2018 - Acceptable Oil Filter Brands?

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
Mid Ohio are not banning all Hiflo any more. But they are still banning any filter that has the nut welded on the end of it (including hiflo) as well as all K&N filters.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Mid Ohio are not banning all Hiflo any more. But they are still banning any filter that has the nut welded on the end of it (including hiflo) as well as all K&N filters.

Side note, but I'm pretty sure Mid Ohio replicates what an oil covered track would feel like every morning until the track dries up at noon.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider

Yeah, they banned the hiflo filters with nuts because they look like k&n I guess. Even though to my knowledge there are zero reported hiflo failures. Doh!

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Side note, but I'm pretty sure Mid Ohio replicates what an oil covered track would feel like every morning until the track dries up at noon.
You'd think mid-O would be OK since you could not tell the difference if oiled spilled on their track!

bmart

Control Rider
Talked to the Mobil filter guys today. They're made by Champion. The auto and bike filters are the same filtration and quality. The bike one has a metal shaft inside. The car one is nylon. As it turns out, it is all marking as the nylon one is stronger. His advice, buy whichever you like for the car or bike. they'll do the same job. It looks like that or Bosch for me. I've used both for years in all of my cars/bikes without issue.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Neither of my failures were at the nut, from the spot welds or whatever. I actually caught mine before they had a chance to fail. They simply didn't seal at the O ring and would seep oil every time I'd blip the throttle (and oil pressure increased accordingly). 100% chance it would have let loose out on track. No doubt about it.

This... My street bike's K&N oil filter started seeping oil once (noticed it while my bike was parked) even though I have several torque wrenches and use them all the time, including for my oil filter. It was getting close to being time for an oil change so I, again, used a K&N filter and torqued it as well. No issues. I wasn't aware of a recall on the filters so I thought nothing of it other than that little voice in the back of my head wondering "Did I (or didn't I) tighten my oil

Did I just revive this 'dead horse'?