9/4 b group.

alsaleen

I was wondering if anyone had information on the riders involved in the wreck during the last session in b group.

WE are keeping them in our thoughts and hoping for the best, please do the same.

nk140

alsaleen;211870 wrote: I was wondering if anyone had information on the riders involved in the wreck during the last session in b group.

WE are keeping them in our thoughts and hoping for the best, please do the same.
:agree: Scary seeing a helicopter come to the track

MikeyR6

alsaleen;211870 wrote: I was wondering if anyone had information on the riders involved in the wreck during the last session in b group.

Thanks for your concern, guys. The rider that went down was my dad, Phil, on the '99 Gixxer 600 #302. We are still at Rockford Memorial Hospital, but at this time he seems to have suffered 3 broken ribs and both lungs partially collapsed. There were chest x-rays taken this morning and we're hoping to get released soon. He isn't having any pain when breathing, but some stabbing pain when he twists his torso or tries to sit up. Expected after some broken ribs.

He doesn't have much of a memory as to what happened, but he gets fuzzy images here and there. He was unconscious on or shortly after impact. Before airlift came in, I got word from Fred that he was conscious and knew he was at the track with me, but my dad's first memory was being in the chopper on the way to the hospital.

He's a little drugged up, but initial indications are very positive. We'll keep you posted as information develops. I'd like to extend my gratitude to Fred and the NESBA group and the BFR medical staff for the handling of the situation.

Update as I'm typing this (slowly) on my phone, the nurse said the chest xray came back okay, so we should be getting out of here soon :) Thanks again to everyone for their thoughs and prayers.

-Mike
#11 B Group - 05 R6

alsaleen

Thanks for letting us know, we are wishing him a fast recovery and will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

was there another rider involved?

algreen

Hi Mike,
I was pitted next to you in the garage, with the silver '06 gixxer. It was a pleasure to meet you and Phil and, like everyone, hoping to see you both at the track next season. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

eE jeremy

I was the CR right in front of him and Nolan was the CR right behind him if he wants to talk about what happened.

ctrank

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting an update. It was a really sad way to end such a wonderful day at the track, but I'm relieved to hear that things weren't worse. I really enjoyed talking with you and your Dad throughout the day and working together on the track. You were both riding so well! I think it's awesome you get to share time together with your Dad on the track ...

We packed your things in the trailer, everything but the bikes. Sorry if it's a little disorganized. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I don't live far from the track and I could always run up there and get your things, whatever.

Heal up fast Phil!!

beac83

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that your Dad is going to be OK. I was pulling out when the helicopter came into view. It never want to see that. I've been thinking about you and your Dad all day today, and to hear that he's going to be OK is a relief.

I was pitted with Alex (blue GXSR) and talked with your Dad a lot over the weekend.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Phil. Let us know if you need anything.

pauskings

Hello ALL,

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for your comments and concerns. I have heard many supportive comments from several NESBIANS. I am the one who took a helicopter ride out of Blackhawk on Sunday, after a crash, before turn one, during Sunday's last session. I was comforted with your messages during my hospital stay. I am home now with only two cracked ribs from the ordeal. (LUCKY ME)

Jeremy & Nolan,
I knew that there was a control rider ahead of me (four bikes up I think) but did not know that Nolan was right behind me, that's great because he must have captured a good view of the event. I have many missing parts from my memory after passing the start / finish line seconds before the crash and would appreciate any comments that you two could share so that I can better understand the mistakes that were made and use that information to make me a better rider in the furure. I have been thinking about the crash a lot and talking through it with my son Mike. I beleive I have come up with a series of moves and choices that contrbuted to the crash and would like to hear your comments as well. Thanks Guys!

Phil Auskings
B Group #302

Derick

I was in the pits with Craig and Alex behind you on the blue R6. Heal up fast, hope to see you out again

MikeyR6

ctrank;211896 wrote: It was a really sad way to end such a wonderful day at the track, but I'm relieved to hear that things weren't worse.

We packed your things in the trailer, everything but the bikes. Sorry if it's a little disorganized. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I don't live far from the track and I could always run up there and get your things, whatever.
Boy, you're telling me! My stomach dropped when I heard the "whop, whop, whop" of the chopper coming in. That 16 mile trip to the hospital was the longest drive EVER.

Thanks for gathering up our stuff. After he got out of the trauma center and went up for observation, I went back to the track and loaded up the bikes. It sure made it easier loading in the dark having everything in one spot! Thanks a ton! That was our last planned outing for the year, so I'll catch up with you next season.

algreen;211888 wrote:
I was pitted next to you in the garage, with the silver '06 gixxer. It was a pleasure to meet you and Phil and, like everyone, hoping to see you both at the track next season. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.
He was on some pretty good pain killers in the recovery room last night talking up your bike saying how he'd like to find "a deal like Alex got." :)

Thanks again to everyone.

MikeyR6

Daddyjama;211946 wrote: Yo.. Are u military mike and ur dad Phil that I run into at road America every year??
Nope, must be a different Mike and Phil. I tried to join the Army Reserves, but they wouldn't take me due to my past history of asthma and red-green color deficiency. No military for me. :eek:

phkz24

Just seeing this now...Phil sorry to hear about the down, heal up fast. Mike, you and your dad are always great to hang with at the track and look forward to seeing you at the track next year, maybe i'll even ride :)

Both of you take it easy this off season.

jfbryan

Wow. This is great news. There were a whole lot of worried folks standing around the track after the red flag that last session and when the chopper came in my heart sank. So glad to hear the injuries were not more serious. Heal up fast!

Nolan1000

pauskings;211934 wrote:
Jeremy & Nolan,
I knew that there was a control rider ahead of me (four bikes up I think) but did not know that Nolan was right behind me, that's great because he must have captured a good view of the event. I have many missing parts from my memory after passing the start / finish line seconds before the crash and would appreciate any comments that you two could share so that I can better understand the mistakes that were made and use that information to make me a better rider in the furure. I have been thinking about the crash a lot and talking through it with my son Mike. I beleive I have come up with a series of moves and choices that contrbuted to the crash and would like to hear your comments as well. Thanks Guys!

Phil Auskings
B Group #302
Glad to see you able to post here Phil and I hope you heal up just as quickly. When that last session went out I was the last CR in line but not enough members went out so when I saw you and I think Mike go out with Chad I decided to follow. They started to gap you a bit so I decided that I would stay and work with you since we had talked after a session earlier in the day. You were riding very well. Jeremy and the rider he was working with were coming up behind us so I waved them by going into T6. When we got on to the front straight I could tell that you, Jeremy and couple other riders were gaining on the traffic ahead very rapidly. As soon as you passed the tower into the braking zone you were right on the rider in front of you at the left edge of the track. Next thing I know you veered left into the grass and must have been on the front brake because you instantly hit the ground. You barrel rolled feet toward the track all the way past the last brake marker. Your bike was flipping not far behind you. It was a very scary sight to see. My advice for the future would be to repeatedly tap the rear brake only if you run off into the grass and stay light on the bars. It will help help you decrease speed and remain upright. I am relieved that you are okay and hope that what I saw helps jog your memory of what you experienced.

JOWEE

I hope you heal up fast phil, It's a terrible feeling to see people get hurt doing the things they love to do. Hopefully we will see you back soon.

pauskings

Nolan1000;212090 wrote: Glad to see you able to post here Phil and I hope you heal up just as quickly. When that last session went out I was the last CR in line but not enough members went out so when I saw you and I think Mike go out with Chad I decided to follow. They started to gap you a bit so I decided that I would stay and work with you since we had talked after a session earlier in the day. You were riding very well. Jeremy and the rider he was working with were coming up behind us so I waved them by going into T6. When we got on to the front straight I could tell that you, Jeremy and couple other riders were gaining on the traffic ahead very rapidly. As soon as you passed the tower into the braking zone you were right on the rider in front of you at the left edge of the track. Next thing I know you veered left into the grass and must have been on the front brake because you instantly hit the ground. You barrel rolled feet toward the track all the way past the last brake marker. Your bike was flipping not far behind you. It was a very scary sight to see. My advice for the future would be to repeatedly tap the rear brake only if you run off into the grass and stay light on the bars. It will help help you decrease speed and remain upright. I am relieved that you are okay and hope that what I saw helps jog your memory of what you experienced.
Nolan,
Thanks for the reply and your support at the track. I wanted you to understand what I saw on the track. As I completed turn 7 and headed down the straight I saw low traffic in front of me. There were two riders down track in front of me, positioned in the center of the track and staggered slightly, first rider dead center in the track and the trailing rider a little to the left. The left track lane was wide open and that was to be my track path to #4 braking marker. As I proceede through the gears I monitored the position of the two slower riders in front of me, they consistently held their positions as I continued at full bore. I kept my eye on them. They were consistent and slow in the same track lames, the left side of the track remained wide open. I stayed on what I considered the line on the left. As I passed the start line tower I gave another look at the two slow riders who were ahead of me, they remained slow in speed and consistent in position. At this time I decided to keep on the clearly open line to marker #4. Instantly WITHOUT WARNING the back rider of the pair changed lane position into my path. . Reaction time was short. My front wheel was to the left side of his bike and I both of us on the outside edge of the pavement.
I grabbed all the brake availabe to me but the momentum I had built combined with the other riders speed greatly limited my stopping efforts. I could not go right without taking the other guy with me, I could not slow my speed fast enough to avoid crash contact, I was still moving at a faster rate, my best choice for not taking out another rider was to go left torwards the grass. I only moved left about 10 inches (still on the brakes hard to avoid contact) when my front wheel caught the grass. I lost most memory at this point, although I do recall travelling past the woods and over the grass, interesting thing is; I was not tumbling as reported by other riders, I was floating like in a dreamlike state, very smooth, I even watched a control rider (Jeremy I think) glide smoothly throughb turn 1 (weird huh?)

A big learning experience for me is DON'T TRUST RIDERS IN FRONT OF YOU especially in B Group.

eE jeremy

Well you definitely weren't gliding you were barrel rolling like a mother for a long long time, i watched you since you were right next to me at this point.

Regardless of what the slower rider was doing, that outside/on the brakes pass should not have been attempted. I was near the slower rider, towards the inside/middle of the track. I had my CR shirt on and therefore you should have not made any attempt to pass me without a wave by. When I looked back to see what was coming down the straight as we approached turn 1 you were already on a crash course, there would be no way for you to not pass me, in fact you did pass me, but in the grass without your bike. Maybe you didn't see me as you headed down the straight, but a little patience on that pass would have definitely saved your butt.

I hope you heal up fast, and I'm glad you were able to put the pieces together.

pauskings

Jeremy,
You are correct. I made many mistakes and should not have attempted the pass. I did not see the orange Control Rider shirt, I think it was obstructed from my view at times by the guy behind you. Your advice for patience is well taken, my comfort zone includes a lot of patience, I will be following your advice. Thanks for your input.
Phil
B #302