New to N2 and Track Days...

LowSparkChris

I just signed up for N2 and for this forum. I am committed to obtaining all the necessary gear in order to start track days when they become available early next year. I have scanned through this forum some and already have obtained a good deal of information...but I do have a few questions for the experienced people on the forum:

1) When will the 2020 track day calendar be released?

2) Do all riders that have never done a track day start out at the novice level?

3) I am not a beginner rider, but I have never ridden track. If I start out my first track day in the novice grouping, could I potentially be observed and "bumped up" to intermediate in that same day of sessions?

I've got the bike...I just need a suit, some gauntlet gloves and I want better, more protection riding boots than the ankle length Alpine Stars I ride today on the street...better start saving my pennies...

Slawson

Wannabe Racer
Welcome aboard,

All riders start novice and have to get bumped up by control riders. They watch key things through out the day.

You need full length motorcycle boots i believe.

The calander im not sure but sure some control riders will have information on it. They'll more likely chime in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Slawson

Wannabe Racer
What he said...and you'll be glad to start in Novice while you get your bearings. This is NOTHING like street riding.

Come say hi at the track and post up any questions here. We're a friendly, helpful group.
Facts, been ridding 10+ on street. Got on track and it was like a new world.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Rode over a decade on the street and was one of the "fast guys" on the street rides. First track day made me realize how slow I really was. I'm still slow, just not as slow as when I started :).

Take the first day with an open mind and leave your ego at home are the two pieces of advice I can give ya. And yea, go with a full boot.

LowSparkChris

Welcome aboard,

All riders start novice and have to get bumped up by control riders. They watch key things through out the day.

You need full length motorcycle boots i believe.

The calander im not sure but sure some control riders will have information on it. They'll more likely chime in.

Definitely going with a full boot...safety first!

LowSparkChris

What he said...and you'll be glad to start in Novice while you get your bearings. This is NOTHING like street riding.

Come say hi at the track and post up any questions here. We're a friendly, helpful group.

I can't wait to experience it...wish I already had the gear and could do one of the year end track days in GA/AL...but I have 3 kids...and holidays are expensive. lol

LowSparkChris

Rode over a decade on the street and was one of the "fast guys" on the street rides. First track day made me realize how slow I really was. I'm still slow, just not as slow as when I started :).

Take the first day with an open mind and leave your ego at home are the two pieces of advice I can give ya. And yea, go with a full boot.

I will 100% leave my ego at the front gate. I am the type of rider that weighs on the side of caution and rides within my limits. I want to learn to ride faster and better, but safer as well.

Slawson

Wannabe Racer
Lol well you got the itch we all have. Im already waiting on the calander for next year. From what I seen it usually posted around end of November. Its a fun experience and i learn new things every track day as well about different tracks. What bike you running

Motofun352

Control Rider
I know the directors try to get the schedule info out as early as possible but a lot also depends on the tracks, contracts, etc. They usually post a "provisional" schedule late in the year and refine it as sometimes additional dates become available.

LowSparkChris

Lol well you got the itch we all have. Im already waiting on the calander for next year. From what I seen it usually posted around end of November. Its a fun experience and i learn new things every track day as well about different tracks. What bike you running

Yeah, my brother-in-law have been talking about it for the past year and both have made the commitment to get the gear together over the next few months to be ready for spring track days.

I ride a 2016 GSXR 750...I'm a little nervous about taking my only bike on track...but I don't have the extra cash laying around at the moment to invest in a track only bike.

Slawson

Wannabe Racer
Nice and fully understand you being nervous. Great thing about track days you can take ya time to learn the track, learn how the bike on the track and basically ride your ride and now one elses. You will be shown the where you should be on the track for different turns, but over all ride your ride.

Aaron Meade

I ride a 2016 GSXR 750...I'm a little nervous about taking my only bike on track...but I don't have the extra cash laying around at the moment to invest in a track only bike.

Awesome bike. I'm kind of a Yamaha fan for no particular reason, but I've had a thing for the GSX-R 750 since they first appeared in the pages of Cycle World when I was a kid. I liked the old Superbike rules that had the 1000cc twins against the 750cc fours. Then Ducati had to ruin it by winning every year and they let the 1000cc fours in. I think it is cool that Suzuki still makes the 750.

LowSparkChris

Nice and fully understand you being nervous. Great thing about track days you can take ya time to learn the track, learn how the bike on the track and basically ride your ride and now one elses. You will be shown the where you should be on the track for different turns, but over all ride your ride.

Can't wait to be able to carve some corners and not have to worry about cars, animals and trees lol

LowSparkChris

Awesome bike. I'm kind of a Yamaha fan for no particular reason, but I've had a thing for the GSX-R 750 since they first appeared in the pages of Cycle World when I was a kid. I liked the old Superbike rules that had the 1000cc twins against the 750cc fours. Then Ducati had to ruin it by winning every year and they let the 1000cc fours in. I think it is cool that Suzuki still makes the 750.

I'm loving the GSXR...I've only had it since June and I've already put about 3,500 miles on it. My prior bike was a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07, which I also loved...but I wanted something with a little more top end and ability to ride highways to and from the mountains without being pegged at a higher RPM

Aaron Meade

I'm loving the GSXR...I've only had it since June and I've already put about 3,500 miles on it. My prior bike was a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07, which I also loved...but I wanted something with a little more top end and ability to ride highways to and from the mountains without being pegged at a higher RPM

You certainly won't be lacking any lung capacity!

bmart

Control Rider
With regards to gear, buy the best quality you can afford. That may not be the most expensive...and you can look on the used market, especially over the season we're about to start. Others are selling things for Christmas $ and due to the end of the season (for most). I rarely buy new gear due to the immediate depreciation.

LowSparkChris

With regards to gear, buy the best quality you can afford. That may not be the most expensive...and you can look on the used market, especially over the season we're about to start. Others are selling things for Christmas $ and due to the end of the season (for most). I rarely buy new gear due to the immediate depreciation.

I most certainly won't skimp on protection. I'm a bigger dude (not height wise but in the mid-section) so I'm not sure if a one-piece or two piece race suit will fit me better. My guess is a two piece will work better for me. I already have my eye on a few suits. I am budgeting for about $1,200 - $1,400 all in for suit, gloves and boots.

Rich

I most certainly won't skimp on protection. I'm a bigger dude (not height wise but in the mid-section) so I'm not sure if a one-piece or two piece race suit will fit me better. My guess is a two piece will work better for me. I already have my eye on a few suits. I am budgeting for about $1,200 - $1,400 all in for suit, gloves and boots.

Hi Chris, welcome and don't hesitate you will love it! As for size, I think I'm in that bigger dude category at 5' 11" and about 230 I went back and forth on the suit and settled on a one-piece after fighting with the waist zippers on the two-piece. Plus the suit now is dedicated to track days and I use the pants and jacket for the street.

Picture attached if it works, I've only been on a forum for a short time. That's a sedici US size 50 and it could be a little smaller, but I'm leaving room for a back protector that I plan to have for my next track day. Which is my fourth for the year, so it IS addictive. :)

Also, that photo is from Raul at HighSide Photo taken at my last track day with N2 at CMP.

Attachments

• N2_CMP-20190831105318-3516.jpg
    N2_CMP-20190831105318-3516.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 12