New guy trying not to screw up (to much)

AceWaters

Figured I'd follow through with the obligatory new guy introduction post instead of doing actual work on this fine Tuesday morning. Started out last year with the two day course with California Superbike School at VIR. Completed levels 1 & 2, didn't crash and learned A LOT. Missed out on YCRS in September at NJMP that a buddy said was fantastic, so hopefully I'll check that off the list at some point this year.

Did my first track day with Motorcycle Excitement solo at Summit Point main in September on my 1290 with stock tires (knock off Q3's). Lowsided in turn five during the second session after fiddling with tire pressure. Made it out unscathed apart from the R1 that ran me over.. he went down as well. All in all a good learning experience that spurred me to invest in my first track only bike, a track ready 2006 CBR600RR that I am currently stripping down and prepping for the upcoming season.

Goals for this year:
Complete levels 3 & 4 at CSS
Ride with Josh Herrin at YCRS
Suck less at summit point
Ride VIR as much as possible

Look forward to meeting some of you guys.

-Collin

bmart

Control Rider
You're certainly on the right track, Collin. Trying different courses and groups, and experimenting/learning about your bike's capabilities and your own. The Q3 rear is a superb tire. I've run some of my best times on it vs. the race rubber I also run. Great feedback and available everywhere.

Be sure to talk to as many instructors as you can. Each will have a slightly different view on any given part of a track. Exploring will help you find what works for you and help you develop your trackcraft (I think that I just coined that!). Spend time with them on the track following and being followed. Ask for feedback. Spend time with them in the pits at lunch, between sessions, to bring them a cold water...whatever. We love working with participants.

I hope to see you at some track days in 2018. It sounds like you'll be at VIR. (And don't be shy about asking questions on the forum regarding the bike, track days, being coached, etc. )

AceWaters

Tim, yeah I scooped up Mikes 600 on Saturday.. it won't be blue for much longer! Brad, Thanks man. Thats what I was most impressed with at the Motorcycle Excitement track day at summit, everyone was really friendly/approachable. Showing up as a first timer by yourself can be a little intimidating, but everyone is there for the same thing. Theres a certain amount of camaraderie between motorcycle folks in general, I was pleased to see that it's even more so with track guys. Looking forward to learning as much as I can this year!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Collin,

First off welcome. Secondly, I have ridden with many trackday groups and by far N2 is the best of the bunch. If you’re at main feel free to look me up, I usually don’t miss an opportunity to tide there. Additionally continue to post up questions, this is a great grasp of enthusiasts that all have been where you are at today.

Tom

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Collin! As these guys said, you won't meet a friendlier, more helpful group. The CRs are there to give you feedback and help you become a better rider. We're one big happy, albeit dysfunctional, family!

bmart

Control Rider
Tim, yeah I scooped up Mikes 600 on Saturday.. it won't be blue for much longer! Brad, Thanks man. Thats what I was most impressed with at the Motorcycle Excitement track day at summit, everyone was really friendly/approachable. Showing up as a first timer by yourself can be a little intimidating, but everyone is there for the same thing. Theres a certain amount of camaraderie between motorcycle folks in general, I was pleased to see that it's even more so with track guys. Looking forward to learning as much as I can this year!

I don't golf, and my friend doesn't ride bikes, but he said something about golf that I frequently use to explain motorcycling, particularly on the track. "It is a game of 8"...the space between your ears." All of the high dollar gear and equipment in the world won't help you improve as a rider, but training and seat time will do wonders.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
Welcome to N2 Collin!!
I’m familiar with that soon to no longer be blue 600rr and looking forward to seeing it again. With you on it!

AceWaters

haha, it's been so damn cold here the last few weeks I didn't know what to do with myself yesterday. Felt like summer. Just going to keep my head buried in this bike until mid March or so.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to N2 Collin! Great idea you're getting ready now because it's going to be a super fun season!

AceWaters

Thanks Vinny, looking forward to getting back on the track. Hopefully I can save up enough cash between now and March to get a little trailer.. I though building cars was an expensive hobby.. Jesus!

meanstrk

Control Rider
Welcome! I am sure I saw you at the CSS school since I work with them at VIR. I look forward to seeing you again!

AceWaters

Thanks man! Funny I remember seeing some dude on a neon orange bike pulling wheels coming out of 16 headed down the straight like a boss. Kudos to you sir.

Shinji43

Welcome Collin! I'll be trying to hit up VIR in Jul during my visit back to the east coast tracks this summer, so maybe might see ya around the paddock!