What ear plugs do you use?

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
The last couple of track days my left ear has been messed up for days until it finally clears up so I can hear normally again. I’ve wore Pinlock plugs and last time I tried regular disposable foam plugs but the outcome is still the same and always on my left ear only. Any suggestions on great ear plugs would be appreciated. I wear a Bell Star helmet at the track if that’s got anything to do with it. Maybe replace the head? :)
Thanks!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have small ear canals. I've tried customs several times, none worked. Most foamies didn't work for me either. The foamies I've used for years and work the best for me are made by Howard Leight, and the particular plug is called Laser Lite. They're the bright yellow/bright pink ones. Here's an Amazon link, but you can probably find a smaller quantity elsewhere. No sense in buying 200 if you don't like them, lol.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
The last couple of track days my left ear has been messed up for days until it finally clears up so I can hear normally again. I’ve wore Pinlock plugs and last time I tried regular disposable foam plugs but the outcome is still the same and always on my left ear only. Any suggestions on great ear plugs would be appreciated. I wear a Bell Star helmet at the track if that’s got anything to do with it. Maybe replace the head? :)
Thanks!
Are you putting them in right? There is a method. If you put them in wrong they can aurally make it louder for certain frequencies.

For the foam ones you need to roll them, not fold them. Then use the opposite hand to pull up on the ear from the top. This opens the ear canal. Then put the ear plug in twisting as you go. They should not stick out at all and be slightly below flush with the outer ear, but not so deep that you can't grab it with your finger tip.

It does make a difference. Some times I don't do it right and go out and everything is very loud.

Ron R

I don’t wear them riding but have used a bunch of different types shooting. Normally I get by fine with a set of the foam ones installed properly as mentioned above. But in some circumstances they don’t cut it so I use a pair I made with a kit from bass pro. It’s a two part mixture and you push it into your ear. I packed it hard like a wheel bearing. Let it set up for a couple of minutes and you have a really good ear plug that’ll last a very long time ( had mine for years) that fits you perfectly.

McTrackPack

CR #171
Control Rider
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I'll try out the ones mentioned and maybe I'm not cramming them in there far enough. I did roll up the foam ones I tried but I did not pull back on the ear so maybe that will make a big difference. I just can't afford to go any more deaf than I currently am cause then my wife will never get me to listen... ;)

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
I don’t wear them riding but have used a bunch of different types shooting. Normally I get by fine with a set of the foam ones installed properly as mentioned above. But in some circumstances they don’t cut it so I use a pair I made with a kit from bass pro. It’s a two part mixture and you push it into your ear. I packed it hard like a wheel bearing. Let it set up for a couple of minutes and you have a really good ear plug that’ll last a very long time ( had mine for years) that fits you perfectly.

Knowing my luck that stuff would get stuck in my ear and I would go deaf from trying not to go deaf!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You can cut them at the pointy end to make them shorter, but I've had decades of success with these.

Howard Leight Laser Lite

AND

Howard Leight MAX
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs-MAX1-USA/dp/B002DMLYBM

Buy a lifetime supply on eBay or Amazon for almost nothing and use them for track and street riding, leaf blowing, lawn mowing, and giving away to your track day buddies.

Good point, I forgot to mention that I need to shorten mine by cutting off the end that sticks out of your ear by a little bit. Otherwise, when I pull the helmet on, it catches them and pulls them partially out.

Putting them in correctly is also critical. I have a harder time getting the left one in far enough. I give it a few secs, too, to allow them to reexpand.

Arioch

1. Wet ear canal.
2. Roll up Laser Lite until it is nice an narrow.
3. At the same time you go to insert in ear with one hand, reach behind head with other hand and pull up and back on outer ear. This will open the canal and allow the plug to go in easily. Don't insert too far. Don't try to remove when fingers are sweaty. Dry fingers off first. I commute on a bike regularly and do this twice a day.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
Moldex Pura-Fit 6800. NRR33, about as good of a noise reduction rating (NRR) as you can go from what I've found. Really soft too, I could probably leave them in all day and feel fine. Can be bought on Amazon.

bmart

Control Rider
ha ha! I see a lot of guys do it too. I've never understood it, but I see it. Marquez likely has a professional ear cleaner for between sessions.

kram

The Surefire earpro is excellent and extremely comfortable. They stay put and are reusable.

flip998

I use Ultra Soft earplugs From Target. I have a rather small ear canal and these are the only ones that are comfortable for me. I can even sleep with them in and they do not bother me. They come in a plastic jar of 50 pairs.