Tool Recommends For Carb Stuff

CBRtist

So I’ve started taking mechanics classes (small engine repair I and II) because I wanted to start doing some of my own wrenching, and hopefully teach Ria.

There were no supplies listed for the class, and our first class was mostly intro/lecture/basics. But he announced next week, we would be taking apart and rebuilding carberators and to bring our tools . Everyone shook their heads, and prob because I’m the only girl.. I’m sans tools (it’s my understanding most men are born with toolsets automatically). I mean I have a thing here and there from amateur stuff I’ve done, but he was talking sets. When I asked about “sets”, he said “basic stuff... ratchet, socket, wrenches, screwdrivers, to start. Then you can add on based upon what power equipment you’ll be working on based on your personal needs”.

So, pros out there, what would be a good start or starter kit for this? I need to purchase by next class. I do not want cheap, because I will be using these tools frequently going forward, but I also can’t buy the whole farm right now. Apparently by the end of the second course, we will be disassembling and reassembling an entire engine, by then I guess I’ll own the farm .

Brand recommendations would be great also. Favorite go-to tools?Budget for now... I’d say less than $400? I don’t even know price points. So sad.

TIA

Motofun352

Control Rider
Phillips screw driver (#1 and #2)...JIS is preferable but not required.
Flat blade screw driver (small and medium)
Pliers, needle nose and regular
Picks, various small (useful for small o-ring removal)
Gasket scraper, small putty knife would work
Can of carb cleaner with plastic straw for nozzle (hint, sand one end into a fine point)
6 inch steel rule with millimeter calibrations for float height adjustment

This should be a good start.

Kruizen

Control Rider
A set of 1/4 sockets 8,10mm at the min. I like to be able to put them on a screwdriver handle. And a 6” extension for the drive handle.

Maybe a set of carb cleaners, wire and wire brush sets to clean the pilots.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Great list Jack, I would add Allen T-handles, all my euro dirt bikes (feel free to guess what brand) use Allen heads to attach the float bowls, the Japanese ones use Phillips heads. I would also add an impact driver (need a hammer too) for initial screw loosening to save screw heads. Finally a good 1/4 inch drive socket set, need that to change main jets in carbs, I think it’s a 4 or 6 mm.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Yeah, there's no telling what you may run into when you get into a strange set of carbs. Some of the stuff I've used at various times includes:
Scotchbrite for polishing gasket surfaces, small wrenches, perhaps as big as 14mm, small cresent adjustable wrenches, penetrating oil for stuck fasteners (be very careful with impact drivers...this stuff is fragile), small brass wire brush. Safety glasses for when the carb cleaner splashes back into your eyes...:'(......

Motofun352

Control Rider
10 mm sockets are made of disappearium. Before Sears went kaput I bought a half dozen spares....most have gone missing.....

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You'll be able to impress everyone there, and probably show up quite a few men in your class because they don't even know, when you bring a set of JIS screw drivers. These are the "metric" (Well, Japanese standard, so metric) phillips heads of the screw driver world. Yes, there IS a difference in comparison to your typical #1 / #2 screw driver!

It's extremely common to round out the screw heads on float bowls...one big reason being that people are insistent on using the wrong kind of phillips head screw driver to remove them. Life is a lot easier with these when you're working on carbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-...id=1548870509&sr=8-3&keywords=jis+screwdriver

CBRtist

Wow! Thank you ALL! This is beyond helpful! Looks like a shopping trip and Amazon Prime is in order...

Oh and prayers that I make it to the second set of classes. Oh well, at the very least, I might make a friend or two that I can lure to a track day :rofl:

chrisplm

Chris
John,
You beat me too it about the JIS Screws. Many a carburetor screws have been rounded off due to people not knowing that they are not just Philips heads. Many screws on bikes for that matter.
MC just came out with a nice little video explaining this more.