When does your membership have to be active?

BonesDT

Does your membership have to be active the day you register/pay for credits or the day of the trackday?

Mine expires in April, so if I just have to register by then, it will be more of an incentive to pay for a credit bundle.

BonesDT

In other words, can I register for a May TD now, my registration expires in April, then show up to the TD w/o having to re-register?

Better yet, can I purchase a whole bunch of credits right now and save the money on re-registering for this year?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Membership is calendar year and renews from expiration. So if you expire in April and pay today, you still renew to April of next year. If you want to book a date your membership needs to be current for that date. As for buying credits, you should be able to do that with a valid membership at any time

JDog

BonesDT;39952 wrote: In other words, can I register for a May TD now, my registration expires in April, then show up to the TD w/o having to re-register?
No... and I'm having trouble figuring out what would make you think you could? Would be a fairly obvious "loophole' now wouldn't it? :doh:

Seriously.... it's $75.

rk97

there are actually a couple "fairly obvious loopholes" scattered throughout the NESBA handbook, so I see where the question comes from.

I think what he's saying (and i don't disagree) is that the site shouldn't allow you to register for a date when your membership will be expired - at least not without warning. I didn't encounter this scenario with my membership, so I can't speak to how it currently works.

there are going to be people who prefer it both ways; those who know their membership expires in June, and don't want to pay the renewal right now just to book a date in July, and those who will cry foul when they book a July date and are told they owe $75 when they show up at the track.

The simple solution is a disclaimer - if my membership expires next week, and I book a bunch of events today, I get a pop up notifying me "your membership is currently valid, but will expire prior to X number of events you have booked - either remove these X dates from your shopping cart by clicking _____, or click _____ to acknowledge that you understand you must renew your membership prior to attending these events; and proceed to checkout."

RyanITV

Admin
Your membership needs to be active when you show up to ride. If it's not, you run the risk of being turned away.

Ryan

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I remember registering for events last year and I would pick a date that was past my membership date and wouldn't allow me to purchase that date without a current membership. Obviously, the site has changed and so have the rules. We didn't have the credit purchase option last year. If the system allows you to apply credits towards an account that is expired, it should be fixed. If it allows you to apply credits to an expired account, then you could theoretically buy $10,000 in credits and use them for the next 5 years. Thus saving $375 in membership dues. Not worth it in my opinion.

RyanITV

Admin
Jim,

Go ahead and buy $10,000 in credits - they expire in a year.

I'm looking into closing the other loophole - it's there because we added the ability to tag multiple events for the cart at one time. In the interim, I'm also adding something to the sign-in sheets that shows if someone is expired or not - so if you try to get one over, you won't be able to ride.

Ryan

BonesDT

JDog;39986 wrote: what would make you think you could?
... because I can sign up for a TD after April and the checkout cart doesn't mention anything about renewing for an extra $75.

And I don't think it would be such a rip-off loophole. It would have been an incentive for me to dish out all my money right now and commit to it as opposed to later, which might be in the interest of NESBA.

Also, the loophole wouldn't work too often, only every other year, or maybe only every couple of years, so, since it's only $75, NESBA wouldn't be losing out too badly.

BonesDT

RyanITV;40051 wrote: so if you try to get one over
I'm not trying to pull a fast one, otherwise I wouldn't have publicly announced it on the forums.

I was asking to see if this was a legitimate strategy. I have no problem renewing my membership.

I was contemplating buying a credit bundle to get 15% savings, but it was still toeing the line with my funds. The extra $75 might have put convinced me to go all out now.

RyanITV

Admin
BonesDT;40099 wrote: I'm not trying to pull a fast one, otherwise I wouldn't have publicly announced it on the forums.

I was asking to see if this was a legitimate strategy. I have no problem renewing my membership.

I was contemplating buying a credit bundle to get 15% savings, but it was still toeing the line with my funds. The extra $75 might have put convinced me to go all out now.

Not saying you were - just warning anyone that was reading the thread and thinking they could do this to get out of the membership fee. :)

Ryan