Will this tire pass tech?

Cecil

See the attached photo, this is a Dunlop Q3 rear tire after a single track day (7/6) at NJMP Thunderbolt. I ride in advanced on an R1. Pressures were set at 30/29 cold front/rear, and max temps in hottest parts after coming off the track never exceeded 165-170F. It was brand-spanking new with no street miles on it before or after the track day. Date code 3714.

Would this be OK for another track day? If not, suggestions on a tire with similar or better grip that would hold up a bit longer?

Just knocking the rust off, not getting out to the track like I used to. But I seem to remember my tires lasting more than a day, like a couple of weekends. But that wasn't a liter bike.

Attachments

• Dunlop Q3.jpg
    Dunlop Q3.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 97

borislav

Control Rider
Since Thunderbolt has a lot more rights than lefts (obviously) you should have monitored condition of your tire and flip it at lunch brake so that way you would get more use out of it,this apply to any track for that matter!
Now to answer your question,I think that tire is too close to wear marks so you can squeeze another today out of it if you don't flip it,even then may not last (all depends how your suspension is set up,are you smooth on the throttle...)
You are in A and DOT or slicks will definitely give you more grip and longevity but I would highly recommend use of warmers for those tires!!!

sv650

Kendall
Are Q3's ok to flip? I've been running Q3's but haven't been flipping because I've heard mixed things.

It'll pass tech, but I don't know if you'll get a full day out of it... I usually bring a spare so that I have the option to swap it out over lunch if my tire is almost worn.

andykurz

That one looks to be ripe for a change very soon. Bo is right, especially on a liter bike and triple especially at Lightning, you need to be religious about flipping. I flip on a 600 after about 2-3 sessions at Lightning, but only after a full day at Thunderbolt.

When I have a tire that looks like yours, I run it for the first session or two while I'm warming up to finish it off.

Cecil

Thanks for the tips everyone. Have any particular tire in mind that will hold up better? 6 sessions to slaughter one tire seems a bit quick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

andykurz

Q3s hold up pretty well. If you move to a softer race tire, it probably wont last as long. It will certainly be more expensive. There are obviously tradeoffs between grip, longevity and price.

Certain tracks are really hard on tires, Lightning is one of the worst, and being on a 1000 makes it worse yet. Running warmers may extend life a little, if you are not already.

I guess you could slow down a little?

JUST KIDDING!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Try the Dunlop K447 and K448 slicks in Medium+ compound with warmers at 33F/23R hot off said warmers. I'm on an R6 and I get quite a bit of life out of my tires.

Cecil

I get the Q3's pretty cheap, and I'd be almost OK with getting even 2 days out of them. Warmers reduce heat cycles but this is straight up wear, I doubt warmers would have much effect, and I don't feel like making the $1200 investment in a generator and warmers. The payback seems pretty far off.

So alright, I'll have to think about it. Just wanted a sanity check that this is a reasonable amount of wear in a day. Thanks everyone!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I get the Q3's pretty cheap, and I'd be almost OK with getting even 2 days out of them. Warmers reduce heat cycles but this is straight up wear, I doubt warmers would have much effect, and I don't feel like making the $1200 investment in a generator and warmers. The payback seems pretty far off.

So alright, I'll have to think about it. Just wanted a sanity check that this is a reasonable amount of wear in a day. Thanks everyone!

I tried out the Pirelli track day slick these past two days at Summit (The one with the red stripe on it) with fantastic results. I was running 20's with it on Main and I know it's capable of lower times, I just need to get more comfortable with it. After two days of CR'ing and running in A group for a few sessions, it still looks brand new. Worth looking into if you're looking for extended tire life.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Cecil, you're on a liter and definitely on the gas! The wear actually looks good, no sign of hot, cold or geometry tear on that tire.

TProc

I tried out the Pirelli track day slick these past two days at Summit (The one with the red stripe on it) with fantastic results. I was running 20's with it on Main and I know it's capable of lower times, I just need to get more comfortable with it. After two days of CR'ing and running in A group for a few sessions, it still looks brand new. Worth looking into if you're looking for extended tire life.

What you paying for a set of these??
And are you running the 200 rear??

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I got mine from Collin @ ShagMoto. Yes, I am running the 200 rear. Worked great at PIRC, too. I put on my 180/60 SC2 rear on Sunday and could notice a definite improvement in grip over the track day slick, but I was still running a solid mid-upper pack A group pace with the track day slick.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
The Dunlop Med and Med+ Slick rear wears like iron. I got 9+ days on a med rear slick last season at A pace on a 600 and it still had a lot of life left in it.