My crash at Summit 7/7

bronsonj

I'm the guy on the red Triumph who crashed Sunday afternoon at turn one.
a) I'd like to thank whoever packed up my bike & van - as anyone will tell you, the N2 community is the best!
b) If anybody happened to capture me on video, I'd be interested in seeing it.
For anybody who's interested, I came out of it with a concussion and a broken collarbone with relatively minor bike damage - pretty lucky for a bonehead who locks up the front wheel at 100 mph!

Jim

pjzocc

Good to see you posting up! Yeah you could've been a bit worse given your dismount. No video for you but good luck on your recovery!

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Glad you are relatively ok. Best of luck with the recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdelegram

Control Rider
Jim,

Glad your ok and on the road to recovery. Getting over an accident takes time so don’t become frustrated when you’re back. Question for you to help understand your accident, were you already on the front brake and over applied or was this as you were going to the brakes? If it was the latter, I would guess you went to the lever too aggressive not getting some loading on the tire before asking it for too much grip. If the former were you at max braking and trying to turn? Again asking too much of the tire causing it to lock up? understanding what caused your accident is important so you don’t repeat your mistake and it will help you focus on what needs to change and get you back up to pace sooner. Get well soon and back out there with us!

bronsonj

Tom,
Unfortunately, my recollection of what happened is spotty. It was definitely before turn in. I feel like it was about half way into my normal braking zone, so I don't think I grabbed too much initial brake but I could be wrong. I was surprised when the front wheel started flopping back & forth like it was on ice! I was trying to do what you & I had talked about - getting my butt over before braking. A lot of the times in doing that I was getting way more weight on my hands/arms than I'm used to. I'm used to a much lighter touch on the bars. It could be that lack of feel caused my to grab too much brake. The other thing I've considered is that I may have bottomed out my shocks. Not trying to blame the machine, but looking at the zip ties on my forks shows it close to what I think the limit is. Because my memory of the whole thing is lacking, I may never know. In retrospect, I should have slowed it down more while trying something new!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Maybe moving while at max brake putting extra forces into the bars? Hind sight is always 20/20, and it’s hard to dial back but I agree should have backed off while getting used to something new.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Funny thing about concussions is you often lose 15 seconds of memory prior to the actual hit. I believe it takes that long for the memory to imprint to the hard drive.
It took almost a year for the 15 seconds or so to come back for me. Kinda wish it hadn't . The following 15-30 minutes are spotty at best.