What hand grips do you recommend?

bmart

Control Rider
I have Renthal on one of my bikes, but all of the others have stock. Did you wear them out?

Motofun352

Control Rider
So many variables from soft, medium to hard. Also slick or sticky and thin to fat. Really hard to pick one for someone else. Make sure if you replace them to use some grip glue and safety wire them so they can't slip or twist.

Jgelack

I have Renthal on one of my bikes, but all of the others have stock. Did you wear them out?
No, not even close. Sometimes I find my right hand going numb, and someone recommended changing grips to something with a softer compound. Maybe I just need to lighten my grip on the bar a little more.

bmart

Control Rider
I think that you're onto something there... Also, you may find that your bar ends aren't heavy enough. My little 400 can do that to me with out holding on at all...

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
No, not even close. Sometimes I find my right hand going numb, and someone recommended changing grips to something with a softer compound. Maybe I just need to lighten my grip on the bar a little more.
I like the Renthal soft grips. For the right hand going numb, yes, a lighter grip is recommended. You may also want to look where your brake (and clutch) lever is located. You want it located so that when you are squeezing the brake your hand is in-line with your forearm. I see a lot of people who have the brake lever too high so your hand is rotated up cutting off circulation at the wrist.

Jgelack

I like the Renthal soft grips. For the right hand going numb, yes, a lighter grip is recommended. You may also want to look where your brake (and clutch) lever is located. You want it located so that when you are squeezing the brake your hand is in-line with your forearm. I see a lot of people who have the brake lever too high so your hand is rotated up cutting off circulation at the wrist.
Rental grips seem pretty popular. I did adjust my levers so they are in the correct position, so I don't think the numbness is a result of that. I do believe I need to work on lightening my grip on the bars. Sometimes I just have so many things going through my mind that I forget to keep the weight off the bars, I will have to work on that. Thanks for the advice guys!

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Rental grips seem pretty popular. I did adjust my levers so they are in the correct position, so I don't think the numbness is a result of that. I do believe I need to work on lightening my grip on the bars. Sometimes I just have so many things going through my mind that I forget to keep the weight off the bars, I will have to work on that. Thanks for the advice guys!
Let me know when you are planning to ride and we or one of our instructors can go over some body position techniques that help you relax arms/hands.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
Any coach is happy to help. Unsolicited advice...pick one thing to work on each session, adding to the last session. Muscle fatigue is popular (I used to be near death after a track day). We had a rider last weekend at NC Bike who was considering going home as his appendages (keep it clean!) were killing after a few sessions. We talked about it a couple of times. He finally "made it happen" and hung out for the rest of the day, without the sore muscles!

Jgelack

Let me know when you are planning to ride and we or one of our instructors can go over some body position techniques that help you relax arms/hands.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Absolutely, I would really appreciate that! I plan on being a sponge and soaking up as much information as I can.

Jgelack

Any coach is happy to help. Unsolicited advice...pick one thing to work on each session, adding to the last session. Muscle fatigue is popular (I used to be near death after a track day). We had a rider last weekend at NC Bike who was considering going home as his appendages (keep it clean!) were killing after a few sessions. We talked about it a couple of times. He finally "made it happen" and hung out for the rest of the day, without the sore muscles!
Thanks for the tip on working on one thing per session, and building on that. I understand alot of the techniques, but trying to put them all together on the bike at once can be challenging. Thanks everyone for all your advice!