Recent content by Dom17

1. Dom17

2020 season is starting...

Dirt bikes all winter long. Also re-listen to Ken Hill Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  2. Dom17

Questions about proper body position

Allow me to correct myself. The inside elbow will be pointed out rather than down. For most people this will leave the inside elbow slightly below the wrist and you are correct. This really depends on the type of grip you have on the inside arm. The big thing to focus on is are you maintaining a...
  3. Dom17

Questions about proper body position

To answer some of your questions: The inside elbow should be up rather than pointed down. How far should your head be over? That depends on where you are in the corner. Body position is important but body timing is important too. Watch MotoGP and motoamerica. As they enter the breaking zone...
  4. Dom17

minimalist track day setup

Minimum 5 gallons of gas per 600cc bike per day. I think some of the faster guys on 1000 bikes use 10 gallons a day. You'll probably have leftover gas with 5 gallons in the beginning but it's better than running out. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  5. Dom17

minimalist track day setup

This will be a fun topic. I think minimum requirements will change based on how long you have been in the sport. if you are not running tire warmers I think at the very least you're going to need the following: Tire pressure gauge ***see note*** Foot pump Gas Allen or hex drivers 3mm-10mm...
  6. Dom17

Renting a bike for the Barber track day? Any experience?

Welcome to the sport! Take a look at the rider's manual for the gear requirements. Id link but my phone is misbehaving. Whether you should buy a bike and gear or rent first depends on where you are at. Like Tom said, track days are a life-changing experience. My wife and I did our first one...
  7. Dom17

What do you guys think of this as a first track bike? '06 600RR

For the novice and intermediate group the tech requirements are based around safety for yourself and people around you. To be honest you don't even need frame sliders. You could definitely ride and will have a great time without a dedicated track bike. The issue comes is that one track day...
  8. Dom17

What do you guys think of this as a first track bike? '06 600RR

Welcome to the sport! My internet inst working or I'd link you the rider's manual. Go to the n2 track days home page and download the rider's manual and there is a section on what is expected for bike prep for each group. The big areas include enough brake pad material left, tire tread above...
  9. Dom17

Kids and Dogs

It also depends on what track you are going to. I know that New Jersey Motorsports Park has a pool that the kids can hang out during the day(with their grandparents). There might be a fee associated, not sure. And you also made a comment about doing this solo. I think once you start doing...
  10. Dom17

Kids and Dogs

I will add that it gets surprisingly hot at track days. often times there is little shade and depending on the track that you're at you might be pitting over top of tarmac. I know that some days it has been over 100 degrees in the shade for over 8 hours. I don't know of your dog breed can...
  11. Dom17

Talk me out of an R3

People throw on fz1 bars on the Fz6 to give you a little bit of a more forward position. I think they are something like 25$ if you want to change the ergos. I think is it surprisingly capable as it is. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  12. Dom17

Painting bodywork

I did rattle can. Everyone will say prep work is important. Roughing up the gelcoat to make sure it adheres. If you have access to a compressor spraying off the dust from the rough up process helps. Wiping down with a damp rag helps as well and letting it dry. I'd also practice on a throw away...
  13. Dom17

Talk me out of an R3

Just something else to consider, if you are interested in getting a dedicated track bike sometimes you can find a pretty well setup SV650 with all the track parts on it already for a really good deal. L Not sure where you are on your track addiction yet. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  14. Dom17

Talk me out of an R3

I certainly wouldn't talk you out of getting a 300. They are fun however I don't have the personal experience of living with one. I do know that there is a person with our organization who has an r3 that is very well prepared that he will rent to people if they want to use it for a track day...
  15. Dom17

Question about passing tech

I wonder what was originally damaged since that is right where the gasket goes. Parts for that bike are cheap, I found a replacement cover for 15$ and change. (I think it's for your bike) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333280228035 What an odd...