7/30 Lightning @ NJMP

YOLOrider87

Second Track Day with N2 this month, I'm hooked and plan on returning in August for a double header :) Any insight on this particular track? I am told it is a "fast" track which reminds me of Summit Point Main (ten turns and nice straight). Look forward to building on my technique and meeting new people as always, I'll be there Sunday the 30th.

CBRtist

Hey KJ! While I've ridden Lightning, I'm not one to dispense advice about it. Hopefully some of the cool kids will chime in on this. Otherwise have a great day and this time I'm sure I'll see you around!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Lightning is a very flowing, fast track. I've actually only ridden it once before (though I'll be there next weekend too), but IMHO there are really only two turns that really get people messed up. Turn 1 is much faster than people think, and the blind exit messes with your head. Turn 7 is the slowest, and sets you up for entry into the bowl (9 - where you'll get to really practice getting off the bike).

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with Bill. I'll add that turn 4, the first left-hander, also catches people out in the morning when tires aren't warmed up. (don't ask me how I know!) Turn 5 is also a bit tricky - it's important to stay inside and hit the apex, as it is off-camber, the track falls away from you. So you don't want to end up missing the apex and taking it wide.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Turn 5 is also a bit tricky - it's important to stay inside and hit the apex, as it is off-camber, the track falls away from you. So you don't want to end up missing the apex and taking it wide.

THIS!!! Personal experience has taught me T5 is the scariest part of the track...well, at least when you miss the apex and run wide...

Greg ZX6R

Lightning is a fast track with only 3 left handers, so it's highly possible the tire's right side will get chewed quite a bit. It can also be a bit frustrating if you're on a smaller bike and trying to keep up or pass the bigger bikes.

YOLOrider87

Agree with Bill. I'll add that turn 4, the first left-hander, also catches people out in the morning when tires aren't warmed up. (don't ask me how I know!) Turn 5 is also a bit tricky - it's important to stay inside and hit the apex, as it is off-camber, the track falls away from you. So you don't want to end up missing the apex and taking it wide.

Gotcha, I'll have my tires on warmers after tech so I wont have to worry about cold tires and focus more on my lines and hitting the apex on t5! Running wide on a turn is not the way I want to start off my morning session.

Lightning is a fast track with only 3 left handers, so it's highly possible the tire's right side will get chewed quite a bit. It can also be a bit frustrating if you're on a smaller bike and trying to keep up or pass the bigger bikes.

I'm riding a CBR600RR which i'm fairly comfortable with, I'm still fairly new to track days and am nowhere near close to out riding the performance of a 600 cc yet. I rode Summit Main and found myself keeping up well, again this was in a novice group. I'm sure in the I & A group that'll be a different story.

jhuff1219

Control Rider
Welcome KJ. Lightning is certainly fast and fun but I'm not sure about the frustrating part. Turn 1 (right hander) most folks don't carry enough speed, braking too early/hard. Turn 4 (left hander) gets folks with cold tires or missing turn 3 apex and running wide. Turn 5 (right hander) gets a lot of folks who miss the apex and because it is off-camber (too much throttle/too much lean angle). Turn 7 (left hander) gets a lot of folks because they miss the apex and/or are carrying too much entry speed. So in summary, hit your apexes and you'll have a great time. As for the frustration part, I also have a CBR600RR ("small bike") and I can show you where and how to run down and pass those "big bikes". :D

YOLOrider87

Welcome KJ. Lightning is certainly fast and fun but I'm not sure about the frustrating part. Turn 1 (right hander) most folks don't carry enough speed, braking too early/hard. Turn 4 (left hander) gets folks with cold tires or missing turn 3 apex and running wide. Turn 5 (right hander) gets a lot of folks who miss the apex and because it is off-camber (too much throttle/too much lean angle). Turn 7 (left hander) gets a lot of folks because they miss the apex and/or are carrying too much entry speed. So in summary, hit your apexes and you'll have a great time. As for the frustration part, I also have a CBR600RR ("small bike") and I can show you where and how to run down and pass those "big bikes". :D

I like the sound of that! Will you be in attendance that weekend?