06 GSXR 750 brake suggestions plz

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
After a brief moment of insanity when I thought I wanted to sell my soon to be track bike, I came to my senses and have decided to keep it. It has the recalled master cylinder but since I bought it with a parts only/certificate of destruction no dealer would perform the recall repair. That's fine, I wouldn't expect them to. So I have decided to replace the master cylinder instead.

I'm probably going to go with a Brembo 19x18 master and some braided steel lines. This all seems good in my mind but I am sure that I don't see the full picture. The information I have found about doing this is a little vague, at least for me. I have questions. Do I need to replace my reservoir? If so, what kind of bracket? I have a Ladybird style on the bike now. Will it fit around the bars properly without any other modifications. Will I need to replace my calipers? Cost? Any other suggestions or information I should know about?

OR should I just abandon all this crazy nonsense and just have the stock master cylinder professionally rebuilt for $100 and drop some coin on the braided steel brake lines? How long will the rebuild last, considering its of good quality work? I would hate to waste money on something that won't last.

I don't get to go to maybe 6 track days a year if I'm lucky and I still consider myself a noob. So what would be the best option for me in your opinion? Please don't say that it's up to me or it's a personal choice. I know that, I want to know what the far more experienced people think? If you need to ask questions to help me I will be more than happy to answer them. Thanks in advance. :like:

rhill

For peace of mind, I'd get the recall done or changed out with something else. I say that even though I kept my old master cylinder for way too long, but it was always in the back of my mind. Not sure exactly what they will be replacing with the "rebuild" but if it is just labor + o rings, it isn't enough. As far as everything I've read; it is the surface coating(or lack of) on one of the internal hard parts that is the issue.

As long as the reservoir hose reaches to the master input nipple (some masters inputs are in slightly different locations) it should be as simple as swapping the masters, redoing the connections and bleeding the system. (use new crush washers)

I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to steel braided lines as you have planned.

From what I'm told, the internals are replaced and the inside of the master cylinder is honed out.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I put a brembo 19x18 on mine. It works fantastic. If you go that route, you will need a new reservoir and tubing. Stock tubing is 8mm, brembo is 6mm. You'll also need a mount, the ladybird works great. Kurveygirl sells the reservoirs and brake fluid resistant tubing, and the ladybird mount. She probably sells the master cylinders too, but I've only looked there for parts recently. For the front brake, just do not get the 15 mL reservoir, get one of the two larger ones.
The brembo will fit around the bars just fine.
I have an '07 gsxr 600. I kept the stock calipers. I have steel braided lines and vesrah rjl pads. I did put new rotors on, but only because the buttons on the stock rotors kept loosening and my warranty ran out - I wasn't paying money for those, but they worked fine until the buttons got loose.

rhill

I put a brembo 19x18 on mine. It works fantastic. If you go that route, you will need a new reservoir and tubing. Stock tubing is 8mm, brembo is 6mm. You'll also need a mount, the ladybird works great. Kurveygirl sells the reservoirs and brake fluid resistant tubing, and the ladybird mount. She probably sells the master cylinders too, but I've only looked there for parts recently. For the front brake, just do not get the 15 mL reservoir, get one of the two larger ones.

Didn't realize brembo's used a smaller tube diameter, good to know!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
It's up to you and it's a personal choice...:D:D 6 days or less per year, I would change brake lines and get another stock MC and keep it moving.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
R6 Master (brembo), SS brake lines, R6 calipers and you'll have awesome brakes.
On my GSXR (back before I saw the light) I put a brembo on it, although it did get better it still wasn't very good. Once I installed the R6 calipers it was a night and day difference.

PS-- BHM has all the stuff you need, be it the R6 set up or the Brembo master ;-)

coholm

I have 03 R1 master and calipers on my 06 gsxr 750. Work good, previous owner did the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any preference on SS brake lines manufacture, I'm considering Spiegler. Also I am thinking about putting in a bridge with the new lines but can't seem to find any.

R6 Master (brembo), SS brake lines, R6 calipers and you'll have awesome brakes.
On my GSXR (back before I saw the light) I put a brembo on it, although it did get better it still wasn't very good. Once I installed the R6 calipers it was a night and day difference.

PS-- BHM has all the stuff you need, be it the R6 set up or the Brembo master ;-)
Noob question, BHM? Ran a web search several different companies came up.