03 600RR fitment

jcwalter

Hello,

I have a question regarding the AB kit for the 2003 600RR. I installed mine the other week and must say the fitment was not quiet what I expected. I really had to fight the whole thing pretty much. Where the upper and lower meet was a big pain, and once installed, the indented area for the rear lower holes were completely off. The upper was mounted using the provided hole markings for the fairing stay. I had to drill basically into the side of the "dish" to get it to fit.

Now my real question is this. Should a seat pan or something be provided for the seat section? I installed this area using the provided holes, which MOSTLY lined up, and after my first trackday this last weekend the dang thing cracked around the left seat bolt. It seems like it sits up high and must have cracked once I sat on it for an extended amount of time. Good thing FG is easy to fix... Just a little feed back I guess, maybe a note in the box suggesting inserting something there to prevent it from bending down from the riders weight.

Also, where the upper and lower meet, it seems like because of the rather poor fitment it is near impossible to get dzus fastners to fasten, I broke 2 trying to get them locked. I will bend down the springs on the fastners to facilitate easier latching but I think it is more due to the fit between the upper and lower.

Where the tank cover and the upper meet also fits rather poorly. Even pushing the pieces together some and fastening them together did not result in a great fit. I spent about two days installing, plus some time to fill holes. I wish AB included some kind of instructions about whether to use the two stamped windscreen brackets that normally hold the middle windscreen well nuts, they won't work with the marked holes so I decided not to use them. I understand it is pretty straight forward but I really fought this kit and envy those of you who were able to drill and install in an hour.

Sorry for the rant.

Jon