2007 CBR600RR gearing

djhurayt

Having recently acquired a "new to me" track bike that came with a pile of front and rear sprockets, my first event on this scoot will be Road Atlanta. Can anybody suggest a starting point on what gear set I might like to start with.

bmart

Control Rider
I run in a 04 R6 and went down one in the front and up two in the back to get to 15/50. I've not had to change it for any of the tracks in the southeast.

djhurayt

hmmmm, 15/43 is significantly different and in the other direction than 15/50, ???, anybody else have any input?

MrFrzz

slow and wide
I've only ridden at Road Atlanta once, but I still have stock gearing; 16/42. I was NOT topping the bike out on the back straight and as long as I was doing my part, the bike had plenty of get up and go. The biggest areas of concern I saw were in the exit of T5. I think one morning session found me 1 or 2 gears too high and the bike was a dog coming up and out.

Was bumped into I group after lunch and ran the last 2 sessions there. Even still, I wasnt quite at the top end of the bike. I THINK I saw 153 on the speedo coming down the hill, still braking way early into T10.

I think T1 would be a crucial area as well to be in the right gear as you work back up the hill, but I struggled in T1 all day.

YOLOrider87

I would start stock and get a feel for it (16/42) which i believe is the stock gearing for any cbr 600 2007+, when you start changing sprockets keep in mind that it affects your speedo/drive/top end . I have several sprockets myself and enjoy +2 in the rear with stock front at most tracks in north east (summit, pitt, ncbike, NJMP). I ran a taller gearing up front for Daytona last march due to the long banking and played around with a cpl smaller sprockets in the rear. Start with a baseline and see what works for you. Another helpful website for gearing is www.gearingcommander.com.

djhurayt

Wait a minute, I'm cornfused. 16/42 is the stock gearing you say, from Brad's reply I got the impression stock gearing was 16/48. ???
Brad: was that possibly a typo, or maybe the '04 was geared significantly different than '07+, ???

YOLOrider87

Wait a minute, I'm cornfused. 16/42 is the stock gearing you say, from Brad's reply I got the impression stock gearing was 16/48. ???
Brad: was that possibly a typo, or maybe the '04 was geared significantly different than '07+, ???

bmarts gearing he was referring to if im not mistaken is for his 2004 yamaha r6 which is completely different from the cbr 600rr stock gearing. 16/48 is stock for that r6.... your CBR is 16/42 stock gearing. So yes they are geared significantly different r6 compared to cbr600.