Cooling issue

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Last year the radiator on my 09 R6 got damaged. I replaced it with a used radiator and added a radiator guard at the same time.

With the old radiator, my on track temps would hang between 180F and 200F and when I would come in the pits the temp would go up to around 215F when the fans would kick on and bring it back down.

With the replacement radiator plus guard, track temps seem to be about the same although on average they are a tad bit higher, maybe 190F - 205F. However when I come in the pits before I’m back to my pit stall they are pushing up to as high as 245F. The fans kick on at 215 but the temps just don’t come down.

I run water + water wetter and the fluid levels seemed good. Any other ideas what might cause such high temps when not at pace on the track?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Nate, I was told by Triplestrong (engine builder) you need to elevate the front wheel to burp the system. I purchased a hoist from Harbor Freight to lift up the front wheel. I get it to about 45 degrees or better. You might just have trapped air somewhere. I doubt the guard is causing the issue.

tdelegram

Control Rider
You may want to pull the rad this off season don't a shop and have them acid dip it and clean any internal corrosion. A dirty rad internal and to some extent external will reduce cooling effectiveness. Most shops will clean and straighten any fins relatively cheap

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Thanks everyone. Besides Jim’s recommendation to elevate the bike, any other techniques I can use to avoid an air bubble in the system? I’ve flushed and changed the cooling system many times and never had an air bubble before, so not sure what I did differently this time.

Motofun352

Control Rider
On my 750 I have lay it on its sides to clear the air out of the system. Each side burps out about a quart.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Thanks everyone. I've done the same as Eric and Dave in the past and it worked as well, so not sure on this one. Maybe I was in a hurry.

chrisplm

Chris
This is what I do as well. Then after the first good run let it cool all the way and double check the level. So far it’s worked well.
Same for me.. of course make sure the reservoir has fluid in it to so the bike can pull in more if needed.

borislav

Control Rider
I assume replacement radiator was used…
Did you check for imbedded tire rubber end little pebbles between cooling fins, you won’t believe how much of that stuff gets collected there thus affecting air flow!?

Yurzi

Control Rider
If flushing or burping the radiator doesn't do anything replace radiator cap with a new one. The springs on them wear over time, lowering system pressure and causing overheating issues.