Lap timer and data apps

Laszlo

Yeah, I’m going to buy the Racebox Mini _S_ since I don’t need to have a phone connection. I’m curious, among other aspects, for how I can integrate this into taking notes on paper about tracks and my track experience and reflections…a soft of mix of qualitative with quantitative . . .

Yeah, I’m going to buy the Racebox Mini _S_ since I don’t need to have a phone connection. I’m curious, among other aspects, for how I can integrate this into taking notes on paper about tracks and my track experience and reflections…a soft of mix of qualitative with quantitative . . .

I think you’ll find it intuitively useful.

Below is T1 and T2 from last weekend at Roebling Road Raceway (Savannah, GA).

What I can tell from looking at my line is I can afford to tip in a little later, carry more corner speed deeper towards the second rumble strip (exit apex), increase trail braking, get the bike pointed, stood up and WOT sooner. I think I could probably gain a good half second and set myself up for better passes on the right before T3.

The RaceBox MINI (and any other GPS-based lap timer) will show you what you’re doing and where. You’ll be able to see corners you’re doing well at, mentally set those to ‘repeat’ and focus your attention on the corners where you know you need to attack differently.

I’m looking forward to the next track day @tdelegram is at (or any other CR with race and data experience) to get insight about best practices for analysis. I’m not fixated on numbers or obsessed with data but want to use the metrics to accelerate my training.

1685236681473.jpeg

Laszlo

"want to use the metrics to accelerate my training"

This, this is spot on for what i want to use it for. Would love a session on this at a track day... Or even a YCRS Grad class...

Like any of the GPS-based lap timers, you’ll get data for every lap of every session. Plenty to review.

I’m riding CMP next weekend and looking forward to setting my baseline data set for that track. Riding it again later this summer with N2 so it’ll be nice to have a start point for what corners I need to improve on.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Like any of the GPS-based lap timers, you’ll get data for every lap of every session. Plenty to review.

I’m riding CMP next weekend and looking forward to setting my baseline data set for that track. Riding it again later this summer with N2 so it’ll be nice to have a start point for what corners I need to improve on.
Hey Brenden,
I'm trying to get my FZ together to ride CMP next weekend too.
I've gotten pretty good with RaceStudio 3 if you want to have a look and compare to your timer/software. (I'm running the SOLO DL.)

Laszlo

I think you’ll find it intuitively useful.

Below is T1 and T2 from last weekend at Roebling Road Raceway (Savannah, GA).

What I can tell from looking at my line is I can afford to tip in a little later, carry more corner speed deeper towards the second rumble strip (exit apex), increase trail braking, get the bike pointed, stood up and WOT sooner. I think I could probably gain a good half second and set myself up for better passes on the right before T3.

The RaceBox MINI (and any other GPS-based lap timer) will show you what you’re doing and where. You’ll be able to see corners you’re doing well at, mentally set those to ‘repeat’ and focus your attention on the corners where you know you need to attack differently.

I’m looking forward to the next track day @tdelegram is at (or any other CR with race and data experience) to get insight about best practices for analysis. I’m not fixated on numbers or obsessed with data but want to use the metrics to accelerate my training.

View attachment 9900
Hi there and hope you’re well and staying cool (it’s a balmy 90 something here near Philly):

Did you mount it on the tail? Instructions suggest mounting somewhere central on the bike, and horizontal, and if I mount on tank then I’m not sure how well it would have reliable GPS sat access, so I’m thinking the tail and seeing how the data comes out.

Laszlo

Yes, mounted it to the tail. Works great for me.
Thanks and figured, but good to know so I’m not mounting it, getting odd data, then remounting it (my experience, for example, with the second and third generation Whoop strap which was good, but was crummy when worn on recommended location of wrist, whereas bicep gave much better data in that less outliers and better trend level data). Thanks again and see you on the track at some point!

Laszlo

Got the device and will play with it this weekend. Have a Gymkhana practice session so I'll check it out there

Laszlo

Yes, mounted it to the tail. Works great for me.
Not sure about mounting points on the tail of my Speed Triple RR.... How level is yours? I ask because the instructions say to keep at level, but what I have seen of mounting points not only on motorcycles but on cars, it's not like it's super level. I'm thinking of actually maybe just sticking it on the front most part of my tank...

Laszlo

Hi there @NothingClever ! Hope all is well on your end. Curious about your Racebox experience so far? I have an android phone and it keeps disconnecting after a tad, regardless of what settings in battery optimization, etc. I have it. Curious how your experience has been. I have an apple phone through work and may run it off of that to see if it improves, but would like to avoid having any personal data on work phone.

I have the Racebox Mini S which is also supposed to run without a phone for data recording but it’s a no dice on that.

May have solved it. Firmware update to the device itself. Will see tomorrow; have a custom track route near me where I do gymkhana and will test it.
Very interested in your results. The draw for the mini S for me is running it without a phone. I had it in my cart and held off, then they sent me a coupon to make it even more enticing. That said I'm still thinking about the dragy even though it has less features because I'll mainly be using it in my car and it's cheaper.

Curious about your Racebox experience so far?

I have the Racebox Mini S which is also supposed to run without a phone for data recording but it’s a no dice on that.

I’m really enjoying it. While I recognize the two AIM tools are the gold standard, the RaceBox Mini is soooo convenient. I get in from a session, throw the warmers on, grab a bottle of water and plop down in my paddock chair to review all my metrics in one spot without any extra steps.

The Mini battery lasts all day if you’re disciplined about disconnecting in the app. The phone battery is the one that needs monitoring.

I haven’t had any problems but I have the plain Mini (not Mini S) and an iPhone 13 Pro Max

I’m seeing both Minis more frequently now.