New Rider from PA... Is my gear acceptable?

aplaner77

Hey everyone, new rider from Northeast PA. Looking forward to getting in some days down in NJ this year. My only question is I have an Alpinestars jacket and pants combo. They zip together in the middle. The rules say "full circumference zipper" and the zipper on these goes maybe 80% around. Will I be able to use these? Just don't want to show up and not be able to use them. Thanks, AP

Motofun352

Control Rider
None of the 2 piece leathers actually are "full" circumference due the need for zippers, etc. I think you should be OK with an Alpinestars combo...the issue is with the combo units that only have a zipper in the back about 8 or 10 inches long. In the event of a get-off the leathers must stay together without exposing any "soft parts" underneath.

aplaner77

Okay I understand. I didn't realize they made 2 piece suits with that small of a zipper. I just didn't want to show up and look like I had no idea what I was doing haha. Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Agree with Jack, that's fine. "full circumference" actually goes about 3/4 around or so. Don't worry about not looking like you know what you're doing, LOL. Everyone is here to help. Sounds like you've already read through the Riders' Manual, which is a great start! Be prepared to learn a ton and have a blast!

dave675

Spend the money and get yourself a one piece suit. Even though a two piece will pass tech, a one piece is what you want if you're going to be on the track.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Have to agree with Dave. I started out with an Alpinestars 2 piece suit. I think I used it twice, and switched to a one piece. Find a good deal on a used one piece suit for the track and you'll thank yourself forever.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Okay I understand. I didn't realize they made 2 piece suits with that small of a zipper. I just didn't want to show up and look like I had no idea what I was doing haha. Thanks

No one expects you to know everything on your first day and you are practicing good due diligence and investigating what you need to do before you come.

As others have said above, 1 piece suits are far more comfortable. When you have a 2 piece you have overlapping material, seams, and zippers at a very crucial flex point on the body. Add in a back protector strap and it gets really restrictive. The last thing you want when trying to be precise with your motor controls is your gear wadding up and making you uncomfortable.

Welcome and enjoy your first day!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Don't over think this, sounds like your 2 piece is OK. This sport can be pretty expensive and I would go with what you already own until you are ready to upgrade. I will add that the 2 piece is a lot easier to remove the top jacket for cool off purposes when in the pits. The important part is getting to the track so we set the hooks in and start the addiction! :D:D:D
PS, what part of NE PA? (Benton, here)

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Jack, fwiw I found zipping and unzipping the jacket from the pants a bigger pita than just draping the shoulders and sleeves at my waist on a one piece. Could just be me.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Jack, fwiw I found zipping and unzipping the jacket from the pants a bigger pita than just draping the shoulders and sleeves at my waist on a one piece. Could just be me.
True, everything is a compromise. My main issue is getting a new guy to the track with as little extra expense than is necessary. I do own a set of 2 piece leathers that I've used for street riding for over 20 years. I found that a (very) little soap on the zipper acts as a lube to make it a little easier.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Totally agree. I bought my first one piece suit used for $250. Function over form :)

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome!!! Sounds like your suit will be fine. Don't worry about upgrading yet.....let the addiction take care of that...lol. You will find many "I have to have X....Y....and Z" before your done with your first weekend. The good thing is 90% of it you can justify by saying, "It will make me safer". It's the upgrades that you find yourself saying "It will make me faster" that you should avoid. Nothing will make you faster than seat time. You can buy a season pass for what a suspension upgrade cost and unless you've maxed out the capabilities of the stock suspension, an upgrade is pointless. I know lots of fast people who can smoke 95% of the riders on track with a bone stock R6. Priority #1 safety. Priority #2 seat time. Priority #3 performance parts. Many people get the #2 & #3 priority mixed up and can't figure out why they are not advancing on their $20,000 R6. Riding a variety of tracks and a Quality School like YCRS will do more for you than Ohlins or a set of slicks will do.

Also, don't be afraid to tell people you are new. All of us were there at one point and everyone likes to help new riders out. The people parked next to you may just become your closest friends soon so ask questions. The staff is interested in getting you on track to have fun and be safe. They will do anything humanly possible to make that happen both in tech and registration to on track coaching. Bring plenty of water and food. Dehydration can end your day in a heartbeat.

Myers

Control Rider
+1 to what John mentions above..... your 2 piece suit, gloves, helmet and boots.... you show up.. come find an orange shirt (CR) and say "Good morning, Im new.. dont know what to do OR how do I do" and next thing you know..you will have a friendly face accompany you through the "newness".... the only thing we ever ask .... is that as you come up to speed.. you remember your journey, remember being new...and you pay it forward.

Just the other day on facebook... I had a memory pop up (not going to date myself with the age ;)) but it was the first R6.... that I had loaded up on Tuesday for my first trackday ever that coming Saturday (couple days early... i was excited :)).... I remember showing up without the ramps to get my bike out of the truck... and a CR helped me. NJMP Lightning track. Warm memory, powerful motivation.

Myers