VIR 2018

2blueyam

So has anyone done the grass / gravel pits with race tires and tire warmers? I would assume that you would pick up grass, gravel, dirt, etc. You could of course clean that off before installing the warmers when you pit in, but would it be an issue when you head out on track? Am I overthinking this?

I could run street tires (Q3 or similar) without warmers of course, but I wouldn't want to mess with changing tires before running North the next day so that doesn't seem like a good option. It looks like there is another org running NCBike on Sunday, so that might be an option.

bmart

Control Rider
It isn't the best pit. Most folks either park at the edge on the gravel and deal with it or bring a 4x8 piece of plywood to more easily use their stands on. Many just accept warming the tires by using them! Personally, I park on the edge and enjoy the challenge of the stands and warmers.

By the time you roll onto the track, you're not dragging any "stuff" on with you. The very top of the paddock, where the coaches park/tech/etc., is paved, as is the staging and pit in/out area.

This track will wear you down...in a good way. If you need body position practice, where you need to look practice, or pass planning practice, this place will raise your skill level over he course of the day.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
It isn't the best pit. Most folks either park at the edge on the gravel and deal with it or bring a 4x8 piece of plywood to more easily use their stands on. Many just accept warming the tires by using them! Personally, I park on the edge and enjoy the challenge of the stands and warmers.

By the time you roll onto the track, you're not dragging any "stuff" on with you. The very top of the paddock, where the coaches park/tech/etc., is paved, as is the staging and pit in/out area.

This track will wear you down...in a good way. If you need body position practice, where you need to look practice, or pass planning practice, this place will raise your skill level over he course of the day.

Agreed on all counts. I also just dealt with slicks and warmers.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Something else to consider is NC Bike has sooo much grip, one of my favorites.

bmart

Control Rider
And if you don't laugh because of how fun it is and swear because of how technical it is on nearly every lap...

Patriot is a superb track to learn (and have fun) on, without the "monkey holding the throttle wide open" bit. :)

Pick a rider. Follow them for most of a session (learning/stalking) and see if you can plan a clean pass and stay in front (using skill, not brawn) until the end of the session.

If you get passed during a session, follow that rider...and find out why.

I'm stoked just typing with you guys/gals about it!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Patriot didn't seem to have an over abundance of grip in March last year :) I know especially going up the hill to the sharp switchback chicanes at the top of the hill, my rear tire was moving around a bit!

bmart

Control Rider
And another the direction we're likely to run it (counter clockwise, referred to as backwards) but WITHOUT the chicane.

Grip there can be tricky in cooler temps. My personal belief is that there isn't a lack of grip, but a major lean angle right off the bat on what can be a cooler track and tires. I've never wanted for more grip at VIR on any configuration.

There were a lot of crashes going up the hill in the first session or two last year, but again, very cool temps and many riders inexperienced at the course.

Kurt_Orban

I'll be there for both days. Trying to figure out what rubber to run on what may be a cold track

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
The rules remain the same. Race tires will only cool down from the warmer temps unless you push them...which is a special skill in cold temps, especially if you sit on pit lane for a bit. I run a race front (because they are cheap and I have a closet full of them), and a Q3 rear at 35.5F hot off the warmers. It has a MUCH broader temperature range that it will work in and will also carry a pace well into the advanced group.

Spare wheels, of course, help a lot in this regard...bring a set of each!

YOLOrider87

YOLO:
For what it's worth VIR(N) is a fantastic track. Variety is the spice of life, after all...

I agree with that. The more and more I speak with people about VIR all say the same thing, "if you haven't been, go!....its a FUN track". I'm off that Sunday/Monday so I can make it a two day trip and be well rested for Monday. Hopefully mother nature blesses us with decent weather. VIR hosts CCS mid atlantic/southeast region races which will benefit me learning because at some point i'll be taking the road racing school to obtain my license.

YOLOrider87

I'm chomping at the bit for this season to get started.... what places you guys recommend for lodging? I notice theirs nothing in Alton, Va besides inside VIR which I can bet will cost an arm and a leg if not unavailable. I was thinking South Boston, VA....its about 30 min from VIR.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
The lodge at VIR is actually quite reasonable. If not, there is a Comfort Inn not to far away that I stayed at a couple times.

bmart

Control Rider
And a LOT of people camp or RV at the track, many of them sleeping in their enclosed trailers. It is a great way to meet people. No one wants to meet me...so I'll be at a hotel. :)

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Yup, I stay in my very own Hillbilly Hilton. If the interior walls of my trailer could talk.....