2018 N2 track day bike prep - Where's everyone at?

mpusch

Micah
My A bike is basically ready to go. Makes things easy when you don't have to make crash repairs.

My B bike is probably a few years out..... from being purchased :D

JBallz

My ex wife said I need to work on my control issues. So, I listened to her!
0f2614249d4271d9f4bc801c01441af6.jpg
fa6002abc6d639d258ddd60c6f3a193a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Got the remaining front pads in and all my go fast number stickers. Thinking i'll switch over to motul 300v oil for the next change based on advice from Jballz. Going to be picking up spark plugs and possibly an air filter to finish off the basic maintenance prep.

bmart

Control Rider
I send my oil off to be tested. How do you guys know if the oil you're using is good (or better than the alternatives)? How do you know when to change it?

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I send my oil off to be tested. How do you guys know if the oil you're using is good (or better than the alternatives)? How do you know when to change it?

I listen to the builders like Livengood and use the oil that he recommends. I change every 2-3 weekends depending on use.

MrFrzz

slow and wide

I'm going off of a brochure, reviews, and recommendation at the moment. Who do you send yours to? Might be a good time for me to start looking into that if this will eventually become a dedicated track bike. My bike only has 11k miles on it and I've owned it since it had 1046 on it. I've changed it every time with Mobil1, and I might be throwing money away, but I change it every 3k miles. The miles I've put on the engine have minimal ripping and tearing on it as far as the realm of motorcycles go, BUT that also has all my learning miles on it and that goes up every time I ride and shift, so some of (i.e. ALOT OF) those clutchless shifts might not have been the smoothest....

bmart

Control Rider
I send mine to these guys. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ Not every change (costs $25, as it would be cheaper to just change the oil) but every few changes to ensure nothing is going off in the engine. It is how I discovered that I needed to replace the clutch boss this winter. A lot of aluminum in the oil. What I've discovered is that most folks change their oil much too soon, using data as a guide. I change it every 3333 miles on the 400cc street bike to make it easy to remember, and every 8k on the VFR street bike.

The track bikes go 1250 to 1750 miles (aiming at 1500 miles) depending on logistics. If I'm coaching a lot I let it run on the longer side, toward 1750. I start to have trouble shifting when it is "used up" for running at our pace. I also have a look at level 1/2 way though the cycle. It usually needs to be topped off, which gives it a dose of additives extending the change interval.

Here are some oil test results I've gotten on my vehicles.

Attachments

• 04 R6-A-170410.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 14
  • GT00-170308.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 6
  • WGN 04-170928.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 5

bmart

Control Rider
You'll laugh, but I own three of those EJ25 engine powered Subarus. It gives me a great way to compare!

MrFrzz

slow and wide
no laughing here... my wife has been jonsing for a rex. Thankfully I got her into motorcycling.... but then turned around and got her a ducati :unsure:

Depending on how Roebling goes for me and the rest of the summer....might be looking into an R3.... She's already interested in TD's... just doesnt wanna track the scrambler despite my encouragement:sneaky:

Jason DeBoer

Coming along nicely. Pretty much everything is done but the bodywork. Supposed to go in the booth this week, we shall see. Need to adjust clip-ons a bit. Going to wait for new bodywork to make sure nothing hits. May try to narrow them up a bit, and bring them in. I had them pretty wide and flat last year, I think I was a bit stretched out.

Still need to mount up new rubber, but it's a bit cold out in the garage yet. I'm hoping after this last blast of snow, spring will roll around.

prgaFnA.jpg

Jason DeBoer

Looks great! Being a Krylon guy ($30 paint jobs!), when I hear booth I think of phone.

Yea, I kept telling myself that a 10ft paint job was fine (and I honestly didn't "need" new paint/body), but I had the itch to get a brand new one, so had to spend a little to make this one like new to scratch that itch.

Changed out pipes, new bodywork, shock bypass valve mod, and a few minor things that I hadn't gotten around to like Samco hoses w/thermostat bypass, 520 conversion/diff gearing, and just a top to bottom clean job should make it close enough to new to satisfy me for a few more years. The only thing I don't have that I want (not need!) is the auto-blipper, but I'm not too impressed with the aftermarket solutions, so that will just have to wait for the new bike in a couple years.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
Work done this winter:
2008 SV650
Putting in built 700CC "Superbike" motor (will be replaced by 650cc supersport build in April for eligibility in more CCS classes)
Yoyodyne slipper in both engines
Ported throttle bodies
Power Commander 5, quick shifter, and fuel map switch
Modified Airbox (basically just didn't put top back on)
Installed full Leo Vince exhaust
Modified ignition coils for two spark plug 03-06 heads (no longer eligible for MotoAmerica... damn)
Put 4.5" "little" wheel back on (OEM size), was 5.5" GSXR wheel
Older model Ohlins shock to replace Elka
New chain
New set of sprockets
Clean calipers, new brake fluid, fresh Vesrah RJL XX pads
Replaced caliper and pinch bolts with probolt pre-drilled to make it easier to use clips with safety wire
New ZeroGravity windscreen because a pebble cracked previous
Fresh paint
New stickers
Smoothed scrapes on brake lever guard

Aaannnnd done.

IcUu0k8.jpg

bmart

Control Rider
Nice work! That looks like a pretty slick track weapon.

My three are all buttoned up and just waiting to see what tires they'll need for the first 2018 weekend.

Ron R

Picking up forks and shock tomorrow and spray pretty is supposed to happen next week. Now I got to drag the trailer out this weekend and go through it. Can’t wait to get to the track next weekend!!

Last edited:

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
Looks like I already blew up the motor. Also I had a minor lowside, but nobody has to know it was on cold tires after a red flag, in T1, right after coming out of hot pit. So that motor is probably gone and I already dinged up my brand new paint job. But that's racing I guess.