209/211/slicks

lplonske

struggling with tire selection here guys!
after years of being tatooed Pirelli, i recently switched to Dunlop. I'm not too familiar with the hierarchy.
i run in the front of :i: with NESBA and :a: with other orgs.
i currently am on 209gpa mega deal tires i like these because they're a screaming deal, i was fine with the performance with the exception of some tearing at Blackhawk

would i really benefit from 211's?

or should i go balls deep into some N-TEC slick (last longer?)?

help me out guys

Kegger

The Dunlop pro will probably give you a factual answer, but this is my personal experience. Let me preface that I am by no means a fast guy, and I rarely spin up the rear or push the front. I am probably similar to your pace based on your description. I also dont know jack shit about tires so take it FWIW.

The n-tec slicks are well worth the extra money to me. I have never had a problem with tear on any tire Ive used, but a set of the Dot's was always spent in 4 days.(by spent I mean they were at or past the wear bars, getting squirrely and it was noticeable) I switched to the n-tec slicks and now I get 6-7 days before the flip and another day or two(depending on the track) so close to 4 weekends. They arent a full double the price, but I am getting double the time out of them. They wear evenly and they wear like iron. When I do take them off its only because they are significantly past the buttons and not because I have noticed a big degradation in traction. I do not know if that will continue to hold true as my pace increases. Since tire wear varies by rider style, and bike HP, your mileage may vary, but those were/are my results. :dunno:

JRA

The 211 GP's and slicks last longer than the GPA's, I think that's been well established. How much longer will probably differ from rider to rider, but for me I believe that even though the UK made tires are more expensive they are actually a better value. I've also been told that there is some evidence now that the GPA's are offering better initial grip than the GP's so it's no wonder these tires are turning super fast lats in racing. There are arguments to be made for both the GPA's and the GP's based on how much you have to spend and what you are looking for out of your tires.

If the new US made slicks become available to us I'd be very interested to try those as well. I'd also be interested to know what the pricing might look like.

Thinkmoto

I called RTS, had a very long and very informative conversation with Steve. I was pretty deadset on the Q2's....after our conversation i went with the 209's. I'm a track day newb and my 1st day was great, tires are the least of my problems. Next time around I might give the 211's a try.

dbakerpa

The 211s were excellent. They require some suspension adjustment to get optimized feedback. They do wear like iron compared to pirellis

lplonske

finally said fugg it and bought the N-TECs. they are saweet! it was a good decision and well worth the $$

DUNLOP-RTS

lplonske;186474 wrote: struggling with tire selection here guys!
after years of being tatooed Pirelli, i recently switched to Dunlop. I'm not too familiar with the hierarchy.
i run in the front of :i: with NESBA and :a: with other orgs.
i currently am on 209gpa mega deal tires i like these because they're a screaming deal, i was fine with the performance with the exception of some tearing at Blackhawk

would i really benefit from 211's?

or should i go balls deep into some N-TEC slick (last longer?)?

help me out guys
All your comments are well taken. Thanks for the props on the D211GPA guys!

The performance facts on the N-Tec slicks that Kegger give are correct. They do last longer, but you will pay more.

My advice for you is to take the next step up. Try the D211GPA. If you are happy, stick with that. If you want more, go to the D211GP, and more then go to the N-Tec slicks.

Progression:

Q2
D209GPA (stock is almost gone for this product)
D211GPA 1.5-2.0 sec per lap better than D209GPA
D211GP 0-0.5 sec better than D211GPA
N-Tec Slicks, Simply the best.

Keep in mind that the D211GPA is the spec tire for the AMA. EVERY rider and team uses this tire and track records are broken most every event. Its a good tire, and well worth your time to try it. It is also N-Tec construction, just like the D211GP and the slick. Its American made, and no offense to the Brits, but I would rather employ my neighbor rather than someone overseas.

S3aturnR

DUNLOP-RTS;188842 wrote: Progression:

Q2
D209GPA (stock is almost gone for this product)
D211GPA 1.5-2.0 sec per lap better than D209GPA
D211GP 0-0.5 sec better than D211GPA
N-Tec Slicks, Simply the best.
if i have no immediate plans to run tire warmers and do about 90% of my riding on the track, should i stay with the Q2 or can the DOTs handle that kind of heat cycle abuse???

s3aturnr

DUNLOP-RTS

S3aturnR;189656 wrote: if i have no immediate plans to run tire warmers and do about 90% of my riding on the track, should i stay with the Q2 or can the DOTs handle that kind of heat cycle abuse???

s3aturnr
There is no issue with "Heat Cycle Abuse" with the Q2 or the D211GPA.

If you are comfortable with the Q2 and feel the grip is sufficient for you, stick with them. No need to change. But if you desire to step up, the D211GPA is the next logical step.

Use of warmers is strictly optional for either tire. Both will perform at their peak when up to temp, whether its from a warmer or 2 laps of warm-up.