Renting a bike for the Barber track day? Any experience?

streetroc85350

Hey guys. I've never done a track day before but I'm really hoping to make it to the second day of the Barber Motorsports track day in Alabama. (have to attend a wedding on Saturday or I would do both days). I don't have a bike at the moment and it doesn't look like I will be able to get one before then. I'd really like to try riding on the track though. Has anyone ever had any experiences with the bike rental program? I looked into it but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of details as to exactly what kind of bikes they rent and what kind of gear you would need to bring.I have a two piece leather suit and some boots but I would need a helmet and gloves. Is renting a bike a good way to try track riding for the first time or should I just wait until next year when I could buy my own? I'm an experienced rider and have owned many bikes, I have just never done a track day. I don't know what kind of bikes are available but I think a stock 600 would suit me just fine if it would be available to rent. What do you guys think?

tdelegram

Control Rider
I just texted Emerson from Bobble Head moto, he runs the bike rental program and can talk to you about what’s available and how much. N2 also has some rental gear just not sure on helmets and gloves I’ll ping John to answer those questions. Regarding is it worth it, that’s not a question I can answer, but I am addicted to this stuff and if that’s how I needed to get my fix I would.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Welcome to the sport!

Take a look at the rider's manual for the gear requirements. Id link but my phone is misbehaving.

Whether you should buy a bike and gear or rent first depends on where you are at. Like Tom said, track days are a life-changing experience. My wife and I did our first one and we both got better paying jobs and a bigger house just to store our track related stuff because of how addicting it is. Your first track day you will need to make sure that your gear will pass tech, your bike will pass tech and you will need to figure out transportation to and from the track which was a lot to learn about. If you rent a bike you can kind of just show up with your gear and ride. You can also get a feel for the track and see what types of other bikes people are riding. You will see people on clapped out SV650s having a blast.

One of the best parts about the track is how supportive the community is. Keep asking questions on the forum there's a ton of knowledge and people are willing to help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Motofun352

Control Rider
I can't imagine using a rental helmet...yechhh. Since you are street riding anyways go get a decent helmet and make sure it fits properly. Fit is more important (IMHO) than cost/quality. Boots need to be race type boots, ie not work boots and the gloves need to be gauntlet style. 2 piece leather suits are OK as long as they have a full circumference zipper.
Here's where things get a little confusing.....This sport is highly addictive (like 99%). For sure, it depends on your financial status, but IF you can afford it, it makes sense to buy quality safety gear. Also check out the WERA forum as good deals can be found there on used gear.

streetroc85350

One more note about the helmet...it needs to be a full face. And modular helmets are not allowed.
The link to the Riders Manual that Dom was referring to: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/N2-Riders-Manual-2019.pdf

Thanks. I have a full face Icon helmet that is in good shape but the fit is a little loose. I didn't know if I could just rent a better helmet for the day. The gloves I have stop at the wrists and I would prob need some of the ones that cover my forearms too.

streetroc85350

Curious to know your riding background....

Started riding on the street at 18. I've had numerous 600s and 750s. Last bike was a Honda 954RR. Sold it a long time ago because all the cage drivers on their phones forced me to make the tough decision to give up street riding. Haven't been on a bike in several years so I'm sure that the back of the pack in the beginner group is where I should be. I'm just eager to get back on two wheels and this seems like the safest way to do it. I figured renting a bike and some gear for a day would be a good way to scratch that itch

Motofun352

Control Rider
Thanks. I have a full face Icon helmet that is in good shape but the fit is a little loose. I didn't know if I could just rent a better helmet for the day. The gloves I have stop at the wrists and I would prob need some of the ones that cover my forearms too.
Smart move on the helmet...A too loose helmet may just be almost as bad as no helmet. Helmets are all about controlling (ie slowing down) the deceleration of a head impact. If your head is loose in the helmet it can actually accelerate into the liner causing a net higher G loading. With black friday coming up there are lots of good deals to be had. 2 things to look for are build date and a good return policy if the fit or comfort is off.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
S Last bike was a Honda 954RR.
I had a CBR929. Fun bike! I had that thing soooo modded out. Full Arata titanium exhaust, OZ wheels.... I could go on. Used if for street and track. Sold it to get a dedicated 600 for the track (2007 gsxr 600), and a more upright bike for the street (2013 Versys 650).

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
I had a CBR929. Fun bike! I had that thing soooo modded out. Full Arata titanium exhaust, OZ wheels.... I could go on. Used if for street and track. Sold it to get a dedicated 600 for the track (2007 gsxr 600), and a more upright bike for the street (2013 Versys 650).

But is it going to stay a 600 in 2020? :)