2018 N2 track day bike prep - Where's everyone at?

MrFrzz

slow and wide

Thanks Ron, the guy that's been training my wife and I is a fantastic instructor. I'll be coming to RRR with him in a few weeks. I'm trying to keep focused on the fact that the "software" under the helmet is just as, if not more, important than the "hardware," and to keep my mental focus sharp. I've only been able to practice on the street, where I will not "push" or ride "hard" anymore. So I'm sure the track will put me outside of my comfort zone and make me really use those mental tools that I'm picking up.

That was the turning point that really got my wife to accept motorcycling about 2-1/2 years ago before she let me get my first. I told her that the Good Lord could call me home at any point, where I was making a sammich in the kitchen or riding a motorcycle. Now She's got two bikes, and is planning to do track days with me next year. We take training classes together and ride everywhere together - and she puts me to shame with how quickly she picks things up.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
"What if" is a good thing. So long as the reaction is not always "No". If you're thinking of the variables involved, the risk, the consequences, and the reward, it's just plain common sense. If you're looking for any possible thing that could go wrong and then just go into complete risk avoidance, then this probably isn't the sport you'd be interested in.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Speaking for myself, I think that "what if" is a great tool, as well as a natural built in defense mechanism. We should us it in some circumstances and ignore it in others. I use it all of the time when considering a pass on the track, or setting a speed in the mountains on a deserted road. Like any other tool, one has to learn how to use it. For me, it isn't about being scared or fear.

It can also be used to progress. If someone comes by you on the track and is moving just a tick faster than you were going, you could ask yourself, "what if" I try to hang with them for a corner or two...or a lap to see what I can learn.

Happy to discuss. It is a pertinent topic.

That's pretty awesome insight actually, and falls in line with what I'm being taught - Take the negative and make a positive. Which is exactly what you've done. His concern is that If I see someone wipe out, I'll get that little voice that's says "you're next", and I need to make it into a positive to make that NOT happen. :)

sorry to derail and get us off topic lol

Jason DeBoer

It's nice. I wouldn't have bought it, but my dash got cracked in an off, and I got a smokin deal on it. I honestly don't mess with it much. It's nice to have the laptimer built in, but I don't download any data or anything...I use like 5% of what it can do.

How do you like the starlane dashboard? I’ve been eyeing that thing for ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFrzz

slow and wide
Took a moment to look at the CBR front brakes yesterday since its been to a couple of track days from the previous owner..... Needless to say, I dont think they'll pass tech .... Just ordered Vesrah RJL's. Next weekend project - Brake fluid flush and new pads! probably go ahead and change the "earl" while I've got it down.

MrFrzz

slow and wide
The bike just turned over 4k miles today, and I know it has AT LEAST 2 track days on it, but in looking at the pads on the front, they are well under half material left up front. I'm hoping the rear will pass as they look to be at about 75%.

bmart

Control Rider
:whistle:

I'm a bit disappointed about having to skip the last weekend with the funds going to the unexpected Subaru repair. Such is life. It has been a strange year all around.

Still, there is off season maintenance to get to. The B bike really needs nothing as it gets ridden so infrequently, usually by a buddy who doesn't have a track bike. The A-bike will be going from the stock 532 chain setup to a 520 (thanks for the input in another thread, all). We'll see if it lasts the same 15k miles or so (it is still in spec!). Also considering putting the 90 degree valves on at least all of the front wheels. I've had them in a box for a few years. Add the usual fluid flushes and systems checks, along with some air cleaner oiling. And a water pump bearing/seal which has been dripping when cold for a month or two. The advance warning (small leak) is a really nice feature. :meatball:

And then there is the annual gear cleaning and conditioning. My cheap a$$ might actually break out a new pair of Held Phantom gloves I've been saving. The current pair has repairs on three finger tips. They're getting thin... And a new X-14 I picked up on clearance. Nothing like a new helmet!

...and then then the street bikes will get some love too with their annual cleaning (really...) and then brake fluid flushes just before the season starts.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
And then there is the annual gear cleaning and conditioning. My cheap a$$ might actually break out a new pair of Held Phantom gloves I've been saving. The current pair has repairs on three finger tips. They're getting thin... And a new X-14 I picked up on clearance. Nothing like a new helmet!

I really like my X-14. Very stable at high speed.