Why do you ride what you ride?

bmart

Control Rider
With one weekend of WSBK in the books (Go Melandri and Sofuoglu!), GP about to start (Go Rossi!), some friends racing Roebling w/WERA this weekend (Go Dunham and Land!), and our track season about to burst to life, I'm not thinking of much else but two wheeled events and vehicles. It got me thinking...I wonder why folks ride the bikes they have? What made you choose the year, make, & model?

Mine are all easy. I just chose the best track bike ever made trading in the sub $3k category and bought two of them!

On a more serious note, I've had the good fortune of riding all kinds of bikes on the track and street. Most riders seem to say, "no thanks" when I offer them my bikes to ride, but my close friends aren't like that. We all believe in the more the merrier. Things are to share, and they are just things after all. If we break something, we replace it. End of story. It doesn't get in the way of enjoying something.

I'm not a muscular guy and I need to be able to climb all over the bike instead of using an injured shoulder to muscle it around. The 03-04 R6 ergos suit me perfectly. I love that it has enough power to pull me around at any RPM. I like old tech. FI is nice. No need for rider aids or other electronics. I use a key to open the fuel tank. I tried a 750 for three years and never got on with it. My CBR600RR was somewhere in the middle, but the R6 set up on its nose and with a giant 50T hoop on the back is what works for me. Apparently, I like my bikes old and ugly!

So, what's your story? Just like owning the newest stuff? Bought it for the color? Came with the trailer?

Attachments

• 20170917_113206sm.jpg
    20170917_113206sm.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 19

RyanJG

2012 R6.

Because I crash a lot and the market is flooded with spares and aftermarket go fast bits. :)

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Hope its ok that I chime in here since I havent done my first TD yet so I'm not "part of the family," but I've only been riding for 2 years (other than bicycles o_O) My wife was never keen on me getting a bike, especially since I always wanted an R6. When she finally came around we had to find something that she was still relatively comfortable on, so we looked at the FZ6R and got one.... It's been a great bike so far and has taught me a lot. I still want an R6 something fierce, and hopefully will be able to pick one up once I'm ready physically, mentally, and financially. lol

Oddly enough, as opposed as my wife was to riding at all, she now rides her own bike (Ducati Scrambler 62) and is interested in track days. We've been through the MSF course, and have taken an informal advanced course together, and have another scheduled in April together. She's a much better rider than I am, in my opinion.

Tl;DR - I have an FZ6r cause my wife made me get that instead of an R6.

ETA - Brad - Your bikes are far from old and ugly. Wouldnt mind having one of those myself. But then again i'm partial to just about everything... I dont think it gets much better than an old, ugly, rc51 ;)

Last edited:

bmart

Control Rider
That FZ6R will serve you well! (Consider an 03-05 CBR or 03-04 R6 when it is time. Cheap, capable, and tons of parts available.) I've always wanted a nice RC51, but I don't think that I could ride it very long due to the ergos. I haven't had the chance to try one... I've owned two 748 models. I loved them but comfy, they weren't! If I had my way, I wouldn't mind decent bodywork and tanks. Mine have been through the mill, most of it before I bought the damaged parts from fellow track/street riders after they crashed! This can be a very expensive sport ($50k toy hauler or tow vehicle/trailer, $20k bikes, etc... I do it on the cheap and put he $ into tires and comfy hotels instead. Each to their own.)

MrFrzz

slow and wide
That FZ6R will serve you well! (Consider an 03-05 CBR or 03-04 R6 when it is time. Cheap, capable, and tons of parts available.)

I'm proud of my fizzer lol. Those are the models I'm keeping my eye on as well.

I'm all about budgeting on the "fluff" so I can fund the gear and the bike.... now when it comes to HER bike.... I'm hoping she doesnt find out that aprilia makes low CC race bikes.... might be disastrous for me... luckily, My kidneys arent too damaged so I might get decent money for one.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Speaking of brand, I was a Honda man since I was a kid. However, in 2000 I got a chance to buy a 1997 Yamaha YZF1000. It was a great street bike, but not so much on the track. After my first track day in 2004, I knew I was hooked and began looking for a dedicated track bike. I was now a Yamaha fan and found a 2000 R1 for a steal. Hell, it was even painted just the way I like it. My next bike was a 2005 R1 bought in 2007 for $6k. I've ridden that bike for the past 10 seasons. My latest acquisition purchased in late 2016 is a 2015 R1 with every bell and whistle you can throw on it. This one wasn't cheap, but it was worth the price of admission. You don't say you need all the electronics, but once you ride a bike like this, you wonder how you were able to ride fast before.

As far as the size of the bike, that's easy. At 6'8" tall and well over 300 lbs. with gear, I need a high HP bike just to keep up with people on 600's. I tried riding an R6 once at VIR South and I absolutely hated it. You had to keep the RPM's within a small window or the bike would just bog down. You shifted endlessly and me with a size 14 boot, it made it very difficult to manage. With the litrebike, you can use the torque of the engine to run a higher gear and not really lose time.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
My first bike was an 02 R6(I miss her :() she had some engine problems that I couldn’t afford to fix so we had to go out separate ways.
The second bike I owned was a Buell Blast (I don’t miss that piece of junk!) I only bought it because I was bikeless and had to ride something.
Bike number 3 is my current ride a 2008 Yamaha FZ6. It’s nice for a commuter bike. I have done all my track days on her.
My newest edition is a 2009 CBR 600rr.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've had several bikes that did both street and track duty. Started track with a '92 Yamaha FZR 600. Then a '95 Ducati 900SS SP, then an '01 Honda CBR 929. The 929 was a blast, it was both my track and street ride, but I wanted to go back to a 600 when I decided to get a dedicated track bike. In 2006, I took the Kevin Schwantz School on their 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600s. I thought it would take me the better part of a day to get used to a different bike, but I was totally comfortable on it after a few laps. So I bought one new in 2007. Did all the usual upgrades for a trackbike. I still have it. It has close to 20k track miles on it, and still running just fine. I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon.

I loved the 2014-ish era R6 when I rode them at YCRS. The 2017 has a more dedicated "perched" riding position that I don't care for as much. I feel more like I'm sitting "in" my GSXR, kinda like my 929. It fits me. That being said, if I were to upgrade bikes, I'd look for a 2009-2015 R6.

chrisplm

Chris
Wow, loaded question! to keep a long story "relatively" short I have been riding RSV4's for the last 3 years (before they added 20hp in 2016).
I must say, its a bit heavy, makes you work in the tight twisties, and underpowered compared to the recent crop of liter bikes. (Lets just say the S1000RR makes my bike feel like a 750.) But I wanted something different than another inline 4. I love the sounds it makes and the power is very predictable. I did the Ducati thing for a while (848/1199), but found the price of admission on the Aprilia was a bit easier to handle.
I've been on and off many of the older and newer bikes other manufactures have to offer, and most of them have impressed me quite a bit, but right now I've got way to much money into my current bike to let it go :D:oops:.
I've also run GSXR 600 and 750. some people love the sit down in it feeling, but for me, I could never get it to work with my body position. Great bikes though, especially the jack of all trades 750!
That being said, I were thinking of going back to a 600, I love the triumph 675 and R6. The ergonomics fit me perfectly and they work amazing right out of the box.
If money were no object....I'd probably be that guy to go buy the Panigale V4.. yup I said it.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Wow, loaded question! to keep a long story "relatively" short I have been riding RSV4's for the last 3 years (before they added 20hp in 2016).
I must say, its a bit heavy, makes you work in the tight twisties, and underpowered compared to the recent crop of liter bikes. (Lets just say the S1000RR makes my bike feel like a 750.) But I wanted something different than another inline 4. I love the sounds it makes and the power is very predictable. I did the Ducati thing for a while (848/1199), but found the price of admission on the Aprilia was a bit easier to handle.
I've been on and off many of the older and newer bikes other manufactures have to offer, and most of them have impressed me quite a bit, but right now I've got way to much money into my current bike to let it go :D:oops:.
I've also run GSXR 600 and 750. some people love the sit down in it feeling, but for me, I could never get it to work with my body position. Great bikes though, especially the jack of all trades 750!
That being said, I were thinking of going back to a 600, I love the triumph 675 and R6. The ergonomics fit me perfectly and they work amazing right out of the box.
If money were no object....I'd probably be that guy to go buy the Panigale V4.. yup I said it.

None of you SOBs up there (meaning Todd, Chris, John and Don) are allowed to buy anything new. I'm very tired of being suckered into your ponzi schemes and buying all of your stuff! Todd - you're just getting blamed here because I hold you responsible for the entire bunch :)

chrisplm

Chris
Bill,
I forgot to mention the other day that I'll have a nice Zuma for sale soon too! I know you have one.. but I'll make you a great deal!:laugh:.
Oh and you can't blame Todd, we've been pulling these schemes long before Todd knew about it.

Ron R

I love motorcycles. To the point I’ve never ridden one I couldn’t find something positive to say about it. There is an obvious analogy here , but I digress. Started with a Yamaha 80 about 44yrs ago and have owned many brands since. Still favor Yamaha’s for dirt and track. Love my Harley for taking it easy on the street and there’s nothing sexier than the Ducati when I feel like really working the roads. I’m 56 now and in the middle of building a new R1 track bike. How’s that for optimism! Oh and I would Never pass on an opportunity to ride something.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Owned a little of everything from Honda CBX's to Hodakas. Fell under the Yamaha spell when I bought a FJ1100 back in '85 (still have it). Started out on the track on a R1 (way over-gunned for my skill level). Bought a GSXR 750 and that's where I've been for the last 10 years. There's always a bunch of riders going at your pace to allow for some fun although it's hard to stay out of the arms race sometimes! :)

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Owned a little of everything from Honda CBX's to Hodakas. Fell under the Yamaha spell when I bought a FJ1100 back in '85 (still have it). Started out on the track on a R1 (way over-gunned for my skill level). Bought a GSXR 750 and that's where I've been for the last 10 years. There's always a bunch of riders going at your pace to allow for some fun although it's hard to stay out of the arms race sometimes! :)

Combat Wombat...Nice!!!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yeah, back in my (way back) MX days, I lined up against a bunch of Hodakas, CZ/Jawas, Pentons, Maicos, Bultacos, Ossas, Montessas, Puchs..... Started before the YZ existed (rode an MX125) and before the RM (had a TM125). There was one thing in common between all of them. No matter if the kick starter was on the left or the right, they were all relative junk. If the younger guys who ride dirty bikes today got a feel for the junk we actually raced, they'd realize just how completely friggin nuts we were (are).

Motofun352

Control Rider
My Hodaka was just a plain ole' Wombat...the dual sport version. It's been apart so many times I've lost count. Currently sitting in a box with transmission woes...

bmart

Control Rider
Fell under the Yamaha spell when I bought a FJ1100 back in '85 (still have it). :)

Then you should like these! All 1200s, no 1100s or 1300s. One of the greatest two wheel packages ever made.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 10
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 10

Motofun352

Control Rider
Then you should like these! All 1200s, no 1100s or 1300s. One of the greatest two wheel packages ever made.
Funny how a certain bike grabs ahold of you...Also have a dark blue '89 to go with my hot rodded '85. Best description I ever heard for these bikes was "velvet sledgehammer"....

physicistkev

Control Rider
I was riding that 1990 GSXR in this org up until 2010. It's in the profile picture. It was fun and I didn't know that everything was so much better. Got the 2006 ZX6R (636) in 2011. Then in 2014 I picked up the 2007 GSXR 750. I went to the 750 for a little more grunt to CR with, as it's just a bit easier to play catchup with N/I riders with a bit more torque and hp. Not sure what I want to go to next, but I have a co-worker that has a cherry 2013 CBR600 that he is looking to get rid of.

For me it's function over form. I try to get the best thing I can for the price range I have. I have generally had Suzuki's, but I started on a 1986 Radian, 1989 Hurricane, 1990 GSXR, 2006 ZX6 and now the 2007 GSXR.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
I upgraded from an older EX250 to an SV650 so I had something (more) modern but something that would still force me to learn. I planned on it being a stepping stone but a few years later I'm still on it because I've put money into it and I feel it's a waste if I let it go at this point. Plus passing 180hp bikes like they're parked is fun.