WERA at Beaver Run 9/3 9/4

rk97

As of right now I'm only registered for Sunday races, but I'd like to get there before the solos so I can size up the competition ;)

The main variable is that my wife and dog are making the trip, so I have a feeling packing and planning is going to be a much bigger deal than my normal, "i'll buy that at the gas station" routine.

rk97

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned. I take that back, they went exactly as planned right up until I crashed :D

I was riding pretty well and have been told I was in 8th when I crashed in turn 2. The rider behind me tells me I spun the rear, and got the bike sideways. I slid on my right side, and then rolled a bunch when I hit the grass. The bike did some serious tumbling, although I honestly would have expected more damage. I think I'm lucky that the exhaust and the fairing stay took the impacts rather than the forks!

1315312341.jpg

rear tire at some grass
1315312305.jpg

Bike landed on the exhaust, but somehow didn't bend the sub-frame (that I can tell).
1315312377.jpg

The exhaust snapped at the back end, and then rotated down on the bracket. I believe the broken end of the exhaust is what did this to my tire.
1315312389.jpg

Clearly the fairing stay and windscreen were not built to be load-bearing components
1315312273.jpg

I walked away with a small bruise on my right ring finger, a sore toe on my right foot, and a purple left butt-cheek. Definitely feeling really lucky.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Wow, glad you're ok. And your gas tank looks completely unscathed! When I crashed in turn 1 at the Beave a couple of weeks ago, I completely destroyed my gas tank. And foot peg brackets, and exhaust hanger bracket, bodywork, both clipons, fairing stay....

But I was ok, just a minimally tweaked wrist.

rk97

well I know for sure the bike slid on its right side (as did I). my rear brake lever is snapped, and my frame slider is bent. The right-side controls are done, including snapping both throttle cables.

But otherwise, i think the tumbling must have been completely contained to the rear wheel (it definitely hit the exhaust can HARD), the exhaust itself, and then landing on the wind-screen. I will measure to be 100% sure, but I don't think the forks took any impact; at least not right-side up. The caps had a little dirt on them.

some guy #2

Any crash where you're more concerned about the bike than yourself is a good one! Heal up and congrats on losing the orange shirt!

rk97

some guy #2;212372 wrote: Any crash where you're more concerned about the bike than yourself is a good one!
Don't I know it!

To be fair though, before I even stopped rolling, i was thinking, "shit! Sara is going to KILL me." She almost never comes to the track, and I binned it in my first race of the weekend, on lap 3.

While I was standing back by the fence, I was tempted to walk over to the spectators and ask one of them to go tell her I was up and fine. When I convinced myself that was a bad idea, I finally started to take inventory of what parts were in the grass, and what was destroyed :D

Plus I was trying to determine if my helmet was still good. It isn't. :rolleyes:

rk97

The bike is officially running again :D

It helps to have all the plugs on the wiring harness (re)connected :doh:

Still a long way to go before It can be ridden, but at least I can change the oil and get antifreeze in the radiator before winter.