2006 R6 SS Tail section question......

noupf

Hey guys, i just received my ss kit for my 06 R6 and am pretty happy so far. My buddy and I installed the tail section tonight and we came across one issue. We noticed that once the tail section was installed, that it moves up and down consideribly. The area of the tail I am speaking of is back where the tail light would be on the sub frame. Its like I need to either screw it down ( but finding a bolt hole after the tail is installed wont be easy ), or put some sort of spacer on the rear most section of the sub-frame to take up the space and keep the tail raised. If none of this is done, the tail would bounce up and down, whacking the back portion of the sub frame.

Am I missing something here?

cartmen34

I was worried about the same thing when I did mine but it came out very nice and secure.

Here's how I mounted up the SS tail section on my '07: http://postimage.org/image/5dh4c4kk/

I used an extra set of screws to bolt the draft shield to the tail. Other than that I used the 4 stock mounting points and hardware under the seat, and the stock mounting points and hardware at the front of the draft shield. The most important part of making it hold was the two black plastic snap 'screws' at the front of the draft shield. As soon as I snapped those into place the whole thing was VERY solid. It is so secure I can grab the tail and hold it while I stick the rear stand under the bike.

I hope this helps!

noupf

cartmen34;215230 wrote: I was worried about the same thing when I did mine but it came out very nice and secure.

Here's how I mounted up the SS tail section on my '07: http://postimage.org/image/5dh4c4kk/

I used an extra set of screws to bolt the draft shield to the tail. Other than that I used the 4 stock mounting points and hardware under the seat, and the stock mounting points and hardware at the front of the draft shield. The most important part of making it hold was the two black plastic snap 'screws' at the front of the draft shield. As soon as I snapped those into place the whole thing was VERY solid. It is so secure I can grab the tail and hold it while I stick the rear stand under the bike.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. We did the same thing pretty much, but if you were to grab the very back of the tail section and lift it up and down, there is about 2 inches of play in there. As it sits now, i would NOT want to grab the tail section to put a rear stand in place.

I noticed on the superbike tail ( the one that uses the foam pad ), there is a spot on the top/ back portion of the tail for one bolt to hold the tail to the sub frame. I have the supersport tail ( like yours i assume )......and that bolt hole is not there. I'm sure if I really try, i can line up that bolt hole on the back of the subframewith its corresponding point on the indie of the tail section, but its gonna be a bitch to mark it and then get in there and drill it out.

:dunno:

ps..... where did you get those tank sliders from?

Landshark

Control Rider
I used those lil plastic push rivets that came on the sock panels to mount the draft sheild. On the tail i used the stock biolt down through the top. Use a cut off pencil to mark the hole from the bottom.