Safe passing - a must read!!!!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I highly recommend everyone read this. Nick will also be posting a part two that will augment this info. Please pass this along to anyone and everyone who attends track days with us or any other organization. We all need to have a unified understanding of how to pass safely on the track. We talk a lot about these aspects at the rider's meetings but the more we talk about it and understand it and get on the same page the more we can minimize potential incidents.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
Planning is a skill that we could talk more about. That is a good article with clear graphics. Thank you for posting it.

bmart

Control Rider
That level of decision making is unnerving...and could be related to dehydration. Must drink. Must stay cool (leathers off between sessions). Must be aware of your state before rolling out. Scary stuff.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Thanks for sharing. Here's a perfect example of why this is so important.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackdays/comments/ot2kol
These are the exact type of situations we are trying to avoid. The passing rider was trying to get the pass done as the rider in front of them was moving toward the path of travel. A bit of awareness and planning ahead of time and we can greatly reduce the risk.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Excellent. I don't know which came first but we've been coaching this for a long long time.
This conversation actually came directly from what we talk about at YCRS. We started pulling this into our N2 meetings because of how critical it is to understand. Looking forward to part 2!

DethWshBkr

Gotta say, that's one of the reasons I've been posting so much about passing. I'm more concerned about someone else coming into me, but I'm trying to be sure I'm being ridiculously cautious, especially since it's novice class. I don't have a clue what to expect from everyone else! My biggest concern has been someone coming up behind me if I'm trying to figure out a pass. Instead, I just sit and wait for it to be easily done.

Certainly don't want to lock bars on these things!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Gotta say, that's one of the reasons I've been posting so much about passing. I'm more concerned about someone else coming into me, but I'm trying to be sure I'm being ridiculously cautious, especially since it's novice class. I don't have a clue what to expect from everyone else! My biggest concern has been someone coming up behind me if I'm trying to figure out a pass. Instead, I just sit and wait for it to be easily done.

Certainly don't want to lock bars on these things!

I applaud your methodical approach to this sport and wish more beginner riders had the same mentality. As time goes on, those you know in the paddock will grow more and more and just like with your dirt bike friends, you'll always give each other crap when one of you can't keep up. However, at the end of the day...none of us will get the call to go race MotoGP.

So what happens if you choose to not pass? Nothing!
What happens if you decide to not push it this corner, back off a hair, and not run a PB that lap? Nothing!

What happens when you bite off more than you can chew? "Son of a...bitch!!!" tumble, tumble, broken plastics, parts, and busted gear.

Every single one of us have "that" crash you will replay in your mind 50 million times. "Why did I decide to go out on that tire, I knew I should have replaced it?" "Why did I push that hard?"

And, of course, you'll kick yourself in the ass as you work on your bike in the garage, pulling the grass and mud out of it...and pulling out that plastic card to buy the replacement parts.

Could most of us progress faster if we pushed just a little harder each time we went out? Yeah probably. Is anyone going to pay for the parts and fix our bikes for us? Nope. Progress at the rate that works for you.

bmart

Control Rider
And while fixing the bike and paying for parts/gear really stinks, harming someone would be hard to live with. I never want to be that guy who has to go talk to a rider's spouse, parent, kid, or friend to apologize. Be safe. Improve your skills toolbox, don't chase your lap times.