06-07 GSXR Upper fairing mount question

andykurz

Trying to wrap up my repairs on my GSXR. Question on mounting the upper race fairing.

How are people securing the rear most part of their upper fairings? The circled part below (not my bike):

IMG_00033.jpg

There were some expanding rubber plugs in there before, but they were lost in the crash, and probably have been hit by the mower at NJMP. I do not know where to find them, and have been looking all over teh intrawebz this morning to no avail. I will probably zip tie them down for the time being, but any suggestions are appreciated.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I also used well nuts in that area. I found them at Home Depot. I think the size was 20. They didn't fit snug in the hole (I would have liked to find ones that fit a bit tighter prior to screwing on the bodywork), but once screwed in, they expanded enough to stay put.

andykurz

Well nuts, thank you, I couldn't think of what they were called. I'll try to get some at the hardware store.

Thanks for the replies, and Judy, I hope you are healing well!

Highboro

Hi andykurz – Hopefully your repairs are going well and you will have your bike back together soon, if you haven’t done so already. I have a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 and I want to install race fairings. Do you have Armor Bodies or Shark Skinz race fairings? Did you install your fairing yourself? If so, was it difficult? Did you have to make any modifications to our bike (i.e., drilling, etc.)? Are you using your seat or a foam seat pad? Thanks in advance!

andykurz

I bought the bike with the plastics already on, but installing race plastics is pretty much the same on all bike. THey usually come unpainted and undrilled. You will have to drill holes at all the mounting points.

You can usually use stock hardware to mount the plastics, and DZUS fasteners to mount the upper fairing to the lower fairings.

On the seat, if the tail you buy has a cutout for the seat, you can use your stock seat, otherwise, you will have to put a foam pad on the tail. Most companies sell both versions, so that is up to you.

Judy, above, was right. HD has well nuts, which are nice on the 06-07 GSXRs. They just don't take abuse well, so it is worth buying some spares, they are very cheap.

JVance

I have had my 06 GSXR since 2008 and I have never secured this part of the fairing. The frame sliders seem to do a good job of holding the fairing in place.

John

NthoozEist

On my 06 GSXR 1k there is a little stud or plug rather that plus in to a rubber cushion that's inside the frame.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Highboro

Thanks everyone. *andykruz - what brand race fairings do you have (Armor bodies or Shark skinz)? *Are you pleased with the product?

andykurz

I have Armor Bodies. I like them a lot. I chose to crash test them at NJMP and they did very well. You know, for science...:doh:

I've had Hotbodies on other bikes, which were thin and brittle. The AB stuff is thick and a little more pliable.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
andykurz;259343 wrote: I have Armor Bodies. I like them a lot. I chose to crash test them at NJMP and they did very well. You know, for science...:doh:
Agree, I also have Armour Bodies and just want to add that the fit and finish is great. They were relatively easy to drill and mount. I did crash test mine, and they were repaired once. The second crash did them in, but to be fair, no bodywork would have survived that last one.

Also, if you call Woodcraft and order directly from them -and have your nesba member number when you do so- you get $100 off a set.