lets talk tire wrapping

djhurayt

Who does it and why.

Are you just wrapping at the end of an event until the next ???
Are you using a softener/treatment then wrapping ???
How about long term i.e. over the winter ???
Just a gimmick ???

All comments, pro & con welcomed

tdelegram

Control Rider
No idea what rapping is other than gift and hip hop, but with a liter bike tires wear out so fast it doesn’t matter.

djhurayt

The idea is to take plastic wrap and wrap the tread of the tire after the end of the day/weekend to help preserve the natural oils in the rubber from gassing off any easier than necessary. That is my understanding. I thing the go-kart and circle track racers do it, but it is due to using a tire softener or other tire treatments.

You know that blueish look the rubber gets after sitting a for a while of non-use. My understanding is this is the oil that have come out of the rubber and has oxidized and the wrapping help
1) keep air (ozone, oxygen) away from the tire
2) the compression helps somewhat in keeping the oils in the rubber as opposed to on the surface of the rubber

bmart

Control Rider
Sure feels like a gimmick to me. I run OLD tires and they never move a mm during track day abuse until the rubber is gone.

chrisplm

Chris
I've done it to tires that I'm storing over the winter. Those are stored indoors so they don't crack in the cold. I don't know how much it helps or not, but it can't hurt, plus it keeps the rubber from marking up the carpet in the room I'm storing them in and it keeps the room from spelling like rubber. But like Tom said, in the summer, it seems like I burn through them so fast, no time to wrap them :D.
According to Dunlop, Ozone is a concern as well, so don't store them next to furnaces or electric motors (crazy right?)

tdelegram

Control Rider
The shiny coat on new tires is peanut oil if I am remaining correctly, it’s places as a protectant and to keep the oils from seeping. You could reapply something like that or just wear them out.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
The shiny coat on new tires is peanut oil if I am remaining correctly, it’s places as a protectant and to keep the oils from seeping. You could reapply something like that or just wear them out.
I thought that years ago that shine on new tires was mold release. But the tire manufacturers today have the interior of there molds coated with a Teflon like material to allow the tires to come out easily. That is why the super slick surface of new tires must be scrubbed-in.

bmart

Control Rider
Brands are not all the same either. I have been told for years that Dunlops don't heat cycle, and I believe it. Mine heat-cool many times over the course of their use with me (can be years), including sitting in the sun and/or on the warmers all day but not used. They never alter the grip they deliver to me. I've also not had to scrub any tires in. They work right from mile 1.

scotsman459

Tire moulds are teflon coated, which causes the 'silky smooth' surface, I'm pretty sure most manufacturers dont use a release agent now. Storing tires over the winter, just keep them in a climate stable environment. I have heard of ceran wrapping them, I tried it once and all I found, was moisture build up under the wrap. Personally, if I finish the season on a decent tire, I will allow a slow cool down before loading the bike and once home, i keep the bike/tires off the ground at home. That's all I do for my 1000.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk