Getting ready

Yamaha851

Hey, I'm getting ready for my first track day on a motorcycle, CMP September 1st.

I'm prepping a new-to-me 2004 Yamaha R6, I was wondering if there was any definite measurements for remaining tread depth, brake pad thickness, etc? I don't want any surprises during tech.

I'm also wondering what is popular or recommended for boots? I plan to rent a suit for my first weekend but would like to get my own boots. I'm wondering what anybody else likes.

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to getting out there!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! If you haven't already, check out our Riders' Manual https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

I think it says 50% tread left on the tires. How old are they? If over 4 years, consider changing. As long as there is decent tread left, they aren't bald or squared off you should be fine. Brake pads, make sure about 50% left, that they aren't worn down so much that the wear groove is now flush with pad material. If it's a new-to-you used bike and you don't know how long the pads/tires have been on, it can't hurt to change them.

I like Alpinestar Supertech Rs, or SMX. Lots of folks also use Sidi.

Be prepared to have fun, learn a lot, and meet a lot of really cool people! Everyone is happy to help. When you get to the track, introduce yourself to your pit neighbors, they'll help with any questions.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard. I am not aware if any measurements but a good rule of thumb is 50% or better. I personally wouldn’t push on a worn tire or brake pads as it’s not worth the risk. Regarding boots, that’s like a ford or Chevy question, I personally run the Sidi vortice which might be overkill for a first timer if you don’t know if you’ll be coming back. Again, I look at safety equipment as an area not to skimp on, I want the best protection I can get.

Motofun352

Control Rider
If you buy your boots on-line make sure of the return policy. Sidi's tend to run a little narrow (in my opinion). I've bought 2 different pairs of size 46, one was OK and one was too narrow...go figure. Alpinestars seem to be more forgiving. If you're shopping price there are many other brands that also give good service.

Yamaha851

Thanks for the response everyone. I was able to try a couple boots at cycle gear earlier today, I'm curious how shifting will feel wearing a full boot. May have to adjust technique a little, I've never worn a boot taller than the ankle before

I'm hesitant to dump a lot of money into this bike right away but new brakes and tires are cheaper than a crash. Better safe than sorry.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Make sure to contact a CR prior to going out on the track for some basic body position advice. Your foot position is the foundation for good BP. Everybody has a theory on this, mine is picture picking up a golf ball with your bare foot. That hollow spot is the spot you want to feel the very end of your peg on your foot. Now, to the best of your ability, point your foot to the ground on the inside of the turn. This opens your hips and leg allowing your body to get parallel to the bike (one ass cheek off the seat). Sounds simple but it's not. I've yet to see a new rider "assume the position"..... Don't sweat it, we love to help and like to see you guys and gals progress.

mpusch

Micah
Thanks for the response everyone. I was able to try a couple boots at cycle gear earlier today, I'm curious how shifting will feel wearing a full boot. May have to adjust technique a little, I've never worn a boot taller than the ankle before

I'm hesitant to dump a lot of money into this bike right away but new brakes and tires are cheaper than a crash. Better safe than sorry.

You're off to a great start! Not as much mechanical safety margin with bikes, so there's no point in skimping on the things that really matter.

bmart

Control Rider
Hey, I'm getting ready for my first track day on a motorcycle, CMP September 1st.

I'm prepping a new-to-me 2004 Yamaha R6, I was wondering if there was any definite measurements for remaining tread depth, brake pad thickness, etc? I don't want any surprises during tech.

I'm also wondering what is popular or recommended for boots? I plan to rent a suit for my first weekend but would like to get my own boots. I'm wondering what anybody else likes.

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to getting out there!

Yamaha851 sounds like a Yamacati! You've got great taste in bikes. I have an '03 and an '04 track bike.

A first track day is something special. Savor it. Don't rush things. Listen to the coaches and and get one every time you go out. Talk to them when you come in. Sit with them between sessions including lunch. Take pics.

Personally, I wear Alpinestars botts. They fit like slippers, wear like iron, and protect like a tank.

>=50% tread is what we look for. Less tread means less rubber which means that the tire won't hold the heat as much. Less heat equals less grip, so it is all about safety.

Look me up when you're at CMP. #23...old school R6.

Yamaha851

Thanks for the input, I've been here two days and have no doubt this will be a great group to ride with and learn from.

Yamaha851

What do you wear under your leather? I'll rent my suit the first time or two, I'm guessing I want to wear long sleeve wicking pants and shirt, and a back protector?

Motofun352

Control Rider
What do you wear under your leather? I'll rent my suit the first time or two, I'm guessing I want to wear long sleeve wicking pants and shirt, and a back protector?
Polypropline, summer weight, compression, long sleeve stuff is what most of us wear. It helps with sweating/evaporation and mostly it makes getting leathers off and on so much easier. A plus that you're looking into a back protector too. We don't require one but it's a very good idea.

bmart

Control Rider

Something slippery that breathes a lot. I just get cheap stuff at Walmart/Target. Be sure to in advance, or bring tools for it at the track, adjust the pedals to accommodate your proper body/foot position with the new boots.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Someone's getting a little personal...:D