New track rider from SC

Ascent

Figured I post a quick intro. I bought my first motorcycle in 2015 and still riding the same one today (Triumph Street Triple R). Rode it all over the SC/NC mountains. I just did my first track day with N2 at CMP back in August and second one again at CMP last Sunday.

I stopped riding on the street a while back and almost sold my bike but glad I didn't! Won't be able to do anymore track days this year but looking forward to next season and trying out the other tracks in the south east. The Street Triple is fun on the track but at some point I'll be looking for a dedicated track bike.

Besides motorcycles, I've ridden pedal bikes all my life... BMX, mountain bike single track, road racing, and dirt jump park riding. Hoping to start riding dirt bike single track in the near future, just need a dirt bike first!

Looking forward to getting back out on the track next season!

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome, David! We probably rode together a bit last weekend. What kind of track bike are you looking for?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Welcome....if you're not going to street ride anymore the Triumph is a good ride for the track with the added bonus you already own it. The standard advice for a new(er) rider looking for a track bike is to avoid a big, high power bike. They are difficult to learn how to be fast on through the turns.

Ascent

Welcome, David! We probably rode together a bit last weekend. What kind of track bike are you looking for?
Thanks! Yep I think I saw you when lining up for the novice sessions... SV650?

Welcome....if you're not going to street ride anymore the Triumph is a good ride for the track with the added bonus you already own it. The standard advice for a new(er) rider looking for a track bike is to avoid a big, high power bike. They are difficult to learn how to be fast on through the turns.

Definitely not planning on a big bike! Mainly thinking about a different bike just better suited to track riding (full fairings and clip ons). I'm not set on which bike to look for yet, but any that are good learning tools for new track riders which have good aftermarket support and reliable(ish). I enjoy wrenching on bikes but rather that not take up all of my limited free time.

I've looked into SV650, R7, GSXR-750, even the Ninja 400. The one I keep coming back to is the Daytona 675. I would turn my Street Triple back to stock before selling it so I'd have plenty of aftermarket parts that fit right up on the D675, and I know my way around these bikes as far as maintenance, etc. So that one makes the most sense to me but I'm definitely open to suggestions!

jmack

where in SC are you? I am near lake keowee. I am also new to the trackway scene. Believe I will be switching all of my riding to the tracks as well. Love the mountains and carving ti up, but too many crazies out there.
I just finished a YCRS 2 day course, had a blast, learned a ton. In search of a track bike now while trying to sell my KTM SDR. hope to see you at some track days soon.
JMACK

tdelegram

Control Rider
If budget is your first concern there are a ton of nice sv's out there. The r7 and rs660 have made the sv non-competitive in racing but you can still go very fast on them and it's not as much of a struggle at track days as the 400's and smaller. Check the Wera forum and social media that's some great bikes below 4k.

Ascent

where in SC are you? I am near lake keowee. I am also new to the trackway scene. Believe I will be switching all of my riding to the tracks as well. Love the mountains and carving ti up, but too many crazies out there.
I just finished a YCRS 2 day course, had a blast, learned a ton. In search of a track bike now while trying to sell my KTM SDR. hope to see you at some track days soon.
JMACK

I'm down the road in Greenville. Planning to get to CMP and Road Atlanta a few times later this year when I won't be so busy. Hope to see you out there as well!