YEC vs ECU re-flash vs PC V

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I picked up a 2009 R6 which has a full M4 exhaust. I also picked up a PC V w/autotune to re-map air/fuel because of the full exhaust. After some more research and digging, I found two other options are to buy a new YEC ECU or get the stock ECU re-flashed to remove the stock restrictions built into the ECU.

Does anyone have any good information on what are the pros/cons of each of these? If you do the YEC/re-flash ECU, does it still help to have a PC V or will I just be causing myself issues?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Wawazat

On my 09 R1, I had a PCV with a custom dyno tune. I have since added a reflashed ECU. The bike has not been on a dyno since, but there are obvious improvements.
With that said, I still think the fuel mapping could be dialed in a little better.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
I went from a mapped PC to the race ECU. World of difference and worth it. A few others have them that will probably chime in. If you want the particulars, but give Markbilt a call. They have done a lot of them.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
jcurtis;225739 wrote: I went from a mapped PC to the race ECU. World of difference and worth it. A few others have them that will probably chime in. If you want the particulars, but give Markbilt a call. They have done a lot of them.
Are you running both the PC and race ECU at the same time, or is that overkill?

1up5down

Control Rider
dark nater;225757 wrote: Are you running both the PC and race ECU at the same time, or is that overkill?
You will not need the PC V if you get the YEC/Race ECU as the YEC/Race ECU does what the PC V does and so much more. Give Markbilt a call as he can hook you up what you need. The YEC/Race ECU is the way to go!

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I don't think I'll drop the $$ for the YEC ECU, would probably just get the stock ECU reflashed. Do you need a special cable to change the ECUs to tweak them?

I have a local shop that will dyno my bike, send the results and stock ECU to jettuning to get flashed and then dyno again when they get it back and tweak it for $450. Does that seem decent?

1up5down

Control Rider
dark nater;225822 wrote: I don't think I'll drop the $$ for the YEC ECU, would probably just get the stock ECU reflashed. Do you need a special cable to change the ECUs to tweak them?

I have a local shop that will dyno my bike, send the results and stock ECU to jettuning to get flashed and then dyno again when they get it back and tweak it for $450. Does that seem decent?
I think you should give Markbilt a call before you make your final decision as you may be surprised at your options.

Regarding your question above. Are you stating that you can get the reflashed ecu and dyno for $450 or $450 just the dyno cost? If the $450 includes the dyno time and unit, that's a good deal as the reflashed units typically run $450+. Not too many shops are willing to give out free dyno time.

Now, if that is $450 for the dyno time + the cost of the reflash unit. You need to drop that idea and call Markbilt.

Good luck!

ZxRegg6r

One thing I found out about the R6 is that you have to figure out what kinda R6 you want. Fast, Guided Missile, or a Rocket Ship!! In order to figure out which way to go.
I went with the cpu reflash because it was a cheaper option and with other tid bits you FEEL it in ya pants. Powercommander removed. Problem is after you have that done, if you decide that you want some other go fast options like a fuel mapping switch this require more surgery to your exsisting harness (labor cost). Yec system (and harness) you can just plugin. Options are already there I believe. If I would have planned right (patiently)I might have went with Yec only because you have do more room for further upgrades (without so much cutting and splicing of harness) to get closer to WARP SPEED!!!!! But all in all Im very happy with my decision. Bike fast enough for me. (somewhere between Fast and Guided Missile).

P.S. Mark is the man. But you better have a plan cause he's gonna look at you with a smile and say" what cha wanna do?".
Your Plan = $$$ Fast
His Plan= $$$$$$$ Very-very Fast, LOL

27Ducati

I'm curious... what does a YEC kit for a current model R6 typically cost? I believe it requires a separate harness too?

1up5down

Control Rider
27Ducati;226618 wrote: I'm curious... what does a YEC kit for a current model R6 typically cost? I believe it requires a separate harness too?
Well, if you can gain access to purchasing an authentic YEC ECU is not cheap. Yes, you have to purchase the full harness or the sub-harness (which requires altering the stock harness). Time is money, so the full harness is the way to go unless you have the expertise and time to alert the stocker.

YEC Kit ECU + Full kit harness = $2,000ish :wow: The prices have gone up from the years past. Probably due to the demand and limited supply in the US.

27Ducati

Yikes. I had my "new to me" 09 R6 tuned yesterday and the throttle position restrictions from the factory YCC-T sure isn't doing anyone any favors in the power department. $2k is a serious chunk of change to correct it though.

Thanks for the info.

1up5down

Control Rider
27Ducati;226627 wrote: yeah, I saw that... an interesting alternative for sure.
An alternative, yes! Interesting, not so much a it's been verified by those who know the authentic YEC stuff to be the same.

1up5down

Control Rider
27Ducati;226630 wrote: I'll have to save up some pennies :D
It's cheaper than the full bazazz unit and comparable to a PC V, ignition module and quick shifter. The big kicker is it provides way more usefulness on the track, then the others mentioned.