Okay. Mechanic training recommendations, anyone?

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
So, I was reading this thread about tools for carbureutor repairs https://forum.n2td.org/index.php?threads/tool-recommends-for-carb-stuff.41277/#post-333423

...and thought, I have need to knock out an item on my bucket list. Why? Because I have tools.

Just kidding. But, seriously, I thought it would be good to get some formal training and certification.

I work on my bikes all the time, Yamaha and Honda mostly.

I'm looking for hands-on training with various brands of bikes and in all areas of a bike.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences to share (good, bad or indifferent)?

Thanks.

Kruizen

Control Rider
I just toured a community college in Michigan that has a major program, family
Member teaches for the program.

They offer frame building to complete engine building, Dyno tuning classes, powder coating classes, etc

CBRtist

I was the OP of that thread, and I've done some research. Originally I was exploring a certification program at a community college but due to my location, that would have been an over hour commute. That kind of time I do not have. So if you have one that is closer to you, go for it.

My option was taking small engine repair classes (probably too elementary for you) and then I'm left to just tinker myself, and/or try to find an apprenticeship.

If you want to forgo the formal training route, there are dealerships that will allow you to apprentice, and based on how well you do as an apprentice, they will pay the classes for you to get certified (and I believe there are multiple certifications you can get).

I'm not interested so much in the piece of paper to frame and put on my wall. I did it because, as a woman track rider with a girl racer, I felt helpless with us showing up solo to small and big tracks and knowing almost nothing when it came to internal workings (especially on her Honda 50). I also want to save $$$ on service ($250-$300 for a carb clean? Um noooo thank you!).

The thing is, that most males are raised around power equipment. I've never even pushed a lawn mower so I'm starting at rock bottom in addition to all the tool purchases. I think it will be well worth it, and also to teach my daughter while I learn. After all... what's better than a girl who rides? One who wrenches too! lol. Besides, if I never stop being slow, I can always help out people who are fast and live vicariously :rofl:

BTW, if anybody track people are looking for an apprentice with a limited schedule or just don't mind someone looking over your shoulder at the track while you tinker on something, Let me know!

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Thanks Eric and Wendy. Yeah, I see now that I was reading your post Wendy. I didn't know about the apprenticeship but will look into that as well as the college training. I was curious about the "motorcycle mechanic" schools like MMI. Most are out of state and, even then, I wonder if they're a waste of money?

I have my own, fledgling workshop (it's a mess, btw) and, until about 2 months ago, had 9 bikes in it. I find myself spending time researching the procedure, tools and parts I need, and thought some sort of training/certification might be ideal. Sounds appealing but I'll know once I look into the leads you suggested.

Thanks again.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
The thing is, that most males are raised around power equipment. I've never even pushed a lawn mower so I'm starting at rock bottom in addition to all the tool purchases. I think it will be well worth it, and also to teach my daughter while I learn. After all... what's better than a girl who rides? One who wrenches too! lol. Besides, if I never stop being slow, I can always help out people who are fast and live vicariously :rofl:

BTW, if anybody track people are looking for an apprentice with a limited schedule or just don't mind someone looking over your shoulder at the track while you tinker on something, Let me know!

3MR is always recruiting for pit crew assistance! :D

CBRtist

I was curious about the "motorcycle mechanic" schools like MMI. Most are out of state and, even then, I wonder if they're a waste of money?.

My friend who is a mechanic, and now has his own biz, graduated from MMI and he was very pleased with their program FWIW.