First Time on Track - Requesting Help - Road Atlanta 10/20/18 and 10/21/18

Jamie Licitra

Hi all,

I've been riding for about 25 years; many of those years I rode weekly. However, I've never been to the track.
I assume this means I've learned a lot of bad habits that I'm hoping to break (as well as having a blast!!!) :)

I have a bunch of questions and am hoping you can help.

The questions that I can think of at this time are listed below in random order.

(1) GoPro - my GoPro mount is mounted to my left frame-slider. Is it required for me to have this wired (wire harness/safety wire) the bike? If so, is a wire to the frame-slider itself acceptable?

(2) Canopy - if I bring a canopy (so as not to stand in the sun) what size is acceptable? 10x30? 10x20? Other?

(3) Is there a specific type of tape that people like to use to tape up their lights? I was thinking of FrogTape (the stuff you use for painting)? Is there something better?

(4) I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 with those front led light strips. Do those need to be taped up as well? What about my brake light?

(5) Can I bring family/friends for support? In my case, several family members live 5 miles from Road Atlanta - and a good 6-7 have expressed interest in hanging out and watching. Is that permitted and is there a limit? Is there an extra cost?

(6) Is there a professional photographer onsite that takes cool corner photos? If so, what do those digital prints usually cost?

(7) Will gasoline be available for purchase (again, Road Atlanta, October 2018)?

(8) Is food available for purchase? (If so, I assume cash only?)

(9) Will there be motorcycle shop services available for purchase? (ex: tune suspension, make any corrections or updates to bike if I don't have my own tools [which I won't])?

(10) I'm sure I'll have more questions - but these are the first ones to come to mind. Any responses are most appreciated!!

--Jamie

Motofun352

Control Rider
Hi all,

I've been riding for about 25 years; many of those years I rode weekly. However, I've never been to the track.
I assume this means I've learned a lot of bad habits that I'm hoping to break (as well as having a blast!!!) :)

The questions that I can think of at this time are listed below in random order.

(1) GoPro - my GoPro mount is mounted to my left frame-slider. Is it required for me to have this wired (wire harness/safety wire) the bike? If so, is a wire to the frame-slider itself acceptable? Safety wiring for a novice is not required but it still is a good idea...loose stuff on the track is not so good, not to mention the cost of the camera.

(2) Canopy - if I bring a canopy (so as not to stand in the sun) what size is acceptable? 10x30? 10x20? Other?What ever you have should be OK...most are 10X10, some 10X15 or 20

(3) Is there a specific type of tape that people like to use to tape up their lights? I was thinking of FrogTape (the stuff you use for painting)? Is there something better? Just use something that won't destroy the plastic underneath...Don't know if you can pull the fuses for the lights but that's a good idea too to remove the heat.

(4) I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 with those front led light strips. Do those need to be taped up as well? What about my brake light? Yes, all lights to be taped

(5) Can I bring family/friends for support? In my case, several family members live 5 miles from Road Atlanta - and a good 6-7 have expressed interest in hanging out and watching. Is that permitted and is there a limit? Is there an extra cost?The more the merrier, no fee

(6) Is there a professional photographer onsite that takes cool corner photos? If so, what do those digital prints usually cost? Ya got me here....usually there is a photographer, don't know the cost

(7) Will gasoline be available for purchase (again, Road Atlanta, October 2018)?Rd Atl has a fuel station...or bring your own (a bit cheaper)

(8) Is food available for purchase? (If so, I assume cash only?) I don't remember an onsite food service, the locals would know?

(9) Will there be motorcycle shop services available for purchase? (ex: tune suspension, make any corrections or updates to bike if I don't have my own tools [which I won't])? There is always tire service and usually mechanicals as well.

(10) I'm sure I'll have more questions - but these are the first ones to come to mind. Any responses are most appreciated!!

--Jamie
(PS...OPEN THE BOX ABOVE TO SEE RESPONSE^^^)
I can't fault you for trying to think of all the issues but don't let it get in the way of the main point...Having fun! Do as much stuff at home as you can. Go over the fundamentals like oil, chain, tires. Check all the bolts for tightness....read the rule book for good ideas and how the day is organized.....Did I mention this is about fun?:)

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I’m sure someone else will come along ALL the answers you need but for now I will tell you what I know.
First read the N2 Riders Manual. That might answer so if your questions and maybe help you think of a few more.

Question # 2
I’ve never heard of any issues with canopy size, I’ve seen many strap 3 together. I just wouldn’t go crazy. Make sure you have something to strap it down to in case a gust of wind comes along.
Most people just use plain blue painters tape, doesn’t have to be pretty just completely covering the lenses, just remember to unplug or remove the bulbs. You don’t want to bake on the tape.
I’m not sure if the led light strip needs to be taped but why wouldn’t you. The purpose of the tape is to keep debris from going everywhere in case of a crash. Think about from the other side, what if someone else has a led light strip and they go down. Leaving a few shards on the track and you pick one up in your tire causing a hole. At best your day is done and at worst you go down because you didn’t notice it. As for the brake light, yes it must be taped and remember to unplug/remove the bulb.
I’ve never been to Road Atlanta so I don’t know their policy on guests but every N2 event I have gone to welcomed guests and there weren’t any fees.
I’m sure there will be a photographer but I don’t know whom it will be.
Fill up your bike and bring a full 5 gallon jug of gas and you will have enough for the day.

I hope that helps. What I said is not gospel. Someone who really knows might have to amend what I said. Be patient on their replies they are probably out “working” on the track this weekend.

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
Hi all,

(1) GoPro - my GoPro mount is mounted to my left frame-slider. Is it required for me to have this wired (wire harness/safety wire) the bike? If so, is a wire to the frame-slider itself acceptable?

(2) Canopy - if I bring a canopy (so as not to stand in the sun) what size is acceptable? 10x30? 10x20? Other?

(3) Is there a specific type of tape that people like to use to tape up their lights? I was thinking of FrogTape (the stuff you use for painting)? Is there something better?

(4) I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 with those front led light strips. Do those need to be taped up as well? What about my brake light?

(5) Can I bring family/friends for support? In my case, several family members live 5 miles from Road Atlanta - and a good 6-7 have expressed interest in hanging out and watching. Is that permitted and is there a limit? Is there an extra cost?

(6) Is there a professional photographer onsite that takes cool corner photos? If so, what do those digital prints usually cost?

(7) Will gasoline be available for purchase (again, Road Atlanta, October 2018)?

(8) Is food available for purchase? (If so, I assume cash only?)

(9) Will there be motorcycle shop services available for purchase? (ex: tune suspension, make any corrections or updates to bike if I don't have my own tools [which I won't])?

--Jamie

Jamie...Most have already been answered. I'll clarify a couple. Look forward to seeing you there!

1.) All Go Pro cameras must be safety wired.
2.) Highside Photo will be on site.
8.) Road Atlanta does not have a food vender on property.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Most everything has been answered, but here's the link to the Riders Manual for your reading enjoyment! :) (perhaps you've already read it, if so, thanks! )
https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

One thing off the top of my head not mentioned, but you'll find it in the manual, all bikes must have a number. It can be any number you choose. Doesn't have to be fancy, just readable. Making one out of tape is perfectly acceptable.

Enjoy!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Bring two 5 gallons of fuel..maybe 3.

I have a 2016 R1 and my onboard computer/dash tells me that I'm getting 16 mpg. Road Atlanta has a long back straight, a decent front straight, and elevation changes. You can spend a lot of time at or near full throttle. So that thirsty bike's gonna drink some 93 Octane there.

I mean they have a set of pumps there in the old paddock area, but it's going to cost more than at the gas stations down the road. One fuel jug could suffice, but if
not, you can refill it there...just gonna be about $5/gallon to do it.

Jamie Licitra

Thank you!
This is very helpful! I'm still working to confirm some logistics. Example: I don't own a truck or trailer.... but some friends do. I'm only a 60-90 minute drive to the track but figure I need at least a vehicle to cart along a cooler (w/ water) and some fuel. But once I get those details sorted our I'll be joining N2 Elite Level and looking forward to the October weekend at Road Atlanta!

(PS...OPEN THE BOX ABOVE TO SEE RESPONSE^^^)
I can't fault you for trying to think of all the issues but don't let it get in the way of the main point...Having fun! Do as much stuff at home as you can. Go over the fundamentals like oil, chain, tires. Check all the bolts for tightness....read the rule book for good ideas and how the day is organized.....Did I mention this is about fun?:)

bmart

Control Rider
Hi Jamie. I hope to see you at Road Atlanta (Road A).

It sounds like you got all of your questions answered.

Enjoy your first track day. Be sure to bring the things you need (water/snacks/protection from the elements). Read the riders' manual and have a good look over your bike so that it will sail through tech. Then, just wick it all in. Talk to all of the coaches you can find. Follow then on the track.

You are right about the bad habits. I did my first track day after riding for about 13 years. It was eye opening. I'm sure that you have fundamental bike controls down (Where's the clutch? Which brake works best....). You'll likely see the most improvement in your speeds and safety by focusing on body position, being light on the controls, looking FAR through the turns, and leaving a big safety envelope.

Take and buy pics. You're going to want to recall this memory for the rest of your riding career. From near the start of my track day riding--->

Attachments

• DSC_0064sm.jpg
    DSC_0064sm.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 78d6-37.jpg
    78d6-37.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 24

Jamie Licitra

Hi Huey,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
Unfortunately, I did not make it out. It was a combination of work travel but also logistics as I didn't have a trailer/hitch on my SUV. The good news is that I do have the logistics sorted out - and it's cheap and simple enough to rent a 5x8 UHaul trailer for the next track weekend!
I also did not have a 1pc suit - but I do now.

So I'm looking forward to the next track weekend at Road Atlanta coming up in a few months (March'ish?).

tdelegram

Control Rider
Hi Huey,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
Unfortunately, I did not make it out. It was a combination of work travel but also logistics as I didn't have a trailer/hitch on my SUV. The good news is that I do have the logistics sorted out - and it's cheap and simple enough to rent a 5x8 UHaul trailer for the next track weekend!
I also did not have a 1pc suit - but I do now.

So I'm looking forward to the next track weekend at Road Atlanta coming up in a few months (March'ish?).
Barber is next weekend, why wait?