Yamaha Y-Track vs Aim Sportline

Holmes

Looking for rider feedback by those who have used the Yamaha Y-Track app on an R1 or R6 and possibly compare that with their experience of using the AiM Solo 2 DL or the Smartycam HD GP Rev 2.2 which can also collect valuable data. I know the clear benefit is the Aim can be used for video overlay.

The data would be used to compare laps objectively to make improvements between sessions or between track days. Fellow rider opinions would be valuable before forking out $$$. I apologize if there is a similar post out there.

Also, I am considering going to Barber at the end of November. I live in Pittsburgh and may be looking for a group to carpool with. If you are interested LMK.

Thanks,
Michael

Kwick

Control Rider
I have an R1 with the Yamaha CCU and I use Y-track. I find it to be very useful, however it does have limitations in that I can't use it as a video overlay. At this point it also only allows a start finish slip marker so it can't do predictive "best" lap times. I have not used the AiM Solo DL so can't make a direct comparison, but I can tell you all of the data that I can see with the Y-track:

GPS Samples at 10hz
-Engine rpm
-Throttle grip %
-Throttle %
-Front wheel speed
-Rear wheel speed
-GPS speed
-Gear
-Water temp (why?)
-Air temp (why?)
-Fuel
-Lean angle (in single degree increments since last update)
-Pitch (degrees/sec)
-Acceleration-X (in G's)
-Acceleration-Y (in G's)
-Front brake pressure (bar)
-Rear brake pressure (bar)
-------
-TCS intervention
-SCS intervention
-LIF intervention
-LCS intervention
-F-ABS
-R-ABS

Holmes

I have an R1 with the Yamaha CCU and I use Y-track. I find it to be very useful, however it does have limitations in that I can't use it as a video overlay. At this point it also only allows a start finish slip marker so it can't do predictive "best" lap times. I have not used the AiM Solo DL so can't make a direct comparison, but I can tell you all of the data that I can see with the Y-track:

GPS Samples at 10hz
-Engine rpm
-Throttle grip %
-Throttle %
-Front wheel speed
-Rear wheel speed
-GPS speed
-Gear
-Water temp (why?)
-Air temp (why?)
-Fuel
-Lean angle (in single degree increments since last update)
-Pitch (degrees/sec)
-Acceleration-X (in G's)
-Acceleration-Y (in G's)
-Front brake pressure (bar)
-Rear brake pressure (bar)
-------
-TCS intervention
-SCS intervention
-LIF intervention
-LCS intervention
-F-ABS
-R-ABS

Thank you. Any issues with the app not working, bugs with updates, or is it reliable?

Kwick

Control Rider
Once I figured out how to make work the app, it became very easy. There is not really a good instructional vid ...

Biggest issue I had was with the track map and start finish line. One thing to keep in mind is while you can configure as many track maps as you want in the App, you have to actually make sure to upload the current track you are riding at to the bike in order for lap times to work properly. Ie. if you typically ride at pitt race and you have that specific track uploaded to the bike, then you plan to ride Barber, you have to open the App ... pick Barber ... and upload to bike so that it knows to use that start/finish line.

App has not been buggy for me. I use it on my phone, but have seen it on my brothers tablet. It is much nicer on a large screen for analysis, but and android phone works well enough. No idea about how it works on IOS

JC1

Y-TRAC is pretty simple and intuitive as far as loggers go, I was able to grab my files and compare them against each other in the provided phone software within a few minutes of clicking around.

My buddy has the AiM Solo 2, and it actually does a lot more than you think it would. The splits function is helpful in cobbling together your best sector times while you are learning, but it also has onboard gyros and accelerometers, that would give you braking force, and lean angle as well. We observed abnormally high braking decel numbers, so it may need some data filtering. His big complaint was the battery life on the unit, but you can hard wire as well.

In terms of usable data between the two for improving laptimes, the big missing piece would be throttle %. But is that worth 4x the money to you?

It really boils down to how much time and effort you want to spend, and how you want to use the data. For an out of the box solution to help you tune your riding, Y-TRAC seems to hit all the big data points needed. It's intuitive, easy to digest, no post processing the data needed, etc. The limitations noted above are certain drawbacks.

For the same money as Y-TRAC, a real AiM dash logger would let you pickup all the same channels from the R1's canbus system, but has much greater flexibility regarding logging frequency for real bike tuning scenarios, not just rider tuning. Mainly, tire/suspension setup is near impossible @ 10 Hz max logging rate of the Y-TRAC, you will be unable to tune beyond the basic spring rate adjustments, whereas the AiM will go up to 1,000 Hz, allowing you to fine-tune your compression and rebound dampers settings. That said, the learning curve is steep, and nothing will just "work", you'll likely have to do quite a bit of research yourself to figure out how it goes together, how to filter the data for the best output, and only once you nail all that down will you realize the full benefit.