Trying to figure out where to start

DizzyWizard

Hey guys and gals!
Im a 22yr old dad who's looking about getting into amateur racing. I was wondering if I could get some tips or even advice.
My questions are:
Can I transform my 03 Yamaha YZF-R6 into both a track and road riding bike?

If not what do y'all recommend for a track bike?

What performance parts should I start with first? I was reading about suspension first, but I wanted some opinions

How often should I change my racing tires, and what brand of racing tires are good?

I seen a racing suit for 1,000 on a motorcycle website, but wanted second opinions on what track suits worked for everyone.

I've been riding motorcycles for 2years now. I've had 03 Suzuki GSXR-600 and my 03 Yamaha R6. Any tips at all?

I called a racing track near me and they seemed to not know much about motorcycle racing but they told me I needed to complete a class there and attend some track days.

Thanks everyone for their help!!
-Dante

Attachments

• Snapchat-21073320.jpg
    Snapchat-21073320.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 5

tdelegram

Control Rider
See below: Hey guys and gals!
Im a 22yr old dad who's looking about getting into amateur racing. I was wondering if I could get some tips or even advice.
My questions are:

it will be a lot of work and most likely want to run race fairings to eliminate all lights change tires or have a second set of wheels for race tires vs street tires

you can get into a 300 or sv650 relatively cheap ready to race and they don’t eat tires like the larger bike.

What performance parts should I start with first? I was reading about suspension first, but I wanted some opinions

at a minimum get the bike suspension sprung for your weight, up graded brake pads, racing tires would be the minimum I would go assuming rest of the bike is solid (no leaks, suspension and head bearings good and lubed)

How often should I change my racing tires, and what brand of racing tires are good?

Ford or Chevy, on my r1 I am lucky to get 2 races, on my old 390 several weekends

I seen a racing suit for 1,000 on a motorcycle website, but wanted second opinions on what track suits worked for everyone.

saftey gear is an area not to skimp on

I've been riding motorcycles for 2years now. I've had 03 Suzuki GSXR-600 and my 03 Yamaha R6. Any tips at all?

do a couple track days first, you’ll get good coaching, more track time for you dollars spent, bike will be teched at a high level, can tape lights and run street rubber until your pace comes up. Most people who have never ridden on the track don’t understand how fast you can go compared to the street.

I called a racing track near me and they seemed to not know much about motorcycle racing but they told me I needed to complete a class there and attend some track days.

-Dange

Motofun352

Control Rider
Plenty of newer riders use their street bike for track days/intro racing. Take off the mirrors, disconnect all the lights and tape up all the lenses. Make your chain is on the loose side, your tires are in good shape, Make bike numbers out of contrasting color tape...these are the minimums...oh and read the rider manual. Nothing should be leaking, if so, fix it first as it will fail tech. Don't skimp on quality safety gear...lots of opinions on brands and makes but a good fit is probably the most important thing. You can buy a mighty fine set of leathers for less than $1000, just make sure you can return it if the fit isn't proper. Ditto for a helmet and full gauntlet gloves/boots.

A stock R6 is a fine track bike and stock parts will be more than adequate to start with. Assuming you're not the hulk, set the sag and be happy. Setting compression/rebound takes a little more than I can advise on this thread though there are many internet places to go. Pick a reliable one and stick with it if you want or there may be help at the track like Metric Devil Moto.

The biggest part of this sport is mental. A good attitude, willing to learn from those who have done exactly what you are about to do, will go a long way. Most importantly though is to have fun. Don't stress. :)
PS, I know you're talking about racing vs track days...a couple of track days and taking the race license class will get you over the "hump"

bmart

Control Rider
My comments after your questions:

Hey guys and gals!
B: Read other posts about track days vs. racing (time, expense, etc.)

My questions are:
B: Absolutely. I run two 2003 R6 bikes coaching and running around in the Advanced group.

B: You've already got it. Cheap. Tons of parts available. Reliable. Power through the RPMs so you've never stuck with nothing.

What performance parts should I start with first? I was reading about suspension first, but I wanted some opinions.
B: Stainless lines and good pads like RJLs. Suspension will make is much safer. At least get it resprung/valved for you if you're saving $ from going full Penske and high end revalving, Remove the posts sticking out of the bottoms of the pegs. I run mine with stock bars, rearsets, etc. so it is comfy to boot!

B: Varies greatly by brand, track surface, pace, riding style. I can kill two hard compound rear tires at CMP at speed in a day, yet can run a soft tire at VIR/Road Atlanta for many days at speed.

B: I'm Vanson hands down. Buy used and don't buy cheap stuff like Bilt. You don't get do overs in a crash.

B: It sounds like you're already smart enough to move from Suzuki to Yamaha! Safety and speed are mostly about being smooth and light on bike inputs and having good body position. Speed comes from that. If you start with speed...folks tend to crash a lot.

-Dante