesunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300 ) on the next trip to the track.

Copy, paste, print it out, and sit down and read it over between sessions to get everything lined out all proper like.

Meat

Court Jester;90675 wrote: 195/70/17 sportmax slicks on now.
Ohlins front inerds and Penki rear.
Captive spacers with no trimming needed.

I had Trackside Engineering get the base worked out and went back to them several times over a weekend to get it pretty close and followed this ( http://www.superbikesunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300 ) on the next trip to the track.

Copy, paste, print it out, and sit down and read it over between sessions to get everything lined out all proper like.
The link requires login. Can you copy and paste into document and post up in the thread?

deadlast

My 06 636 was the same way. Talked to Thermosman and he told me to lower the rear of the bike all the way. (ie take the spacer completely out) and set the forks flush with the triple clamp. This was all with the stock suspension. It transformed that bike completely. I was using the same tire you were and having the same issues.

NickMcCoy

Can you tell us how cheap these tires are that it is worth all the trouble? I fully believe that trackday riders should save money by riding on used take-offs, that's why I listed mine here, but they would have to be almost free for me to put a really tall heavy tire like that on a bike with stock suspension.

Meat

NickMcCoy;96016 wrote: Can you tell us how cheap these tires are that it is worth all the trouble? I fully believe that trackday riders should save money by riding on used take-offs, that's why I listed mine here, but they would have to be almost free for me to put a really tall heavy tire like that on a bike with stock suspension.
I don't care for the feel of a 180 rear. Maybe it was the BT003's that I was running, but I really feel comfortable on a 190-195 rear on my 636.

If you are talking about saving money, running take-offs can be a way of doing it, but if they had a bunch of heat cycles on them and/or were not stored properly, you are going to end up paying more fixing your bike due to crash damage.

For me, running a 190 and 195 rear has nothing to do with money and everything to do with performance and feel.

Running race tires on the suspension that came from the dealer is not the way to get the most performance per dollar spent. A properly set up suspension on track (not all out race) tires would be a much better way to go.

sobottka

@ barber i tried a 190 dunlop comming off a 180 michelin. after the geometry changes i found almost no difference betrween a 180 and a 190 untill full blown race pace (or very front of the a group) and for most is a waste of time @ track days.... btw- the dunlop n-tecs are sweeeet!!
and take-offs are a gamble...eventually you get snake eyes!