209gpa wear

bmart

Control Rider
Gotcha. I define cupping as something different. Yours looks like you ride mostly at that same lean angle, so naturally, it wore the most there.

DUNLOP-RTS

matt2212;194071 wrote: two at barber one at summit point, cbr 600

I'm not dissatisfied, the wear just seamed a little different from what other tires had done on my bike before. This is my first set of dunlops so I'm just trying to learn. Maybe its a set up problem?
Fully understood. I just want to help you out getting it to work better. I see the picture and what is happening is called "Tearing". Some use the term "Cold tearing" some say "Hot tearing", but its all under the heading of "Tearing". The wear is accelerating and the tire will be consumed faster when this is occurring. Often riders will be happy with the grip and performance if the tire, then when they look at the tire they feel there is a big problem. But before they looked, everything performed very well.

If you were using the tire at Jersey, Jennings, PBIR or Roebling, I would say its just an abrasive track and that's what happens with a soft tire at an abrasive track.

But Barber and Summit are not as abrasive. The issue is not going to be fixed with making small changes in PSI. The source of the issue is the SETUP. A chassis guy can help you fully. If you don't have a chassis setup guy to work with you, try softening the rebound damping. Always run the recommended PSI, 23 rear hot off the warmers. Don't keep changing it after each session.

If you have a stock shock, that certainly is the issue. Its time to step up and get a good shock. :doh:

For correct PSI/Warmer procedures, go here: http://www.dunlopracing.com/Warmers.pdf :rtfm:

For correct PSI recommendations, go here: http://www.dunlopracing.com/Pressures.pdf :rtfm:

I hope this help you out. Let me know if you have more questions.

DUNLOP-RTS

bmart;194070 wrote: I love my 209GPA tires and they seem to wear well for me riding in "A." I get 4-5 days our of a rear and there is plenty for tread left for street riding. No complaints here!

I still don't see anything bad in the posted pics.

Here's a pic of mine with four days on it, two of them at "CMP the tire eater."

IMG_0391.JPG
This is a very good example of someone that has a good setup. Along with this good setup they are able to run soft compound tires at a very abrasive track, while running in the "A" group. The tire looks great! Well done on your setup.

This illustrates that its not the tires fault every time things don't look good. the chassis can make or break the tire wear.

Tires and chassis are a team. One must have the other and they must work in harmony to get a good result.

As riders progress from "I" to "A" and beyond, the chassis becomes more and more important.

matt2212

Steve and others,
thankyou, I just popped for a new olhlins rear shock so a little time with a tuner will hopefull fix the problem.

CptCurt

DUNLOP-RTS;194043 wrote: WOW, 12 laps in just 1 day? you must not have ridden all the sessions. ;)

Honestly, that tire was never intended to be a 100 lap tire at Jersey. Jersey is hard on all tires, especially soft ones.

OK, so you may not have liked it. But there are many who did save lots on using that tire with a discounted price. no need to knock it if it was not for your pace.

Lets be more constructive.

Don't hide behind "Someone in the know", say who it is. Be upfront. Give the context it was said in.
http://www.markbiltracebikes.com/mark/index.php

I paid to make sure my stock suspension was set up properly for me after seeing the right side devoured after one day at Lightning (with the first two 1/2 hour sessions with a wet track and a Thunderstorm which cancelled the last session.) Ran another full day at Thunderbolt and right side was down to nothing after the second track day. Should have flipped it maybe? To be honest, I'm definitely not any faster than a mid intermidiate group pace. I don't run warmers and I started at 24 and 34 psi. cold. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in that area. :notsure:
Regardless, I had wear like the original post and if I'm only getting two track days out of a rear I need to go back to what was working for me. I guess I'll agree with you that the med/soft tire might not be the proper tire for the NJ tracks. Not bashing Dunlop honest:)

bmart

Control Rider
Which model tire are you running at those cold pressures? (which pressure is which tire?)

CptCurt

209 GP-A, 24 psi cold in rear, 34 psi cold in front
Like said in one of the previous replies from Dunlop...maybe time for a rear shock up grade. Didn't think I was riding fast enough to over work it.

Mikey75702

I am pretty sure the 209 and the 211 use around the same pressures, and I'm running 31? front, 24? Rear off the warmers.... I'm wondering if your pressures aren't a bit too high.

Mikey75702

ZeroBahamutxRR;193657 wrote: Go to Dunlop's web page and go to the tire secotion at the top. The 209 GP-A is a dual compound. You can see it in the picture.
I stand corrected....

Just looked at pressures too, looks like 30f/21r cold. So your pressures were probably off a bit.

bmart

Control Rider
Steve may chime in, but those pressures are pretty high. Chase the cheap problems first! :)

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
CptCurt;194275 wrote: 209 GP-A, 24 psi cold in rear, 34 psi cold in front
Like said in one of the previous replies from Dunlop...maybe time for a rear shock up grade. Didn't think I was riding fast enough to over work it.
Don't sell yourself short. You were riding well the last time I rode with you at NJ.

Your pressures are too high. Drop them down. 31F 23R Hot is a good place to start. I would set them at 29F 20R cold for those tires since you do not have warmers. After the first session come right in and check the pressures to see if you are hitting the hot pressures. I bet you are going to see a world of difference in how the bike handles, especially turning with the correct pressures.

I remember talking with you about how your bike handles. It looked like you were having a hard time getting the bike to turn. I actually suggested you get your stock suspension set-up. No doubt that swapping out the shock will make a huge difference but get the pressure correct first. When are you riding next? If I am there look me up and I will give you my experience and observations about the 209's.

DUNLOP-RTS

CptCurt;194248 wrote: http://www.markbiltracebikes.com/mark/index.php

I paid to make sure my stock suspension was set up properly
The key to this is "Stock Suspension".

Mark at Markbuilt is good as setting up bikes, but there is only some much a guru can do with stock suspension.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Its just combination of abrasive track, soft tire, stock suspension and your lap times that make for the perfect storm. I would suggest you stick to the recommended PSI (33 front, 23 rear hot. or 31 front, 21 rear cold if you don't have warmers). You could split hairs on the pressure (you were a little high), but really the biggest issue is the stock shock. A couple PSI off with a good shock should not result in that bad a tear.

Consider going to the D211GPA Med front and rear. I think you will have much better success with that. IF not, then spend the $ for the good shock, Mark will have one for you and get you set up and rolling much better than you are now.

Unfortunately as riders get faster the equipment get more expensive.

Thinkmoto

My 209's look great after 3 trackdays at blackhawk farms. I just had a baseline suspension setup done on my 3rd trackday with all stock suspension on my R6. I'm a slow Intermediate rider and I don't use warmers.

CptCurt

jcurtis;194323 wrote: Don't sell yourself short. You were riding well the last time I rode with you at NJ.

Your pressures are too high. Drop them down. 31F 23R Hot is a good place to start. I would set them at 29F 20R cold for those tires since you do not have warmers. After the first session come right in and check the pressures to see if you are hitting the hot pressures. I bet you are going to see a world of difference in how the bike handles, especially turning with the correct pressures.

I remember talking with you about how your bike handles. It looked like you were having a hard time getting the bike to turn. I actually suggested you get your stock suspension set-up. No doubt that swapping out the shock will make a huge difference but get the pressure correct first. When are you riding next? If I am there look me up and I will give you my experience and observations about the 209's.
I should be back at Thunderbolt on July 18th with another new 209 on the rear. If you are there, we can discuss. I'll be sure to start with the lower recommended pressures. Thanks Jim and Steve.