What kind of camera?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I’m looking into getting a GoPro for track use only. I will probably just get a used one from Craigslist. Any suggestions on which one and what it’s worth used?

mdhokie

No idea what they're worth used, but I'd recommend at GoPro Hero 5 or greater...while I don't use any of the wifi stuff, the GPS speed and track map overlays on the videos is awesome. Example:

Got a camera. What kind of mount works well for a good looking video?
A sticky one on the nose or a tank mount?

mdhokie

Try all of them! I've tried video from my handlebars, on the tank, facing backwards from the front, facing forwards from the back; all are good for seeing different things. I think the best perspective for cool-looking video is from behind the windscreen (you lose perspective if it's all the way in the front); tail section pointing forwards is very helpful for reviewing your own body position though.

Try all of them! I've tried video from my handlebars, on the tank, facing backwards from the front, facing forwards from the back; all are good for seeing different things. I think the best perspective for cool-looking video is from behind the windscreen (you lose perspective if it's all the way in the front); tail section pointing forwards is very helpful for reviewing your own body position though.
How did you mount it behind the windscreen? Bolt on tank mount?

mdhokie

Oh yeah, and don't forget to add safety wire to the camera frame to another anchor spot, no matter what mount you use.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to add safety wire to the camera frame to another anchor spot, no matter what mount you use.
I will definitely safely the camera, probably twice. I got some new safety wire pliers and have been practicing on wiring everything in site. You should see my 3 year old’s balance bike. :rofl:

Bought my daughter a knockoff 2 years ago..it was 1/3 the price and came with all the various mounting options. There is no video processing tech in the camera though. It just records and plays. Video quality is excellent. There's a nice crash video of me on you tube taken with that camera onboard. Funny as the bike spun on its way into the dirt you can see me sliding behind it.
Edit: didn't see the date of origin on this thread.

No idea what they're worth used, but I'd recommend at GoPro Hero 5 or greater...while I don't use any of the wifi stuff, the GPS speed and track map overlays on the videos is awesome. Example:
Nice video. What frame rate and resolution are you using in this video? Are the map and speedometer already part of the camera’s firmware? Thanks

mdhokie

Nice video. What frame rate and resolution are you using in this video? Are the map and speedometer already part of the camera’s firmware? Thanks
60fps, 1080p. To get the map and speedometer (there are other optional controls as well), you have to double-click the video in the lousy Quik software and click the dials button. Then export a clip. That's all I'd ever use Quik for to add the gauges; its video editing features are not all that great. Just feed the exported clip into another video editor if you need to do anything fancy.

G2G

You can mount them anywhere. In this video for my Pikes Peak qualification I had them mounted everywhere. you can see one on my swing arm and I also had one on my helmet and under my tail section. You don't need the latest and greatest. This is a go pro from 4 years ago.

You can mount them anywhere. In this video for my Pikes Peak qualification I had them mounted everywhere. you can see one on my swing arm and I also had one on my helmet and under my tail section. You don't need the latest and greatest. This is a go pro from 4 years ago.

I agree with you about not needing latest and greatest. I picked up a GoPro Hero 5 Black that still looks and function like new for $175 a couple of days ago. I figured that just a few years ago it WAS the latest and greatest. Nobody was complaining then.
Do you ever splice different camera shots from the same ride together?

G2G

Mike I am not that talented. LOL I had a friend that worked as part of my pit crew that did all the camera stuff. He had a bunch of cameras and downloaded the video after every practice run and race. I would study the film them go back out. He is the one that uploaded the you tube link I posted.

mdhokie

About not needing the latest and greatest, yeah, but it depends on what you're using the video for. Even the older ones or off-brands can do 1080p video that looks pretty good. I was using the GPS data from the GoPro 5 to track my corner speeds and lap times as well which made it an extremely valuable tool for mid-day or end-of-the-day feedback, especially compared against my buddy's video which let me see which corners he was faster, and which corners I was faster. Later I got a GPS lap timer which gives me all the data logging I need, so the camera is mainly just for video again. Even so, the track map is very handy when scrolling through the video to see where I am.

Anyone got any 3” GoPro extension bits that I could buy, rent or borrow this Saturday and Sunday at RA?