Countdown to Barber

streetroc85350

Anyone else see the rain forecast for Saturday/Sunday? I know N2 rides in the rain, but if they call it, how far in advance do they call it?

Yeah I'd like to know the answer to this as well. How bad does it have to be for them to call off the event? Saturday looks like rain all day and Sunday is going to be thunderstorms all day. I'll be renting a bike and taking time off work so I need to know ASAP.

bmart

Control Rider
Be sure to look at the amount of rain per hour, not the % chance of rain. Saturday looks great and at least 1/2 of Sunday looks pretty good too. It'll likely continue to decrease as we get closer. Be safe, all!

mpusch

Micah
Regarding the weather comments above - I understand the stress that can be involved, but it's just part of the game. Sometimes the forecast will call for rain and you'll get it, and plenty of times they'll call for it and it'll be better than expected. Some people will take it as a chance to work on their craft, work on being smooth, and gaining experience. Some people just don't find it fun and they'll skip the day/sessions.

To make sure everyone is on the same page, N2 and the track don't cancel track days for normal storms. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is when a *literal hurricane* was going through New Jersey so they canceled one of the days (a day or two in advance).

SlownSteady

Regarding the weather comments above - I understand the stress that can be involved, but it's just part of the game. Sometimes the forecast will call for rain and you'll get it, and plenty of times they'll call for it and it'll be better than expected. Some people will take it as a chance to work on their craft, work on being smooth, and gaining experience. Some people just don't find it fun and they'll skip the day/sessions.

To make sure everyone is on the same page, N2 and the track don't cancel track days for normal storms. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is when a *literal hurricane* was going through New Jersey so they canceled one of the days (a day or two in advance).

Appreciate it. Since my family has canceled Thanksgiving this year I’ve got a good 10 hour drive to Barber.

Mace

man I ride out of Texas, long haul out to Barber. Who is the tire vendor? Hope they have some rain tires. Any info would help.

mpusch

Micah
Appreciate it. Since my family has canceled Thanksgiving this year I’ve got a good 10 hour drive to Barber.

I'm with you. I make the drive down to Barber from NY each year (for the last three years). It's a long drive (14 hours straight?) but Barber really is a cool track. I still think Pittrace is my favorite, but Barber is a close second. I've ridden it almost exclusively in the rain and still had a great time.

If you're at all interested in seeing different types of bikes and such, the museum there is worth a couple hours of looking around! Wife and I finally had the time to visit it this year and it was a fun experience.

man I ride out of Texas, long haul out to Barber. Who is the tire vendor? Hope they have some rain tires. Any info would help.

Great point about rain tires too. I'm a big fan of making someone's first track days (not talking about you specifically) as simple as possible. However, once someone is a bit more invested in the sport, having a second set of rims with rain tires is really nice. Rain tires are pretty amazing...

bmart

Control Rider
If you have the time, the museum is worth a full day. They have an FJ1200...and some others. lol

IMG_0829.JPG

Blk08R1

Rain has already moved a few times. Weather here is almost like Florida, changes all day. I think it’ll clear up for Saturday. Sunday may be a little wet.

Mace

I learned a long time ago, you must be present to win. A few years back at Texas World Speedway it carried on all night and looked poor when the sun came up. A few hours later I ran my first sub 1:58 laps on a SV with Q3's. One of my most memorable sessions ever.

bmart

Control Rider
I learned a long time ago, you must be present to win. A few years back at Texas World Speedway it carried on all night and looked poor when the sun came up. A few hours later I ran my first sub 1:58 laps on a SV with Q3's. One of my most memorable sessions ever.

Right on. One of my best track day memories was when I was out with another Turn 1 coach at CMP. It was pouring. We were both on street DOTs. No one else would go out there. We had a frackin' blast. What a lesson in body position, smoothness, rider inputs...and how you can have fun in any situation.

Poper

I learned a long time ago, you must be present to win.

This nails it. In 14 years of trackdays I can count on one hand how many total rainouts I’ve sat through. Conversely, we all have a story after story of the track drying out and having a blast.

busabruce

Weather looks way better today. I only signed up for Sunday so I've got an 8 hour drive from Tampa. See you guys/gals on Sunday!