Goodbye 2020, Hello VIR South!

bmart

Control Rider
Sunday May 30th and Monday August 2nd show on the 2021calendar. South is my favorite course. I'm so excited about this that I couldn't sleep last night. (Okay, I actually have had a migraine since yesterday...but while migraining, I was thinking about the SOUTH COURSE!) Let's hear some of those stories from folks who have been and questions from those who haven't.

If you haven't been, you're missing out and I look forward to riding with you there in 2021! It contains fewer corners than some tracks, but they are all very challenging, many are blind entry and off camber exit. Don't let the 2D view fool you. Elevation map (VIR South on the left). Names of some of the turns are "The Bitch" #1, "The Spiral" #s 3a/3b, and "The Fish Hook" #5. There's a lot to learn here.

A few videos, none from N2, as I don't believe that we've been there yet. I hope that no one minds.

A guy zipping around running 1:20s maxing out at 150MPH...consistently.
I was there but I'm not in that one.

Some fun laps on my old R6 (blue with yellow tail light stickers). Unfortunately, a guy crashes near the end. He was catching me on power, and I was killing him on the brakes, both running ~1:13s!

Is it track day yet???

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I rode VIR south ages ago, probably with NESBA. I really like the South course. It sorta reminded me a little of the old BeaveRun north course with the elevation changes. Fun course! One day there isn't worth the long drive, but I'd love to ride it again someday! The last time I rode it, the Oak Tree was still there!
If only there were 2 days in a row. Run South one day, North the next, then I'd make the drive!:)

Last edited:

JustAnotherSquid

Used to ride a motorcycle
That does look like fun! Never been but will definitely check it out this year. The corners 3a/b and 4 look like a freakin' blast.

And I'll run 13s too, as long as you don't require the first digit to be a "1".

bmart

Control Rider
Awesome! I'm hoping to be at those too. Does anyone know if they'll be using the new chicane on the straight for Full?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
South course sucks...no rhythm...no flow....it's a hodge podge layout.

They laid some asphalt down to connect that side of the facility so they could
make money when someone else rented North Course.

North and Full are on the schedule, too....those courses are fantastic.

bmart

Control Rider
You're not wrong aboum the rhythm. That is what makes it such a challenge, IMHO. A lot of variation and planning needed to go fast there.

Greg ZX6R

Awesome! I'm hoping to be at those too. Does anyone know if they'll be using the new chicane on the straight for Full?
Hopefully no chicane will be used for full. To me, South course is one of those tracks that never "gets going", like Thunderbolt. The reverse corkscrew is fun, I don't like turn one, the fishhook, or the old Oak Tree turn. Paddock is tiny, and used to suck finding a space on day two during the old South/South/North weekends when everyone was already there for day one. It was nice, though, being able to see almost the entire track while sitting on pit wall. Had no idea until the track walks for north and south that there were (at the time) little green paint marks on the inside curbing for every apex.

bmart

Control Rider
Just to verify with the powers that be, Sunday 5/30 is now Thursday 5/20 (or so it shows on the calendar)?

And the second day this season at South is Monday 8/2?

A few riding buddies have been asking me for verification. Thanks!

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Green dots are helpful but more for cars then bikes. Bike apexes are a bit later. Also the green dots are really hard to see at speed for us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Greg ZX6R

Hey Greg! What don't you like about those turns?
For whatever reason, I don't particularly care for u-turns on the track, and even less so for tight u-turns after fast straights, like T1. Also don't care for coming onto a long straight from a slow turn like Oak Tree or the last turn at NC Bike going clockwise. For George, when you're going as slowly as I am, I see the green dots fine!

bmart

Control Rider
Fair enough (they're some of the most challenging turns I've been on)! We all have our preferences. Most folks in this area like VIR North and Roebling the best. They aren't my bag, but I could run South/Patriot every weekend! Thank goodness that there are tracks all over and that N2 gets us to them!

borislav

Control Rider
Green dots are helpful but more for cars then bikes. Bike apexes are a bit later. Also the green dots are really hard to see at speed for us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hey George just look at Greg's avatar and you will realize the color you are speaking of is the only color he sees!

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Many years ago at a TPM day on Easter I put plastic colored Easter eggs at a few apex cones at Pocono East. Sad part was only a few people noticed.