race fuel reccomendations

djhurayt

What are those of you that are running race fuels running? VP, what blend? Sunoco, … Are you running it straight out of the can or mixing with pump gas (preferably non-ethanol)?

And if anybody has an specific recommendations for an 07 CBR600RR, stock motor, Akrapovic complete exhaust, Power Commander III USB, I'm all ears

david

tdelegram

Control Rider
You’re bike will be fine running high octane pump fuel. Throw some fuel stabilizer in the tank on your last session and Use the dollar savings to get more track days.

To answer specially, my rc8rr is tuned on T4 which is about $70 per 5 gallons. I need 98 octane or higher due to the compression ratio. I only use the bike to coach in novice where I am not burning a lot of fuel. My 2018 r1 is mapped with pump gas and it’s my primary race bike, I have not needed any additional power from it yet, when I do, I’ll concentrate on more corner speed on to long straights rather than just relying on twisting the grip.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Another vote for pump. IMO total waste of time unless you have a built motor that requires the higher octane and/or running top 5 in your race class and need that little bit to get to the podium. But if money is no object and the smell gives you tht oh so special feeling than go for it and run VP. Also if that’s the case (the money not the feeling) I could use a sponsor :)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I see a lot of guys running the MR12 with stock motors to get a few more ponies. You have to get your bike tuned again if you don't have motor work don't expect any miracles. 93 pump fuel

bmart

Control Rider
Correct. I don't even go up to 93 on mine unless it is all that is available! Fuel isn't what's slowing us down. lol

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hahaha, my '07 GSXR 600 manual says to use regular 87, so that's what I do!
I just wish I could find ethanol free easily available. I just throw in marine Stabil since I don't have time to hunt down an airport or marina where I might be able to get it.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I see a lot of guys running the MR12 with stock motors to get a few more ponies. You have to get your bike tuned again if you don't have motor work don't expect any miracles. 93 pump fuel
Down side to mr12 is it is caustic and destroys plastic, rubber and causes damage to aluminum so you have to drain the tank after riding and run some other fuel through the bike for storage week to week.

YOLOrider87

What are those of you that are running race fuels running? VP, what blend? Sunoco, … Are you running it straight out of the can or mixing with pump gas (preferably non-ethanol)?

And if anybody has an specific recommendations for an 07 CBR600RR, stock motor, Akrapovic complete exhaust, Power Commander III USB, I'm all ears

david

2011 Cbr600rr stock motor with a bit over 20K in miles and yes its still running strong! Pump gas (93 octane) and I have a second map on sunoco 260 gtx plus (104 octane unleaded). I personally dont like the idea of draining MR12 after every race weekend and the possible damages that can come from letting it sit inside your tank, I can very much leave Sunoco 260 inside and not have to worry about it..its also much cheaper then MR12.

djhurayt

interesting, the VP tech actually recommended T-4 or VPR

and yes, I'm sure the bike could be significantly faster if I would just put down the fork, but as D561 says its more about that sweat smell that reminds me of the bean oil we used to mix with our two smokers.

I would be mixing with non-ethanol pump gas. And if your mixing in small quantities of race gas (25%, 3 gal of 89 + 1 gal of 106 = 93) to increase the octane of lower level fuels, overall it is not that expensive relative to the money each of us has invested in bikes and gear. And that sweat smell....:devil:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Down side to mr12 is it is caustic and destroys plastic, rubber and causes damage to aluminum so you have to drain the tank after riding and run some other fuel through the bike for storage week to week.
Yeah I guess it can be some what of a pain in the arse...

djhurayt

FWIW, I asked VP about leaving VPR (this particular VP Racing blend) in a steel fuel tanked, fuel injected bike (i.e. 07 CBR600RR). I was concerned about leaving it in for a few weeks between events and that for long term (off season) it would be removed. At a mixture of about 30oz per gallon (enough to bring 91 octane to 94) they said it could be left for 3 or 4 months without issues.