Parts to help the bike survive the crash?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
After my low side in turn 5 last November at Barber I began to think about how to help my bike survive anymore mistakes on my part. I was very lucky, no injuries and no real damage to my bike other than scratches on stator cover, bar end and plastics. I was back on the track in the next session but the rest of my weekend would have been ruined if ANYTHING on the bike had been broken. Especially since I crashed Saturday morning.

I want to put on case covers, frame sliders, axle sliders, clip-ons, rear sets and a toe guard. Looking at these items from a crashed bike being able to get back on the track asap in what order would you add them to the bike. I don’t have the money to buy everything at once. I’m planning on going with case covers, frame sliders and toe guard first but after that I’m not sure what should go with next, clip-ons, rear sets or other miscellaneous sliders around the bike.

Kruizen

Control Rider
I’d go with case covers, and clip ones first, then rear sets.

Case covers protect from grinding down and loosing fluids, both clip ones and rear sets have easily replaceable parts and you can easily carry spare pegs and bars with you. Or someone will have them in their backup parts.

bmart

Control Rider
I think that there are two parts to this, you and your bike. I used to bring extra gear (suit, helmet, gloves) but now bring only a spare face shield and gloves. Any decent quality suit and boots are going to hold up in any crash that you're going to want to ride after. I've seen enough folks crash in a "wide range of quality" gear and there are brands I wouldn't touch. If you don't have good gear, I'd spend my money there first. Having a bike that works and a rider that doesn't won't get you very far. :)

For the bike, ensure that the body is securely attached. Having bodywork that won't grenade on impact goes a long way. Sliders generally do their job and keep the other bits off of the pavement. My B bike has aftermarket engine cases on it. My A bike has them...but they's still on the work bench and will likely go on at the next oil change. I rarely see a broken engine case in a crash, but it does happen and it frequently ends a person's day. They are cheap insurance, particularly if you get them off of eBay used (how I get mine).

My equipment is mostly stock (cheap to buy and easy to find parts). I carry a box of spare to the track. It includes rear sets with pegs, handlebars (complete with throttle tube and cables) and levers, a complement of bolts in various sizes, a regulator/rectifier, a few coils, and spare brake pads. Always have quality duct/gorilla tape and cable ties in your kit. I've seen both save the day far more often than hard parts. I hope that this is helpful!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
The thing about crashing, unfortunately you won't know the outcome until it happens. You can have several parts and it can be the one thing you don't have. Bring everything!! Here's a short list...:D

* Clip-ons bars
* Wind screen
* Master cylinder
* Reservoir holder
* Levers both sides
* Grips
* Foot pegs
* Foot levers
* Chain
* Exhaust
* Shift rod
* Sprockets
* Brake pads
* Oil filter
* Oil
* Fuel pump
* Brake fluid
* Water wetter
* Clutch kit
* Sensors (wheels, air intake, shift, etc)
* Battery
* Warmers
* Subframe
* Fuses
* Tires
* Hardware
* Generator
* Leathers
* Helmet
* Gloves
* Back protector
* Boots

There is more I didn't want to keep going on and on...although I would say unless it's absolutely necessary, I wouldn't buy my spares brand new. Remember your gear can get damaged as well.

The thing about crashing, unfortunately you won't know the outcome until it happens. You can have several parts and it can be the one thing you don't have. Bring everything!! Here's a short list...:D

* Clip-ons bars
* Wind screen
* Master cylinder
* Reservoir holder
* Levers both sides
* Grips
* Foot pegs
* Foot levers
* Chain
* Exhaust
* Shift rod
* Sprockets
* Brake pads
* Oil filter
* Oil
* Fuel pump
* Brake fluid
* Water wetter
* Clutch kit
* Sensors (wheels, air intake, shift, etc)
* Battery
* Warmers
* Subframe
* Fuses
* Tires
* Hardware
* Generator
* Leathers
* Helmet
* Gloves
* Back protector
* Boots

There is more I didn't want to keep going on and on...although I would say unless it's absolutely necessary, I wouldn't buy my spares brand new. Remember your gear can get damaged as well.
So you’re saying that I should bring another bike . :rofl:

chrisplm

Chris
Quick tip for doing clip ons: buy an extra set of bars (they are cheap and interchangeable between brands). When you are drilling holes in the bars for throttle tube and switch clamp/notches, do it to a second set too, so if you break a bar, you can put a new one on quick without having to figure the drilling out at the track.

Thanks guys and gal. I’m going to go with Eric’s recommendation of clip-ons and case covers first. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough money to get a few more things off of Vin’s list too. ;)

Yup. I have seen that on crashed bikes. That’s why I was originally going to get those first. I did put them third on my “WTB” posting.

Motofun352

Control Rider
While it's not "for the bike"....Bring a spare helmet. They're only good for one crash and it's nearly impossible to keep your head off the ground if you have an "OOPSIE". I keep my 6 year old helmet as a spare, just in case. I know it's a little old but I trust it better than one that has been squashed.

SirBonus

While it's not "for the bike"....Bring a spare helmet. They're only good for one crash and it's nearly impossible to keep your head off the ground if you have an "OOPSIE". I keep my 6 year old helmet as a spare, just in case. I know it's a little old but I trust it better than one that has been squashed.

Your probably better off not riding than chancing a 6 year old helmet. Also, a helmet that old shouldn't pass tech.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Bell helmets are good for 5 years and most are only good for 3.

bmart

Control Rider
That is a Internet lie supported by zero testing. I talked with the helmet places after that rumor got started (and some track day orgs used it believing that they were protecting their riders). There are many variables to a helmet being beyond end of life. I would trust my 10 year old Shoei before I put a helmet that had a bad crash on my head (or yours!).