2010 CBR 1k Suspension upgrades

CBR-Los

I’m new to the track. This season was my first and after 3 track day’s I’m thinking about upgrading my suspension. I’m a novice but try to brake as late and hard as my skill level will allow. My current suspension set up seems balanced for my weight; 215lbs with full gear. I had me bike and set up looked at when I was NJMP early in this season and was told I should be good to go for my skill level. However, since the skill level is changing(EVER SO SLOWLY) there are times when my front tire loses traction(especially at NC bikes turn 1), or I find my rear tire floating in the air as I’m trying to set up a turn. And there are also moments when I feel the bike is runwide on corner exit after I “think” I’ve hit my apex correctly.
Most of you N2 cats are much more experienced than I am. What do you recommend I start with when thinking of suspension upgrades. I’m on a budget, however, that budget changes with every bit of confidence I gain on the track!
Thanks in advanced for any and all replies!

bmart

Control Rider
Good suspension set up for you increases safety and reduces risk. The flip side of that coin is what skills are you going after? I routinely get passed by much better riders on far inferior equipment. They're working on their skills. This is a big reason that I run an old 600 w/no driver aids. My track day goal is always the same, improve my skills and add to my personal toolbox. (Both bikes have minimal mods: suspension, stainless brake line, air filter, slip on, gearing change.)

If the suspension is nearing the limit of what it can do, then it is time for a move for safety reasons. If not, it would be a financial decision for me. Is that $1k worth it, or would it be better spent on more training and tires?

CBR-Los

Very good point. And I totally agree. I definitely need to work on my skills, especially corner entry. I plan on doubling my track time, and tire budget, next season. But I’m sure you’ll agree with my next point; confidence is priceless.
The more research I do the more I believe my first step will be to put a zip tie on one fork leg to see if I’m using all of my suspension travel as it is currently set up now. Then consult a pro.
Perhaps what I believe is an equipment issue is simply a culmination of inadequate skill and improperly tuned equipment.
Appreciate the feedback Brad!

bmart

Control Rider
there are times when my front tire loses traction(especially at NC bikes turn 1), or I find my rear tire floating in the air as I’m trying to set up a turn.

Unencumbered by any additional info, here's my $.02 on these.

Check tire pressure and sag on both ends. I've never slid the front at NC Bike in turn 1....going either way. :p I suspect that what you might find is that you're putting pressure on the inner bar, twisting the forks/wheel. If so, you'll want to fix that. The opportunity for losing the front will increase as you increase speed and lean angle.

The rear can come off of the ground under extreme braking. many times it can be fixed by lengthening your braking time/distance and using less force. Moving your weight to the rear a bit can also help a lot.