07 R1 Wont start please help!!!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
So i just bought my 07 R1 at a salvage auction, bike is a theft recovery so its not wrecked or anything funny like that, the only thing is that the ignition is broken. i finally got it home today and the Damn thing wont start, everything lights up on the dash, fuel pump works. Everything seems normal except for the fact that when the bike is in neutral the light on the dash doesn't light up. when i push the start button nothing no clicks or anything. checked the fuses all are good, anyone have any idea of what it could be, or if anyone knows a good mech in NOVA that would be cool too.

Yank 521

Control Rider
congrats emerson on the new bike. thanks for hookin my boi stan up on that 750. he will be doing track days with us next year.

TN10R

Since the neutral light doesn't come on, check to make sure the gear indicator wire is hookup up and functioning. If the bike doesn't know it is in neutral it won't engauge the starter.

Motomoon

Do you own a test light? Brian's issue we messed with was his stater motor was junk.

Under the set is the starter selonoid. It will have 2 heavy gauge wires going to it. One is 12v from the batter positive the other goes to the starter. You should be able to hear it click when you hit the starter and the switch closes making contact between the 2 wires. You can bypass the switch by jumping the two lugs together with a wire. If the starter cranks then you know the motor is good nd you have an issues with the selonoid or the signal wire that trip the selonoid

If the neutral switch is bad on the bike then you need to have the clutch pulled in becuase the bike thinks its in gear and wont start, in turn the clutch micro switch needs to be working also. These can be checked for continuity with a multi meter if your familar with using one.

Nomally the ignition on the newer yamahas switch 2 circuits . I will have to check which wires do what at work tomorrow and get back to you. If the selonoid is clicking when you hit the starter button then life will be easier. If its not either its bad or the signal wire to it isnt functioning which will be a little harder to diagnose

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Motomoon;17980 wrote: Do you own a test light? Brian's issue we messed with was his stater motor was junk.

Under the set is the starter selonoid. It will have 2 heavy gauge wires going to it. One is 12v from the batter positive the other goes to the starter. You should be able to hear it click when you hit the starter and the switch closes making contact between the 2 wires. You can bypass the switch by jumping the two lugs together with a wire. If the starter cranks then you know the motor is good nd you have an issues with the selonoid or the signal wire that trip the selonoid

If the neutral switch is bad on the bike then you need to have the clutch pulled in becuase the bike thinks its in gear and wont start, in turn the clutch micro switch needs to be working also. These can be checked for continuity with a multi meter if your familar with using one.

Nomally the ignition on the newer yamahas switch 2 circuits . I will have to check which wires do what at work tomorrow and get back to you. If the selonoid is clicking when you hit the starter button then life will be easier. If its not either its bad or the signal wire to it isnt functioning which will be a little harder to diagnose
Thanks Chris i'll try to bypass the selonoid today, i know for a fact that if i have the clutch in and side stand up there is no clicking on the selonoid.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I bypassed the solenoid and the starter works fine. The bike still doesnt start, any thoughts? i'm going to try and bypass the kill switch.

Motomoon

Lets rule out the busted ignition switch.

Follow the switch's wiring to the white and red connectors. If you jump the 2 wires in each connector together that should fire up your fuel pump and dash lights etc. The white connector fires up most everything and you should be able to crank over the bike. The red connector is the puzzle piece and the one I want to verify is working. The 2 wires in that connector need to be jumped to each other as well or the bike will light up, pump runs and starter works but it will just crank and not fire. With key on, the white connector should have 12v on both heavy gauge wires. The red conn should have ground on both thin wires. Key off white should have 12v on one wire and red should have ground on only one wire.

The starter sel has a plug with 4 wires 3 are red and 1 is blue or greyish? with the key on there will be power to all 4 until you hit the starter button then they blue wire should go to ground and that is your signal wire to crank over the starter. If your not getting ground to that blue wire when you hit the start button try and jump it from the ground off the battery. It should make the sel click over and starter run.

Now if that starts the bike then I would be suspect of the kill switch assembly? If you jump the red and white conn or they are making connection correctly and then you just try to jump the starter the bike will crank but it still will not start. It appears that it needs to see that signal wire go to ground to start.

Electrical issues suck because you can work thru them so many diff ways and diaging this stuff on the internet is a slow process.

Good luck.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Thanks Chris i tried what you said but there is no spark getting to the engine, i dropped it of at the mech. thanks again.

Matt H

For future reference, also be aware that jumping wires may not start the bike (even if you are bypassing the problem). As I found out one day when I lost the key to my bike, I jumped everything "correctly" and the bike would crank and still not start. Turns out that the key acts as a resistor - so I actually had to put an inline resistor in the wiring. And then the bike started with the wires jumped. Hope that made sense...