Looking for your enclosed trailer air conditioning ideas!

Rydell

Looking into installing a AC unit into my 7x12 enclosed for obvious reasons. I figure we got atleast a few trailer camping vets I could petition. I think I speak for everyone that attended VIR's last July event, those 100+ temps nearly knocked my ass out :box:

The trailer I have currently has a roof vent, so I'm gambling the idea of a used RV roof ac unit. These suckers are going for over 400 new. Hellz nawww. Seeing a few good deals on craigs, though. Have any of you guys installed a window unit into your trailer? Not a big fan of cutting a huge hole in the front of my very expensive 7x12, but with some of these temps we've been getting, I'll do it as a last resort.

Mikey75702

They have portable air conditioners.... I will have to see if I can find a make real fast though.... easiest bet is to have an rv style ac system installed, but as you said, its kinda expensive.

I was thinking a ductless split would be good, but they're pricey too. I'll neb around with my buddy at James River, see what he can come up with.

aowens2

I have a similiar simple enclosed trailer. Have a window unit mounted up front. I have to take a pic if your interested in seeing. We mounted it to the frame rails of the trailer. No regrets and its been there for a year now. Put silicone around it for weatherproofing, no leaks. I would try to find a window unit that makes heat also just incase you want to use it some other time.

grapesmuggler27

Rydell;175048 wrote: I like this idea. No cutting or installation required.
Well you HAVE to vent the air out if the structure somehow so some type of side vent or something would work. I did't see the specs on this but I'm guessing that its 115v 15a, so on good hot day your going to be running close to the 15a but under a smaller load and the size of trailer your cooling maybe looking at pulling 7-9ish amps so just mkae sure your generator is sixed right for something like this and warmers. This are really decent units we have used them in emergency situations when a customer NEEDS AC and I cant get the unit running so they make a good temp solution or nice for trackdays

Meat

I have a portable a/c unit that I vent through the floor of my v-nose (very clean and I can even plug the hole back up if I want to). My trailer isn't insulated and I am more suited for the North Pole than the equator, so I am going to get a second a/c unit and run 2 this year.

1literduceater

I did insulate my trailer. Not sure it was worth my time but its done - sides and roof. I do not run my unit during the day. Trailer stays wide open all day. At night when I am going to take a shower I run the dehumidifier. When I get back I turn on the AC. Within an hour is cold and I mean cold. Again smaller trailer. My only issue is I cant seem to find the perfect temp. Its either way too cold or just a bit warm. I am usually too tired after a day of hard riding to get up and make adjustments. I am even too lazy to grab the remote that is less then 2 feet from my head and make the adjustments needed.

Off topic - you guys that have the portable AC units....you leave them in your trailer year round or do you bring them in the house during the off season???

Meat

1literduceater;175129 wrote:

Off topic - you guys that have the portable AC units....you leave them in your trailer year round or do you bring them in the house during the off season???
I bring mine inside because I don't have room in the garage for it. Everything comes out of the trailer and come inside, except the grill, canopies and tools.

Kegger

I put a carrier Air-V rooftop AC unit on mine when the roof vent broke. The prices of some of the units posted are about what I paid for mine.

Since this is a purpose built RV unit, it is designed to be bounced around while traveling.

Issues I encountered:
Since my trailer is all aluminum, the weight of the unit was too much for the roof. I had to brace two cross members with angle iron across the top of the trailer to give it enough support.

The amps load is fairly high when the unit cycles on, so you have to run 10 gauge wire to the hookup if its over say 20-30 feet. (I installed an outside RV twist type 30 amp hookup and purchased a marine grade 8 gauge hookup cord 30 feet long) If the wire is too thin,it will heat up, draw amps and pop the fuse for everybody in the pits - dont be that guy.

The wiring inside the trailer to the unit is also 8 gauge for the ac circuit (only 14 gauge for the lighting and regular outlets)

I went a bit overkill on the inside and outside extension cord just in case the refrigerator compressor and the AC unit decide to kick on at the same time.

All I have to say is when we went to Barber in July(i think it was 108 degrees in the shade), I was certainly glad I put the work and $$ into it. It has already paid for itself in comfortable air conditioned nights without a hotel bill. ;)

Rydell

I wonder if 50 amp wiring would be enough for tire warmers, lights, and portable ac :notsure:

I'm thinking about doing the wiring inside the trailer for this, including the portable ac unit...

:idea:...Is it crazy to throw a spare flat screen up on the wall for weekend events?

Kegger

Rydell;175960 wrote:

:idea:...Is it crazy to throw a spare flat screen up on the wall for weekend events?
Of course not! Although I have considered it, I didnt do it cuz we end up drinking and bench racing everynight, not sitting in our trailers...................

dbakerpa

I used a portable for a while and then installed a house unit in the deck I built into the V for storage. Ducted to the front wall and installed a marine hatch for ventilation and access to my power cords. Drainage pan underneath with a floor drain. $127 for the unit (walmart). $60 for the hatch. 2 hour install.

dbakerpa

nevermind I was bored so here they go
ac3.jpg
[/IMG]
ac2.jpg
[/IMG]
ac4.jpg
[/IMG]
ac1.jpg