Can you recommend a good canopy?

Jgelack

Hi, I was wondering if someone could recommend a good canopy. After doing a little research, I see most people suggest avoiding the cheap ones and instead recommend going with a more expensive model. EZ Up seems to be one of the most popular brands, but after checking out their website, I'm a little lost! There are so many models with prices ranging from just over $100 to over $1000, and everything in between. Can you tell me what model EZ Up is most popular at the track? Is 10 x 10 a good size for one bike? And does the color of the canopy make any difference at all? I really don't mind investing some money on this, if it will last the long haul. I appreciate any advice you can give me!

bmart

Control Rider
10 x 15. You'll appreciate the extra space without a lot more weight. I like the Strongway from Northern Tool, just don't leave it up in the rain/heavy wind...like any canopy. They are on sale now for $200.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have a 10x10 EZ-Up, with a steel frame. The better canopies will have cross bars, not sure how to explain it. The cheap ones just have an outer frame. The more sturdy ones have cross bars running like a "+" from the middle of the sides. That offers better stability. But if it's really windy and rainy, they're all gonna get destroyed. Just ensure that in all weather, you have it anchored at all four corners. Tie it with tie down straps to a cooler, water buckets, sandbags, toolbox etc. Not gas cans, as if the wind takes it gas will spill/spray everywhere. Even a slight breeze will turn it into a sail.

Color makes no difference, whatever you like!

2blueyam

I have two 10x10 FirstUp canopies. The first is almost 10 years old, but has a new top and 1 replaced cross brace. The other is about 4 years old. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Take it down if it looks like a storm is coming. Anchor it well. I use good quality tent stakes angled in the grass and the trailer on the pavement. My heavy 3000w Yamaha inverter generator and / tool chest on pavement as well. Lower the windward corner or side one notch if it is a windy day.

Ron R

Had an easy up and it got ruined at summit on a pretty windy day. So while I sat there with no canopy getting sun baked I looked around at all the other canopies getting knocked around and some others getting junked. Then I saw this one that didn’t seem to mind the wind near as much. I walked over and talked with the owner. He said he had been through 3 other brands in less time then the current one he was still using. It was in great shape so that day I ordered one. Eurmax! It is a great canopy and isn’t near as expensive as I thought it could / should be. I got a ten by ten but my buddy just got a ten by fifteen. But remember with quality comes weight. Good luck.

Goldie

EURMAX PRO 10x15 Canopy - $550. Yes this is some coin but the same goes for a good generator. The worst thing that can happen to you at the track IMO is to loose you canopy on a hot windy day, your generator to crap out, or your tire warmers to go stoppage. Spend the money and buy a "full TRUSS frame" canopy. This is what Judy was eluding to and if all possible Aluminium frame is the preferred for sizes over 10x10 to keep the weight down. A 10x15 in steel is cow heavy. My 10x15 is very light in aluminum yet very durable in rain and high winds. Try the EURMAX. It comes with a pimp bag that's supper easy to place over the canopy when storing. No more trying to squeeze a canopy inside a tight ass bag and trying to zip it up. The EURMAX bag is a covered dolly with wheels. Very strong in wind and rain to boot. Don't buy dark colors as dark colors attract heat. My buddy had two of the cheap one at Summit recently and due to high winds, loss them both. Said screw this, EURMAX here I come. You don't have to buy EURMAX, but what you want is a FULL TRUSS canopy, preferably aluminium, and a light color top canopy. These will outlast the ones without it. Plus I use mines for family cook outs, back yard events, etc... Best $550 I've ever spent! KS951

Last edited:

Jgelack

Thanks guys for all the great advice! I think I'm sold on the EURMAX! I'm planning on picking up a Pro in either a 10x10 or splurging on the 10x15, as I'll be getting a lot more room for not that much more weight. My only concern is I'll be putting this thing up myself. I am a bigger guy so I thinking/hoping I should be ok. Thanks again!

Motofun352

Control Rider
The 10X15 can be a challenge for one guy, don't be afraid to ask for help. PS, I just setup my new 10X15 Eurmax only to find some defects in the cover. Nothing really bad but not exactly good either. Probably would drip in a rain storm. I'm in the process of using the customer service now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jgelack

The 10X15 can be a challenge for one guy, don't be afraid to ask for help. PS, I just setup my new 10X15 Eurmax only to find some defects in the cover. Nothing really bad but not exactly good either. Probably would drip in a rain storm. I'm in the process of using the customer service now. I'll let you know how it goes.
Please do, and good luck!

Motofun352

Control Rider
OK, it has been a month......Not good! I would call the Eurmax service desk and the very polite person would agree and promise to get back that day. After 2 days and no response I called again and got the same response. I did this at least 4 times until I refused to accept the answer until they sent me an e-mail confirming that they agreed with me and would send a new top. I even offered to send the old top back if they so requested...at my expense. Finally I got an email and they gave me a FEDEX tracking number, this was last Friday. As I haven't seen the Fedex truck yet I decided to check the status using the number they gave me. Fedex has no such number in their system! AGGGH! Another call to California.....Got a new FEDEX number, at least one is in the FEDEX system. Now I'm curious to see just what arrives. They probably have my picture on their wall and are throwing darts at it....:rofl:

Goldie

OK, it has been a month......Not good! I would call the Eurmax service desk and the very polite person would agree and promise to get back that day. After 2 days and no response I called again and got the same response. I did this at least 4 times until I refused to accept the answer until they sent me an e-mail confirming that they agreed with me and would send a new top. I even offered to send the old top back if they so requested...at my expense. Finally I got an email and they gave me a FEDEX tracking number, this was last Friday. As I haven't seen the Fedex truck yet I decided to check the status using the number they gave me. Fedex has no such number in their system! AGGGH! Another call to California.....Got a new FEDEX number, at least one is in the FEDEX system. Now I'm curious to see just what arrives. They probably have my picture on their wall and are throwing darts at it....:rofl:

You must of got a Friday or Monday built one. My top is perfect and have withstood a monsoon at Summit. I've had mines for about 3 years now and no issues.