2005 R1 water temp

DethWshBkr

I have no experience with Yamahas other than with this bike, which I now have 4 days on it.

Anyone with either an older gen,or even the newer bikes - what is your normal running water temp? My CBRs that I've owned since 1998, all of them have been 175-220 normal water temp - with moving always near 180. Granted, this is highway or street riding, not track riding, but my 600, 954, and both 1000s have always been the same numbers.

Does anyone know what water temps they have been getting on these things during a track event?

DethWshBkr

Ooof.

I was watching my videos from Summit on Monday, and I was 175 at pit out. 180-190's for the first two laps. Then lap 3, she clicked over 200, and then goes from 210-221 until I park it.

I am running straight water myself. I've noticed she makes a light (Not obnoxious, but I'm aware of it) popping on decel sometimes when over 200. I assume the bike is running lean - which would give me the popping and the high water temps.

bmart

Control Rider
Plenty to look at. Lean. Air in coolant system. My bikes run anywhere 180-220 depending on what they're doing.

DethWshBkr

It does have an aftermarket exhaust, and to my knowledge has an unmodified ECU. That would bring it lean most likely as well.

I mean, it is hauling around my fat butt, but Im a little surprised to see that sort of temp!

DethWshBkr

I don't think so. To be honest I did not look that deep into the engine at all. I bought the bike in April and our first track day was in May so I really didn't do much to the bike yet. The guy I bought it from, it was his third backup bike, so it was not used very much and mostly stock.
I would assume it does not have the block offs. I did just add a power commander and updated the map which definitely did change the fuel curves.
The decel popping is only once the water temp gets above about 205.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I didn't read much above so I'll just spout off. My 2018 r1 is around 180 when circulating on hot days. Add some water wetter or equivalent in increases the surface tension of the water and allows it to transfer more heat. If the bike has an exhaust and intake and isn't tuned it is most likely running lean making more heat due to the lean mixture.

DethWshBkr

I didn't read much above so I'll just spout off. My 2018 r1 is around 180 when circulating on hot days. Add some water wetter or equivalent in increases the surface tension of the water and allows it to transfer more heat. If the bike has an exhaust and intake and isn't tuned it is most likely running lean making more heat due to the lean mixture.

Running lean has been my thought as well which is why I did the Power Commander. Yeah I was seeing water temps up in the 210s to 221 as a high last time at Summit (August)

DethWshBkr

Bike is getting a solid overhaul.
Found a mouse nest above the throttle bodies, under the airbox. No mouse, just the little home!

IMG_20220108_162927793~2.jpg

Went to check the valves and found 2 lightly tight exhaust valves, and 1 VERY loose intake. Compression was low on cylinder #3, by about 15 psi under spec. All others are in spec, but on the lower end. Decided to pull the whole thing apart.

IMG_20220114_151949489~3.jpg

IMG_20220114_232037850~4.jpg
IMG_20220114_233127825~2.jpg
Glad I did. Found 7 intake valves leaking, 2 exhaust valves leaking, and the high clearance valve was bent (but not leaking ?!)

Bike getting a complete set of rings, new valve, relapping all valves, DynoJet fuel programmer (which richens up a ton based on the map I saw) AIS and ExUp removal.
Piston skirts and cylinder don't show any appreciable wear. Still going to hone them out of course. Nice to see cross hatching in the cylinders and smooth horizontal machined surface on the skirts. Pretty impressive the lack of wear these engines show despite their high RPM.

Found my plugs (I put them in when I bought the bike) to be very white, so this tells me again, that the bike has been running very lean. 25358.jpeg

Not sure if the high temp/lean situation could have stuck the valve, but it was clearly bent and worn on the top.
That's one reason I don't like to scream a bike in a non-race situation. I know it's not the fastest, but it's not hurting me "that" badly to short shift and keep her off the rev limiter.

Excited to get into the new season....my goal will be to get out of novice class. Planning on getting on track near the front of left lane, so hopefully that helps too! Been content to get out near the back overall, but then it's been hurting me, not being able to ride at a pace I want.

Come on spring!

Last edited: